• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240R RGB Fan placement (NZXT S340Elite, Asus X Apex)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gold333

Registered
Hi all,

I'm running into a dilemma.

My CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240R RGB manual is telling me to place my fans in front of the radiator like this:

2s7x6wi.jpg

But some reviews on the internet have them placed behind the radiator like so:

NZXT-S340-Elite-Review-on-KitGuru-Built-Rear-Left-34-Window-Off.jpg

Which is correct?

Seeing as they are RGB and feature lights it doesn't make sense to place them behind the radiator.

Can someone help a noob, I haven't built a PC in 10 years and I'm making dumb mistakes.

The build is a:

Asus X Apex
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240R RGB
G.Skill Trident Z 2x8gb 3200mhz 14's
WD Black 1TB NVMe Dimm.2
NZXT S340 Elite

I mean I have the same cooler and the fans are mounted in the same orientation as your pic above, but I am also top mounted not front mounted. Not sure if that makes any difference which way you mount them or what orientation push or pull behind or in front of the rad. But I my temps never get above 70s even when overclocking and doing stress tests and benchmarks, mid 50s when gaming.

But I am not very experienced or informed on this subject. Just my personal experience with this one cooler and my observations.

Ok so just did a little research on youtube and found it makes zero difference. Mount them however suits you and provides balanced air flow through you case. But the orientation of in front of behind the rad, makes absolutely no difference. Rather choosing either push or pull to correctly ventilate your case and not create negative pressure. The rad itself isn't there to cool your case, its there to directly cool components. The liquid is absorbing the heat and transferring it to the rad and fans are there to remove the heat from the rad to cool your CPU in this situation.

There is some conflicting data on that, then. With the usual caveat, YMMV.

I would say that his case has a good role to play in those results, the Define S is geared more towards those building custom water loops, in which event, the graphics card wouldn't play much of a part in the results. In a more air flow oriented case the results would probably show very little difference I suspect.

Also his setup with the top mounted would suggest an issue with negative pressure honestly, only 2 intakes and 3 exhaust, 1 of which is 140mm... With better intakes than stock case fans from another company and 3 of them perhaps different results as well. Balanced air flow is very key from the information I gathered.

Just saying, also more importantly which side of the rad the fans are mounted on, just plan for pull on the front for intake or push for top mount exhaust. The resistance of the rad is no different weather running in push or pull... unless considering push and pull, then there is a difference.

I would say that his case has a good role to play in those results, the Define S is geared more towards those building custom water loops, in which event, the graphics card wouldn't play much of a part in the results. In a more air flow oriented case the results would probably show very little difference I suspect.

Also his setup with the top mounted would suggest an issue with negative pressure honestly, only 2 intakes and 3 exhaust, 1 of which is 140mm... With better intakes than stock case fans from another company and 3 of them perhaps different results as well. Balanced air flow is very key from the information I gathered.

Just saying, also more importantly which side of the rad the fans are mounted on, just plan for pull on the front for intake or push for top mount exhaust. The resistance of the rad is no different weather running in push or pull... unless considering push and pull, then there is a difference.

Why would I pull the heat in the radiator back into my case?

This system is a negative pressure case and the temps are perfect. The 8700 doesn't go over 73c on prolonged full load.

Because the internals do not need as much cooling as the CPU. If you wanted every last degree C out of the CPU, then you would do it that way.

Back