• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core I3/I5 Clarkdale prices up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As stated in pretty much every review out there they are compatible with a BIOS update so it's up to the mobo makers. You just can't use the IGP on P55 boards naturally since they lack the necessary hardware.

Next question is can the IGP be disabled on P55 boards allowing the chip to run cooler?

Dunno, I didn't read anything that said such. There were no motherboard or BIOS details in any article I saw. However since the memory controller is on the IGP chip the chances of disabling it aren't great.

Speaking of that I think it's something people didn't realize or glossed over when reading articles. These CPUs are not merely 'half a Lynnfield' they are different because they don't have an IMC, instead the memory controller is on the 'northbridge' graphics chip and connected to the CPU proper by a QPI link. That's probably a good deal of the reason why they do not perform as one might expect.

Only hardware junkie constant upgrade gotta-have-new-stuff-because-it's-new-run-meaningless-benchmark people bought in to any 'hype,' which was thankfully missing any where I frequent so I'm not sure what the hype was about, anyway. What they wanted was some 32nm ubermiracle chip that would do mega-GHz ;) on air at low voltage. What they got instead was something that fits in perfectly to the Intel lineup, if not in raw clock frequency then in performance. I'm not really sure why anyone is terribly surprised about this CPU. Even not knowing any of the architecture details or performance figures it seemed likely the i5-750 would still be the best balance of price and performance, HT logical cores are nice but physical cores are nicer.

Only hardware junkie constant upgrade gotta-have-new-stuff-because-it's-new-run-meaningless-benchmark people bought in to any 'hype,' which was thankfully missing any where I frequent so I'm not sure what the hype was about, anyway. What they wanted was some 32nm ubermiracle chip that would do mega-GHz ;) on air at low voltage. What they got instead was something that fits in perfectly to the Intel lineup, if not in raw clock frequency then in performance. I'm not really sure why anyone is terribly surprised about this CPU.

I was reading a few reviews and it seems the 540 beats down on the E8500 and to me that's exactly what it was supposed to do. The shocking part was beating the Phenom II X4's in quite a few tests. Now while i admit the memory controller blows the I3 is a good chip for the money. The I5's however are grossly overpriced but still will sell for there high multi and 4Ghz+ overclockability.

i3 has 2 cores and no hyperthreading. the new i5 has 2 cores and hyperthreading. The existing i5 750 has 4 cores and no hyperthreading.

As I'm about to order new stuff for my new rig, should I get the i5 750 or wait for the new i5's? I'd imagine the price of i5 750 would drop when the new i5 comes out.

Reviews are few and far but one review suggests the new i5 are overclocker beasts because of smaller chip size.

Why would you want a dual core w/HT vs an actual quad core with no HT?

Same thread count but two more cores. And the new i5's are insanely priced for what your getting lol. Who would want a dual core i5 for the same (or more!!) than a C3 rev Phenom II?

Intel blows it again on pricing IMO, review sites like anandtech agree..

Same thread count but two more cores. And the new i5's are insanely priced for what your getting lol. Who would want a dual core i5 for the same (or more!!) than a C3 rev Phenom II?

I would and will. :bday:

Ha compared to a Phenom II I would take an I3 anyday. Dude I move to intel from a Phenom II quad at 3.9ghz, there is NO comparison. The I5 750 decimates the Phenom II, so I'm guessing the 600 series I5's will still beat Phenom II and the I3's will give them a run for the money.

Only hardware junkie constant upgrade gotta-have-new-stuff-because-it's-new-run-meaningless-benchmark people bought in to any 'hype,' which was thankfully missing any where I frequent so I'm not sure what the hype was about, anyway. What they wanted was some 32nm ubermiracle chip that would do mega-GHz ;) on air at low voltage. What they got instead was something that fits in perfectly to the Intel lineup, if not in raw clock frequency then in performance. I'm not really sure why anyone is terribly surprised about this CPU. Even not knowing any of the architecture details or performance figures it seemed likely the i5-750 would still be the best balance of price and performance, HT logical cores are nice but physical cores are nicer.

That does sound like me, and does sound like what I want :)

My original plan was an i5 750 on a new P55 motherboard, but changed my mind when I read the 01/07 release for Clarkdales. I thought the Clarkdales were a few months away. They seemed like a perfect fit for me, since nothing I do utilizes more than 2 cores. But your logic might finally be sinking in to me MadMan, I might stick with the original plan of a i5 750 and probably Maximus III Formula. Anyway, would hate to get the i5 670 and motherboard, only to learn I need to update the BIOS with no way to do it, and be SOL.

Wait for the gigabyte P55-ud7, first P55 board with full 16x/16x SLI/crossfire.

I'm not sure if there can be a true 16x/16x setup on ant s1156 board. s1156 is limited to max 16x PCIe bandwidth and you'd need some fancy hardware trick to get more.

I guess we'd have to wait and see for when there's a review of that motherboard with 16x/16x tested to it's limited and compared to other non s1156 board that can already handle true 16x/16x

Looking over the CPU reviews it seems the new i5 only shines at the best during power consuption. So I guess I'll stick with the i5 750 unless the i3 can perform better overall when overclocked. I haven't seen much of i3 overclocking result.

Thats what I thought as well. The PCIe lanes on the P55 chipset are on the CPU, not the motherboard!!!

EDIT: That board has the NF200 chip to add more PCIe lanes.. ;)

I have no interest in SLI\Crossfire. The main game I play is World of Warcraft, which responds horrible to dual GPU set ups. I found that out when back in the day, I tried to upgrade from a 8800GTS to a 9800GX2, and got a loss in performance. After that foray into dual GPU setups, I think I'm fine with one powerful card (hello, 5870 :) )

I have no interest in SLI\Crossfire. The main game I play is World of Warcraft, which responds horrible to dual GPU set ups. I found that out when back in the day, I tried to upgrade from a 8800GTS to a 9800GX2, and got a loss in performance. After that foray into dual GPU setups, I think I'm fine with one powerful card (hello, 5870 :) )

Yeah I just think you did something wrong. A single G92 core 9800gt is much stronger than a G80 core 8800gts....a gx2 is two 9800gt's, but as mentioned even if the game only scales one GPU you still should have had improvement.

Yeah I just think you did something wrong. A single G92 core 9800gt is much stronger than a G80 core 8800gts....a gx2 is two 9800gt's, but as mentioned even if the game only scales one GPU you still should have had improvement.

Nah, it was a G92 8800GTS 512mb.

Ah, well that'd be why LOL :)

Just to note I think it's funny that a CPU thread has turned into a gfx card discussion lol

This thread has just about covered everything. Starting at i3/i5 prices, and now up to graphics cards.

Back