• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

core/memory, which affects more?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
320/600 :p

If I understand things, the core is the greatest gain with GF4 cards (unlike the GF3 cards which were bandwidth thirsty).

Don't ask me why, I only tweak the things, I don't build 'em!! :D

depends on which card. SDRAM will usually benefits better from the greater mem bandwidth, higher mem clock while DDR usually will benefit from the higher core clock better.
i think G4s benefits about the same from both.

take a look at some of the anandtechs articles and you will find out whats better for yours.

i strongly think its core, i overclocked my gf2 ultra and perforamance actually went down if i raise my memory even one single noch so i had to run it on default, maybe it was my gf2? who knows, right now i just got my hands on gf4ti4200 128mb and i cant wait to play with it :D

I think it's the core (at least for the 8500). I get pretty much the same benchmark scores wether using the stock 250, or my insane 322. But my core seems to at least make a small diffrence in the 25MHz I can overclock it.

JigPu

i think of it like this.......

if the ram is clocked higher then the core then a higher core overclock will increase performance more.
if the core is clocked higher then the ram then a higher ram overclock will increase performance more.

when one part is clocked higher then the other the faster part is waiting for the slower part to continue.
if this is wrong please correct me :eh?:

Back