• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair 100i Pull Exhaust Config Fans and Radiator top mounted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

42YottabyteSim

Registered
Hi everyone, so after watching the Linus youtube video, I think I'm going to install my Corsair 100i Water Cooler to the Pull Exhaust Config Fans/Radiator Top Mounted.

The issues I have is with the screws. It's really difficult to get them aligned going through case, then fans, then radiator.

Does anyone recommend the case being in a certain position, or some sort of trick to help guide the threading through the fans and then into the radiator?

I'm working with the 6/32 x 1.25" screws and they are just barely long enough to reach and getting them into the radiator is a real pain.

There's really no "trick" to installing an AIO. My suggestion: don't use the washers. If the screws don't reach, you may be able to find longer ones at your local hardware store. What case will this be installed in?

Corsair Vengeance C70. I've been trying it without the washer, but instead with the little rubber donuts.

You really don't need washers/rubber donuts as the case itself will act as a washer. Did you try mounting the AIO with the case on it's side? It's a lot easier when it's on it's side and you have better control.

Try using tape to hold the fans in place while you use your fingers to thread the screws in place. Don't tighten them until you remove the tape, then tighten snug. Do not over tighten the screws by sending them to the moon tight. Just snug will be fine.

I usually go for first to get 1 screw in each of the fans, but on opposite diagonals (i.e. top right, bottom left). This makes it much easier to line up the inside holes for the fans next.

I buy longer screws at the hardware store, cut their heads off and fix them into the radiator fan mount tabs as studs with Locktite. Then I push one or two of the studs at each fan mount position slightly out of vertical alignment. I can still wiggle the fans down over the screws but now the fans are held in place by side pressure from the screws. But the protruding ends are now aligned perfectly by the fan frames. I can pick the whole assembly up and the fans don't fall off when I turn it over. Next, I flip the whole assembly over and lower it onto the top of the case, making sure the protruding ends of the studs find their correct holes in the case top mesh. But here's the best part. I secure the assembly with wing nuts to the top of the case. Much easier to work with than nuts. No tools required. Just twist them with your fingers. A much better arrangement than trying to fit a screw driver or a nut driver into a crowded case.

I buy longer screws at the hardware store, cut their heads off and fix them into the radiator fan mount tabs as studs with Locktite. Then I push one or two of the studs at each fan mount position slightly out of vertical alignment.

This sounds like a really great idea. I think I'll try this. Can you tell me what you meant by pushing the studs out of vertical alignment?

If we are picturing the radiator sitting longways on the table, which screws should be pushed in which direction? Because i'm working with 8 screws.

This sounds like a really great idea. I think I'll try this. Can you tell me what you meant by pushing the studs out of vertical alignment?

If we are picturing the radiator sitting longways on the table, which screws should be pushed in which direction? Because i'm working with 8 screws.

When the studs are threaded into the radiator fan mount tabs they would be perpendicular to the radiator face. Right? Can you picture that? If you push each one a little out of that vertical alignment it provides some side pressure on the fan screw holes that will hold the fan in place when the fans are slid down over the studs. It's actually the radiator's fan mount tabs that bend a little. Bend/push the studs out away from the center of the radiator to the side so that they are out of vertical alignment just a few degrees. Probably will work best if you bend all four screws at each fan spot. It's not rocket science but I realize it's hard to explain and then picture with words. Hope this helps.

I think it will be obvious once you get into it.

One other important detail is to thread the wingnuts onto the screws from the factory end and then screw it past the cutoff end to touch up threads that are damaged by the cutting off process. It's a poor man's tap and die job. I layered the inside of my bench vice jaws with duct tape to prevent damaging the threads of the screws. You have to have someway to hold those buggers as you hacksaw the heads off.

Oh, by the way. Be careful not to thread the studs in too far so as to puncture the radiator tubes. The locktite will keep the studs from turning when you go to put the wingnuts on the other end.

Last edited:
Back