• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Corsair HX1000 1000W Enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Correct. I specificied earlier that the CPU at 4ghz was ~200W. So with furmark load on the stock GPUs + CPU at 4Ghz = ~827W. Consider that gaming doesnt stress a CPU or GPU as much as furmark/cpu stability tests, you are looking at ~700W peak with ~675W averages.

In my 470 review, with P95 (CPU at 4Ghz) and Furmark running, I barely broke 400W peak...

Ah woops, I must've missed that part. Thanks for clearing that up :)

How much more different is the i7-950 and the i7-920 in efficiency?
Not much at all. But those numbers, as bobn pointed out do not include the CPU.

The bottom line is you are fine so long as you dont get into volt modding the card. It will handle the cards and the CPU overclocked just fine. If you are benchmarking and pushing the limits, you will be darn close to 1KW which that PSU should be able to handle anyway.

Correct. I specificied earlier that the CPU at 4ghz was ~200W. So with furmark load on the stock GPUs + CPU at 4Ghz = ~827W. Consider that gaming doesnt stress a CPU or GPU as much as furmark/cpu stability tests, you are looking at ~700W peak with ~675W averages.

In my 470 review, with P95 (CPU at 4Ghz) and Furmark running, I barely broke 400W peak...

Not much at all. But those numbers, as bobn pointed out do not include the CPU.

The bottom line is you are fine so long as you dont get into volt modding the card. It will handle the cards and the CPU overclocked just fine. If you are benchmarking and pushing the limits, you will be darn close to 1KW which that PSU should be able to handle anyway.

Ah okay, thanks for the input :)

you'll be fine with the 1000 watts corsair under rates all there psu's there 750 is a 850 the 1000 is a 1100 and so on.some ppl are using 850's with two 480's so youll be fine with the 1000w.

They are rated properly as in what the label says it can deliver 100%.
actually that's what i was saying,the tx750 for example has these ratings on the back of the unit 12+=720w ... 3.3v+/5v+=180w ...12v- = 9.6w ...5+vsb = 15w so you add them together
720w
180w
9.6w
15w
and you get 924.6 usable watts max and thats just the tx750 so the 1000 tx1000 will probly handle 1100 no problems was all i was saying

Corsair TX750W +3.3V /+5V +12V -12V -5V +5VSB
30A 28A 60A 0.8A N/A 3A
Max Combined Watts 180W 720W 9.6W N/A 15W

It doesnt work that way is the problem. ;)

yea unfortunately,but most the power supply's ive had add those numbers up as there max watts but you can only pull about 80% off them,but these puppys will run 100% no problems from what ive seen:)

Heya,

I'm planning on adding another GTX480 into my current gaming rig I just built a week ago for SLI. Was wondering if the current PSU I'm using in the rig will suffice?

Corsair HX1000 1000W PSU
Intel Core i7-950 (OC @ 4.02ghz)
Coolermaster Haf X Tower
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Corsair A70
3x 2gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 RAM
eVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX480
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM SATA2 in Raid0
Windows 7 Ultimate

I don't plan on doing any major overclocking on the GPUs so let's just say they'll be at stock speed if not a bit upped.

hey kiru here is a site i use that might help you calculate your psu
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Most PSUs cannot, in fact, max out every rail. It says right on the label what the max per rail is, and then it'll give you an overall max too (tip: it's the rating of the power supply, 1000w in this case).

Most PSUs cannot, in fact, max out every rail. It says right on the label what the max per rail is, and then it'll give you an overall max too (tip: it's the rating of the power supply, 1000w in this case).

actually these corsair psu's only have one rail:)

Last edited:
5v rail and 3.3v rail and -12v rail (and -5v rail) and +12v rail are all separate.

Back