• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cosmos 1000 2nd Rad Location

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dewoof01

Registered
Here is the link to my build log:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=626235

Ok so i have a 120.3 cutout at the top of my cosmos 1000 case. I am mounting the rad inside and the 3 38mm scythe ultra kazes on the exterior pulling air through the rad. Now as you can see from my build log, i have put in two intake fans on the front of the case that will pulling air in across the HD bays. Now i want to mount a 120.2 GTX vertically on the face of the HD bays and have fans pulling air through the rad from the front. My problem is that this should block the lower intake fan at the bottom of the case as it will sit 38mm on the bottom of the case. My question is.... I am planning on an AMD build but may go to i7. This is a high end computer and will be overclocking to over 4Ghz if at all possible. I will run a dual GPU but not crossfire or SLI. I want to cool the GPU & CPU with these rads, but want overkill for my watercooling setup not "this will be enough to cool that" I want alot more cooling than i will need. So what 120.2 rad that is THINNER would work for this setup i want that will cool a high end GPU, or how can i get the GTX to work here? Suggestions would be appreciated...

WaterCoolingProblem.jpg

Problem I see with a rad in the front there is unless you seal it well it will also recirculate case air. That can be overcome with sealing. And watch out for the newer GPU cards, the 5970 for example is huge, hugly long.

Conumdrum,

Thank you for your comment. Thats what i just realized with the size as well, there may be a prob with the larger GPU cards and that is no good. By sealing do you mean not having the rad just sitting in open air, but have more of a tunnel going to it from the front in order to get a more direct air flow? Would going with a thinner and less FPI rad for the 120.2 and less powerful thinner fans be a better idea? The other option is to keep this setup but move the bottom intake fan more toward the P/S.

Wow didn't realize the xfx 5970 is 12" long according to XFX's website. That doesn't leave much room for anything. I have been thinking about this all day and I am going nuts because as i see it i need the triple up top just for a cooling in case i go away from AMD and go i7. Then i need at least another rad to cool the GPU card... My only solution i can think of right now is to go with only a 120 rad, but that is almost worthless. I need 3 5.25 bays in the top too because i need 2 for 6 channel fan controllers, and 1 for my dvdrw.

Well stupid me just figured it out. Easy fix. The rad will fit great in there. Any suggestions on this set up?....

MountedFrontFans22-1.jpg

I cut away the bottom 3 drive cages on my Cosmos 1000, which gives you plenty of space for a 120.2 using the existing screw holes. Basically like your picture, but move the whole thing forward towards the front of the case.

With my setup, I would have clearance issues with the cables coming out of the PSU the way you have it.

EDIT: Picture is worth a 1000 words (or something)
1002212dy.jpg

ASD,

Thanks i understood exactly what you were saying but thanks for the picture. My issue withgoing to far foward is that i have 2 38mm scythes intaking on the lower front portion there so i wanted some room for the lower one to actually work not just have a rad and fan slammed up against it. I think if i move the rad toward the non-motherboard side of the case that should allow clearance from the cables. Thanks again,

Do you 'need' 38mm fans? What rad?

Ahh NM heck he's got two 25mm fans stacked, two are just shrouds. Plenty of room depending on your rad thickness, the one in the pic is pretty thin...........

Conumdrum,

Do i need? No. Would it be better? Yes. I am running GTX rads but all fans with be on fan controllers (i think i'm going to need 2 6-channel controllers!) It should fit, there is more room to cut than what he did also. The rad and fans run approx 90mm.

It matters with the rad you plan to mount there. What rad? If a low FPI meduim 25mm fans. If a high FPI the yes 38mm would help cooling and case airflow. It all depends on your variables, and no gauretees?

Okies, I admit I was lazy. Yea, you'll get great flow with your 38mm fans but to make it fit acckkk. Your okay, just leave room for the PSU cables. I dunno about cases anymore, I use a tech station for the last few years, so forgive me on cases. I try to stay out of it mostly.........

I would like to use a tech station as well, but i am having way too much fun figuring out how to jam all that crap in there and have it still look good. Its a challenge. Now i gotta figure out how to fit 2 pumps in here as well......

I did a very similar setup in my cosmos s.

I posted this at xs, so sorry if anyone's seen it already.

For this mod I used a sheetmetal nibbler and a dremel.

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

Here i used a lightbox technique to align the template so I could drill the holes. I really should have drilled them first.

IMG_0163.jpg

Making the holes for the rad screws.

IMG_0164.jpg

First installed pic

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Back