• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll take a phenom over an fx so fast it'll make your head spin.
8350=$189.00
board able to support it=$200.00
965=79.95
board to support it=$129
and clock for clock the phenom will beat bd and pd in my book.

$200!?!? Mine was $95.

Either way you can't really go wrong with either a 965BE or a FX 4300 (that costs a bit more).

peanutbudder,

some testing over the last few weeks shows advances were made form bd to pd and these improvements have been measured. I have measured that core for core, clock for clock p2x4 is over bd in most situations.
another thing to look at is that the amd gamers tend to the 6 cores and avoid the really big heat battles that come with the 8 cores and very few games it appears are multi threaded at this time.

I had a PII 965 gaming system until a few days ago and it rocked. Pair that up with a decent video card and you won't have any issues playing todays games this I know from experience. I ran it at 3.8 for over two years on an Asus M3N HT Deluxe and it's still not out of the game. I have enough parts kicking around that it will spend it's twilight years as a HTPC.
I upgraded cause I couldn't shake the itch. :rolleyes: Then they delayed the steamroller and I just couldn't wait. :shrug:
I'd also like to say that not all chips are created equal. The FX 8350 I have is not the cream of the crop. Once you got into the 1.45 Vcore range it went into meltdown mode. This one would need a serious custom water set up to come close to 5Ghz. :bang head

I ran the GTX 580 and I can't say for sure if it bottlenecked or not just never had any issues with games

So, what everyone is saying is phenom ll will not bottleneck a newer GPU, ie. 7870/7950?

A Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2 won't bottleneck a severely GPU-dependant title, much less anything newer / better.

That being said, there are a ton of games now that are either poorly coded or geared at the "huge x86 powerhouse of the future," and are therefore partially or fully reliant on the power of the CPU. Don't let people tell you that "the cpu doesn't matter"

The 6300 does better in games than any Deneb part does, particularly at higher OC.

The BD parts aren't good for much, and have some interesting issues with quite a few game titles. The PD parts, on the other hand, are truely an upwards movement and do quite noticiably better in quite a few titles than their Deneb brothers-- This is particularly hard to say with my attachment to the 9xx x4 BE parts :(

But a core 2 duo or Athlon X2 would bottleneck a newer gpu. So... would that not bottleneck the entire performance of the rig and game play? :sly:

Would it?

In some cases, yes, in some cases, no. An Ax2 would become a problem a bit easier, but they can still provide plenty of IOP fuel for even new GPUs in games that are properly coded to utilize mainly the GPU.

That being said, the number of games that don't put a small strain on the CPU (And therefore limit the performance of its corresponding GPU) is dwindling quickly. The point is, a Deneb part will provide the horsepower to fully utilize a newer GPU's ability to run a game that isn't CPU dependant, but it will stagger, burn, and die if the game also happens to be CPU dependant. MMO's, Planetside 2, and FSX will not run very well on Deneb. A PD-FX will do leagues better, particularly when OC'd. It goes deeper than simply an IPC / IOP count.. There's a lot of smaller things that AMD finally began addressing with PD.. 6300's are such an awesome little part :D

I think that "bottlenecking" is being misrepresented here, as it often is.
Given a CPU bottleneck, such as a core2 or an athlon64, a faster GPU will still get better performance than a slower GPU. Just not as much peak performance.
The bottleneck that renders a 7970 no faster than a 4870 is probably somewhere in the P3 or early P4 range.
This is apparent even in extremely GPU bound stuff like the Unigine Heaven benchmark. The top scores for all top end GPUs are all on SB/IB, because they bottleneck the GPU the least.
For CPU to not matter in benchmarks you need a GPU of ~4550 class or lower, it matters with anything higher.
Most top end GPUs can do 60FPS at 1080p even with a mid range chip driving them. Does this mean they are not bottlenecked? NO. It only means that the bottleneck isn't a problem.

The bottom line is that there isn't a magic CPU core / number / speed where suddenly a 7970/GTX680 is no longer bottlenecked, in my experience CPU always matters. Sometimes it matters more than others, but it always does.

In short, the concept of a bottleneck is the wrong way to look at it IMO. Ask instead what CPU in X price range will work best with Y games. If the CPU can't hack the game, it won't matter what GPU you have, and vice versa.

The bottom line is: Everything is bottlenecked by CPU. Whether you'll notice depends on the game.

As a compete sidenote, the OP hasn't posted since the 14th or logged on since the 19th.

I think that "bottlenecking" is being misrepresented here, as it often is.
Given a CPU bottleneck, such as a core2 or an athlon64, a faster GPU will still get better performance than a slower GPU. Just not as much peak performance.
The bottleneck that renders a 7970 no faster than a 4870 is probably somewhere in the P3 or early P4 range.
This is apparent even in extremely GPU bound stuff like the Unigine Heaven benchmark. The top scores for all top end GPUs are all on SB/IB, because they bottleneck the GPU the least.
For CPU to not matter in benchmarks you need a GPU of ~4550 class or lower, it matters with anything higher.
Most top end GPUs can do 60FPS at 1080p even with a mid range chip driving them. Does this mean they are not bottlenecked? NO. It only means that the bottleneck isn't a problem.

The bottom line is that there isn't a magic CPU core / number / speed where suddenly a 7970/GTX680 is no longer bottlenecked, in my experience CPU always matters. Sometimes it matters more than others, but it always does.

In short, the concept of a bottleneck is the wrong way to look at it IMO. Ask instead what CPU in X price range will work best with Y games. If the CPU can't hack the game, it won't matter what GPU you have, and vice versa.

The bottom line is: Everything is bottlenecked by CPU. Whether you'll notice depends on the game.

As a compete sidenote, the OP hasn't posted since the 14th or logged on since the 19th.

I thank you sir. I didn't wanna dive too deep into it, settling on what I outlined in my post haha. I do know that Deneb isn't sufficient in modern MMO's, Planetside 2, or FSX at the very least. I didn't want to say "The GPU gets limited by the CPU once you hit 194 FPS"

There's some more obscure titles that stagger slightly on a Deneb, such as S4 League that I played on my now 8350 rig, but I can tell you that on a 6300 (And an 8350), these titles do a lot better.. Particularly with MMO's (With one going from 1-6 FPS for the first 15 seconds before jumping to 30 in cities to holding at 40-60)

I didn't notice the inactivity of the OP :(

I thank you sir. I didn't wanna dive too deep into it, settling on what I outlined in my post haha. I do know that Deneb isn't sufficient in modern MMO's, Planetside 2, or FSX at the very least. I didn't want to say "The GPU gets limited by the CPU once you hit 194 FPS"

There's some more obscure titles that stagger slightly on a Deneb, such as S4 League that I played on my now 8350 rig, but I can tell you that on a 6300 (And an 8350), these titles do a lot better.. Particularly with MMO's (With one going from 1-6 FPS for the first 15 seconds before jumping to 30 in cities to holding at 40-60)

I didn't notice the inactivity of the OP :(

yep. The deneb was a good chip, and with BD being a bit of a letdown really there was no real reason to upgrade it... but it's starting to show it's age, and PD cored FX chips are clearly superior. Worth the upgrade at least.

As to the comment one post above. Technically you're completely correct. At a point the CPU does affect all GPUs... generally the higher the resolution the more the CPU plays a roll. But there is one point in the question of "bottleneck" we're not discussing.

The monitor(s) you're using.

If you're using a 60hz monitor, you're already capped at 60fps. At which point i'd say CPU really DOESN'T matter no matter what you're playing around with. Most high end GPUs will punch out 60fps no matter how slow your CPU is, on multiple monitors even, as long as we're talking about a max resolution of 1080p.

IF however, you're using a 120hz monitor, your max displayable fraimrate will be 120fps, at which point CPU will definitely start to rear it's head as a limiting factor for your GPU's performance. A 4/6 core Piledriver will probably be the minimum you'll want to be running with at this point in order to see the most out of your system. There will be some bottlenecking even with the PD, though it shouldn't be noticeably worse then a high end intel for most things... after you get away from a PD, and into older/slower/weaker chips like an i3 or BD the dropoff in performance should start to become noticeable.

Since 90% of people seem to have 60hz monitors i'd say 90% of the time it really doesn't matter what CPU you have, as it won't be the bottleneck in your system (unless you're playing a CPU intensive poorly coded game).

My 2 cents...I had a noticeable improvement going from a 965 to my 8350 in "some" games.

Planet Side 2, War Z <--- both a work in progress mind you.

My 2 cents...I had a noticeable improvement going from a 965 to my 8350 in "some" games.

Planet Side 2, War Z <--- both a work in progress mind you.

because some games are poorly coded and heavily CPU dependent this will be the case with a number of titles. I think this debate on cpu bottle-necking has gone of track a bit though.

Some games simply have a lot of physics / AI to calculate on the CPU too, CPU heavy games aren't necessarily poorly coded.

Back