• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU for single PC Streaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrFloyd

I'm looking into upgrading my current pc so that I can stream and game from the same PC better.

I currently run an 4790k and 980ti.

I'll be upgrading to a 2080, but still unsure on which CPU to go with.

I know that right now the 9900K is probably one of the better if not the best CPU's right now for streaming and gaming at the same time (please correct me if I'm wrong). Would it be stupid to upgrade to the 9900k now with the new AMD Ryzen 3000 series on the horizon? I've read some comments on articles that the Ryzen chips (specifically the 2700x) can cause some stuttering in game while streaming due to the architecture the Ryzen chips use (I'm just going by what I've seen in some comments and I don't fully understand it), is there any truth to this? I personally have no preference between Intel or AMD, just looking for the best performance for a single PC stream as I don't have the space for a dual pc setup with my racing simulator and everything in my office.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

How long can you wait? If you need something now, and can afford it, 9900k is the best gaming CPU. Assuming you're using GPU encoding I don't think the loading on CPU would be that bad if you went current Ryzen, but I don't have experience in this. The next gen will be different, although we don't know exactly how until we get our hands on it.

I'm not confident on the timings, but AMD have a Keynote at Computex which people think could be the next gen Ryzen reveal. Availability has been indicated by AMD to be "second half" of the year, so July for availability could fit that playing into the "7" marketing they've been running with for a while.

How do you find the performance of the current system for gaming + streaming at same time? I assume you use GPU encoding, but still there will be some CPU taken up by streaming...

How long can you wait? If you need something now, and can afford it, 9900k is the best gaming CPU. Assuming you're using GPU encoding I don't think the loading on CPU would be that bad if you went current Ryzen, but I don't have experience in this. The next gen will be different, although we don't know exactly how until we get our hands on it.

I'm not confident on the timings, but AMD have a Keynote at Computex which people think could be the next gen Ryzen reveal. Availability has been indicated by AMD to be "second half" of the year, so July for availability could fit that playing into the "7" marketing they've been running with for a while.

How do you find the performance of the current system for gaming + streaming at same time? I assume you use GPU encoding, but still there will be some CPU taken up by streaming...

I'm not in a big hurry.

My current system is okay for older games like CS:GO, but when I try to play Apex, PUBG, Battlefield, etc., it's just nowhere close to where I'd like it to be for streaming and gaming. Right now, I'm just streaming from my PS4 as the quality of the gameplay and stream is a lot better as it's less load on my PC, but I prefer to game on my PC. I was hoping that if I upgraded my CPU and GPU I could then do software encoding a get a better quality stream, but kinda sounding like that might not be possible on a single PC stream setup?

I'm very new to streaming, so I'm trying to research as much as possible, but I'll be honest I'm not nearly as tech savvy as I used to be and this is a whole new experience for me. I was just hoping if I built a beefy pc, that I'd be able to both game and stream from the same PC.

The i9 9900k should do well gaming with streaming. Gaming with streaming like cores and threads.

Back