• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Multiplier / Bus Frequency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tookenyip

Registered
Hi all,

I have a X6 1100T BE with ROG IV Formula. My question is can I just OC my CPU to 3.8Ghz using just multiplier without touching the Bus frequency (default 200)?

Also, should I leave the CPU voltage to Auto?

MOBO: Asus CH IV Formula BIOSv2002
CPU: Phenom II X6 1100T @ 3.8Ghz
RAM: 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 @ 1333Mhz KHZ1600C9D3/4GX
Power Supply: Corsair AX850W
GPU: Sapphire 7950 OC Edition
HDD: Intel X25-M

Can't seem to find option to edit signature in quick link.

Last edited:
Would you like me to create a sig. for you? And yes, you can just raise the multiplier to x19 = 3.8GHz w/ a 200MHz HT ref. clock. You'll probably need along the lines of 1.40V Vcore for that clock.

Would you like me to create a sig. for you? And yes, you can just raise the multiplier to x19 = 3.8GHz w/ a 200MHz HT ref. clock. You'll probably need along the lines of 1.40V Vcore for that clock.

Yes I would love to have the sig. Thanks!

And another thing, I should Blend test for 2 hours to check stability?

is it advisable to manually set the vcore to 1.4V or just leave it auto? pro and con to auto?

2wf7h5g.jpg
iggr55.jpg
v7qmnp.jpg

Last edited:
Vcore, ram voltage and CPU/NB are three things I always set manually. And on an ROG board would set Cpu LLC to 50% to begin with and see how high Vcore rises when under load.

tooky, overclocking that CPU will involve:

1. Increasing the CPU multiplier
2. Adding CPU voltage as necessary to support the higher speed of the CPU as you increase the multiplier. "As needed" means testing for stability by running a 20 minute Prime95 blend run after each .5x multiplier increase and them bumping up the CPU core voltage a small amount when you first fail the Prime95 stress test.
3. Running the HWMonitor in the background whenever you do a Prime95 stress test in order to monitor max core and max CPU temps as well as max CPU vcore (voltage to the CPU).
4. Not allowing core temps to exceed 60c or CPU socket temps to exceed 70c or max CPU vcore to exceed 1.55 under load.
5. When you seem to have reached the temp or voltage wall in step 4 and have settled on an overclock frequency that you are still passing in Prime95 20 minute runs then run a longer Prime95 test to confirm stability of the settings. At least 2 hrs. Have you tested the CPU at your current 3.8 with a good long Prime run? If you have the CPU voltage on Auto I'm sure you will find it isn't stable under a true stress test.

Note: Failing Prime95 means either: Blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one or more of the Prime95 core workers drops out during a run.

This is a quick and dirty beginner blueprint for overclocking a black edition AMD CPU.

However, I can tell you before you start that you won't get very far at all with that stock cooler because the heat will quickly overwhelm it and you will begin to exceed the max temps I referred to in Step #4. The first thing I would do would be to by a good aftermarket cooler, even before you start the overclocking process.

Last edited:
I just changed to a H60. I ran a total of 3 hours on blend test but im only doing 3.8ghz with multipliers alone and auto cpu voltage. temperature was around 57 degree on CPU and 52-53 on each of the core.

For CPU-NB, do I need to do anything about it since my CPU @ 3.8? By the way, I read somewhere in the forum i shouldn't push RAM to 1600Mhz on a thuban? is that true?

Last edited:
No, there should be no problem with running the ram at 1600 mhz on the Thuban. It's the Athon IIs and the Denebs where that is usually a problem. Having said that, I don't like that high voltage 1600 mhz ram like you have. To get your ram to run at 1600 mhz you have to put the voltage up to 1.65 and my experience is that a lot of systems just don't like that. It's better if you have ram that will do 1600 at 1.5v.

Your core temps are on the cusp of what we generally experience as the max for satiblity, which is 55c or so. Perhaps you have room to bump the CPU vcore up a tad if you want to try for a higher overclock. You are far from any kind of CPU vcore at this point that might damage your processor so don't worry about that. That doesn't come until you get up into the 1.6 vcore range.

Tooky can you post a SS of Cpuid HWmonitor under load, http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html with the CPU voltage set on auto like you said. I'd like to see how high the board is raising it for that OC. You may be better off manually setting it a bit lower to bring those temps down.

Yes sure I'll do an SS once I get home. I'm pretty sure I'm at around 1.37v on auto. Also want to get some advice on whether I should let my mobo manage the H60 fan speed or just let it run at max rpm.

Edit: As promised (guess there's difference in temp afternoon and night)
2mwxovq.jpg

Last edited:
I would also like to check with my current setup, do I need to mess around with HT and NB?

tooky, please try the Sig again. You should have access to it now. Go to top of page. Click on Quick Links and the Edtit Signature.

Your max core temps are high at 57c and you have no room to overclock until you get better cooling and/or better case ventilation. Where do you live and is the ambient temp there quite high?

yes im staying in malaysia and its a hot country and i have no air conditioner in my room. I just bought another fan for a push/pull on my H60. I'll do a 20mins blend and see what do i get.

Okay here's the updated temperature (100% load) on 20mins blend test if that means anything.

1jpv1j.jpg

Those temps are fine but not much room for more CPU voltage. About 5c more headroom, perhaps.

I can't do much about the temp already. Anyway, with a 3.8GHz; is there any bottleneck on the HT, NB freq and RAM etc? Maybe I can just tune them around my CPU speed currently?

When you post CPU-z pictures you should include the Memory and SPD tabs so we can look at memory frequencies, timings and recommended voltages.

Back