• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED CPUCool program using athlon forced cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M

Me

This function does help alot when it comes to cooling my cpu, but does this in anyway damage my powersupply or computer? I dont understand how this fuction works , maybe you could enlighten me please.
thanks

I believe any form of software cooling is bad if you have peltier cooling, due to extreme swings in CPU temperature. The mechanical stresses on the die can not be good for it.

Hoot

those things work by sending hlt messages to the cpu, disabling it when not needed so the temp drops. but actually this works only when you are in windows since gaming uses 100% of the CPU and the program doesn't send any hlt commands...

If 3D Mark 2001 is an indicator of CPU load while gaming, there are some gaps in the load, besides when it is loading the next program. I have a fast responding thermocouple on my HSF and the temp bounces around +/- 2-3C. That is with halt-on-idle enabled. As long as you are not running a peltier, I recommend enabling it.

Hoot

For a pelt system run a console of F@H or Seti in the backround to ensure you are keeping the cpu utilization up and not swinging your temps. F@H is great for this as it really really stresses the CPU.

Back