• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creative 3D Blaster4 Ti 4200 is great! (same card as MSI 8870)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FTC

Just got a new Creative 3D Blaster4 Ti 4200 to replace my GF2MX.
Here in Barcelona this was today the 'cheapest' available 4200.
Follows is a little report. Let's start by saying I am absolutely impressed by this card.

Now, next comment is that this card is, in fact, the MSI 8870 GF4 Ti 4200 (same card). It is the red PCB one, with a nice GF4 HSF on top and Hynix memory, 3.6 ns.

As an initial test I've tried to overclock it to the max, testing for artifacts and stability with 3DMark 2001 and Artifact tester *without* modding it in any way. Well, I have to say that the memory overclocks perfectly from 513 (default) up to 614 Mhz. After this, it slowly will get me some artifacts.
The core overclocks without a glitch from 250 up to 315 Mhz. This is the slider limit in Detonator's control panel, so will have to play with the registry to increase it (next 'homework').

So, all in all, seems to be a great overclocker. Pushed my 3dmk 2001 score from 8200 to 9000 alredy. Will keep on playing. My next step is to find the core default OC limit, and then :

- Attempt to Put ASII instead of the thermal goop that is between core and HSF, and
- Epoxy a set of Heatsinks to the memory chips

.... to increase even further the overclockability.

- Next week I'll also try to tune the card memory settings....

Will post my findings....

Regards
FTC

Well, and just for if someone is interested,

I installed a thermaltake G4 cooper cooler and some ramsinks... guess what : almost no further gains. My max overclocked speeds are now 614 (mem) and 320 (core) (Ran for 2 hours 3dmark2001 and artifact testers, plus several 3d games), but core and mem are still very hot, so I think I'll leave the card running at 600/300 or so.... which is already a spectacular performance.... and less risk to burn the card.

Regards
FTC

Back