• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial RAM Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmike

Registered
OK, I purchased 3 sticks of Crucial DDR RAM from a guy on eBay. This is the first DDR RAM (or any other type of ram) that I've purchased, so I don't know a whole lot about RAM.

I have an ASUS A&V266-E motherboard. The memory selector at Crucial's website recommends a different type of RAM than that which I purchased. The differences in the detailed descriptions are as follows:

What I have:

• Module Size: 256MB
• Package: 184-pin DIMM
• Feature: DDR PC2100
• Configuration: 32Meg x 72
• DIMM Type: Registered
• Error Checking: ECC
• Speed:
• Voltage: 2.5V
• SDRAM Timings:CL=2.5

What Crucial Recommends:

• Module Size: 256MB
• Package: 184-pin DIMM
• Feature: DDR PC2100
• Configuration: 32Meg x 64
• DIMM Type: Unbuffered
• Error Checking: Non-parity
• Speed:
• Voltage: 2.5V
• SDRAM Timings:CL=2.5

The only differences seem to be in the Configuration, DIMM Type and Error Checking.

The RAM seems to run just fine in my machine except that one stick seems to be "dead" (another topic).

The big question is, should I keep this stuff, or sell it and get the stuff that Crucial recommends for my board.

I'm a bit baffled by it all.

Any help provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

madmike

You can keep it if it's working ok.

The x72 is because ecc memory has extra data bits.

Motherboard Specifications:
A7V266-E
• Chipset: VIA Apollo KT266A
• Accepts PC133 SDRAM: N.A
• Accepts SDRAM 100MHZ: N.A
• Accepts SDRAM 66MHZ: N.A
• Accepts Registered SDRAM: N
• Accepts EDO: N.A
• Accepts Fast Page Mode: N.A
• Max EDO/FPM: N.A
• Accepts DDR: Y
• Accepts ECC: N
• Accepts RDRAM (Rambus): N.A
• Accepts Parity: N.A
• DIMM Socket Count: 3
• Sockets per DIMM Bank: 1
• 72-pin SIMM Socket Count: N.A
• Sockets per 72-pin SIMM Bank: N.A
• 30-pin SIMM Socket Count: N.A
• Sockets per 30-pin SIMM Bank: N.A
• Buffering: N.A
• Max Unbuffered SDRAM: 3072MB
• Max Registered SDRAM: N.A

Howdy Placid,

Thanks for the info.

One thing concerns me though. In the info you posted it says:

• Accepts ECC: N

But the memory I have is using ECC...

Will this have a detrimental effect, or is it just a feature that my board doesn't support?

Thanks!

madmike

If the ram is working fine in your board then it's ok you just won't be able to use the ecc ability of the memory.

Some motherboards have the option to enable or disable ecc.

Hey madmike Placid is correct. There is no need to get different memory since the stuff you have is working. The reason that Crucial doesn't recommend it for your board is because it isn't needed. The type of memory you have is usually used in servers that handle databases and other critical apps were memory errors are fatal. This extra protection is not really needed on desktops, but since you have it there is no need to change.

Thanks for all the help guys!

And hearing that this memory is made for servers makes perfect sense! The guy I bought it from runs an ISP and said this memory was left over from server upgrades!

Wow, you guys are all over it!

Thanks again,

madmike

Back