• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D-ice / LN2 "semi-solid" design suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

my welding SUCKS but its water tight so i guess thats all the counts :rolleyes:

the base plate is 9.2mm thick and the sides are about 1/4"

assuming the mounting holes are the same on my 6600GT and the contest card, i can drill and tap mounting screws right into the base (if i go through, ill go into the sides of the box NOT straight through ;)

ahhh. your welding is fine (pay no attention to those that grind and polish there mess away :p ;) )

Are you going to do a tube with the TIG?

I think its cool that the card comp. has made its way to the EC section WOOT! :attn:

Nice one JC, it doesn't have to be high-tech just get the job done. I think you SS would have gotten the card almost as good as this will, are you gonna try something colder than DI?

nope, ive got tooooo much $ tied up in PC hardware and "normal extreme" cooling, a dewar and LN2 is pushing it a little too far IMO.

im having a hard enough time tracking down some D-ice just to test this thing, i dont really want more temporary cooling solutions.

in all honesty, i was just going to make that square base to see if some of my theory's and welding would "hold water" and then i went crazy and made the rest.

other than this video card contest, i dont plan on benching with D-ice (well, MAYBE on the CPU) i just got caught-up in all the hype :D :beer:

I feal the same Camel, phase SS > dice in 24/7 ness, cascade > ln2 with more stable temperatures.

as long as nobody links to a great deal on a dewar on E-Bay and life-time supply of LN2, ill stick to my guns on this one :p

i got a taste of "temporary" cooling when i ran the TEC with ICE water, its nice and all, but turning on a SS and benching "all night" is just SOOOO much easier. having limited supply of cooling turns things into too much of a race, i like to play around with settings without worrying about how much ICE or whatever i have left.

(IMO: if i want even 1/2 a chance to win this contest, it looked like i NEEDED to go D-ice and thus we have what we have)

you need to create the biggest area to cool better.

that is why not solid containers have an advantage because you have more freedon to design.

here is a pic of my tube:
DryIce_N2L_DrCooling_b7.JPG

you can see more pics here
http://www.drcooling.cl/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=5

JC... Nice ghetto tube man. Although watertight at ambient temps, the Alu and welding media may contract/expand at different rates so check is standalone first..

o, i most DEFIANTLY will be doing a test with just the tube acetone and D-ice!!! (and a Fluke temp probe)

still a little "foggy" one one aspect, i "know" that there will be about 1-2" of acetone in the tube...(right?) about how much D-ice?

am i shooting to have it just floating on top (assuming it floats) or do i try to fill the full 2" with a ice/acetone in a "slushy" mix?

the ice itself is colder than the acetone will be right?

assuming there is a layer of ice floating on top, is it safe to say that the upper layer (with the ice) is colder than the lower layer (with just the acetone)?

can you smell the theory brewing in my head? :eek: (i know i can ;))

Joe Camel said:
o, i most DEFIANTLY will be doing a test with just the tube acetone and D-ice!!! (and a Fluke temp probe)

still a little "foggy" one one aspect, i "know" that there will be about 1-2" of acetone in the tube...(right?) about how much D-ice?

am i shooting to have it just floating on top (assuming it floats) or do i try to fill the full 2" with a ice/acetone in a "slushy" mix?

the ice itself is colder than the acetone will be right?

assuming there is a layer of ice floating on top, is it safe to say that the upper layer (with the ice) is colder than the lower layer (with just the acetone)?

can you smell the theory brewing in my head? :eek: (i know i can ;))

I have a feeling that the dry ice will sink... just a feeling, though...

I would say fill up about 1/5th to maybe 1/4th of the tube with acetone... maybe 2-3"... the dry ice will displace enough liquid to fill up a good portion of the tube, but don't go too high. :) You don't want anything splattering on your leet mobos!

Epox4life said:
The dry ice doesnt float, as you put more dry ice in just make sure its packed in well.
what do you pack it in with... any metal rod? what about a piece of wood... i know it'll freeze but who cares, right? just curious...

i was thikning of using my fingers... jk jk :D

I use a screwdriver usually. If you're quick and not faint of heart, you can always use your bare hands to toss the dry ice in, but I definitely wouldn't suggest this.

Nice tube JC just make sure you test it pretty good first. I built a couple of aluminum tubes last summer that cracked around the welds after about a half hour of testing.

Epox4life said:
You can hold dry ice just dont squeeze it or hold it for to long.
Can you make a popsicle out of it and throw on some fruit punch for flavoring?

Dont eat the dry ice your dont know how and where it was made.
Its not intended for eating so theres no health regulations for it.

I like buying 2" dice pellets (around 10 pounds) for a dice session and 5 or so pounds of dice dust. Drop in the pellets and pour in the dust. :p

Back