• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DEC AlphaStation...it's usefull again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

compaq_ML530

Registered
Man, I never thought I'd find something usefull for my circa '95 DEC Alpha Workstation. Planning to throw on a copy of openVMS and start crunching. This seti stuff really got me enthusiastic about working with the Alpha again. The last time I visited that thing, I was ready to pitch it out a window...LoL

Anyone ever compare which is faster running Seti@home on an Alpha: WinNT 4.0(Alpha) or openVMS?

I guess there isn't a whole lot of DEC junkies that post to these boards. Anyways, once I get this thing back into working condition, It'll put out 2-3 WU's a day. Every little bit helps.

The DEC Alpha@400mhz went online last night. I'll post a picture of this thing when I get home.

Alpha station

I'm sorry to say I don't know what an DEC alpha is but I'm very excited to know. What is it used for, seems like some kind of server/graphics workstation. I've worked with SGI workstations, 2 weeks ago, these really rock! Hope to see your pics soon, and if it even does 2-3 WU's a day, boy, it can even match my AMD800! Hey, and the 18WU's DO count! Crunch on, and good luck with getting the system up!

Greetings,

Digital Equipment Corporation (bought by Compaq '99)
Manufacturers of Alpha processors, Alphastations, AlphaServers, VAX, etc...

Below is my $25,000 CAD box, bought in Aug of '96. The video card accounts for $10g's --> http://www.shopasa.com/cgi-bin/tech/589272.html
I think I saw an Alphastation like mine go at ebay recently for under $700 :(

This was one of the fastest CAD boxes that could be had for awhile, it outlived it's usefulness after the release of the Intel Pentium II's. The video card is an Intergraph Powerstorm 4D60T and get's beat by performance by a sub $300 video card these days.

Alphastation w/21164 Alpha processor@400mhz
128MB Ram (4 DIMMS)
2GB 10,000 RPM Seagate Barracuda SCSI-2 UW Hard drive
No IDE, SCSI-2 UW bus.
Dual boot between Windows NT 4.0 (Alpha version) and openVMS
Can run a ported version of Linux, UNIX, freeBSD, and a couple of other OS's.

The DEC Alpha@400mhz went online last night. I'll post a picture of this thing when I get home.

Looks like a SETI champ... I would think you should be in the 4-5 WU a day range once you get tuned up (is it a 21264A?)... I get 3-4 out of my P3 which is twice as fast but takes twice as many CpF's to process a WU...

Anyway your DEC looks cool

Happy Crunching!!!

Kris

No the processor is a 21164, as it is a 2MB L2 Cache. The 8MB L2 cache like the one listed in SetiSpy was introduced with the 500Mhz Alpha processor. If I would of waited a couple of more months 5 years ago, I could be increasing my WU by 2 a day. It's funny how looking back at things like this just proves how stupid computer equipment purchases tend to pan out. I wish there was a Seti for the C64, I'd drag that out of the closet...lol

and I got a IBM system 36 too... hehe... (probably was more than $200K in its time)...

but they do have an AS/400 client...

Kris

reel to reel magnetic tape storage? Or newer, I'm not familiar with IBM equipment.

mid-80s stuff... about a 486 equivalent.... 75 lb 200megs harddrive and all.... LOL

The printer for this baby weighs in at a whopping 540lbs... such fun... BIG computers :)

best,

Kris

DEC AlphaStation...it's usefull again

My first Alpha was an AlphaServer 1000. Had a 266MHz processor, which was actually fast in 1994. :) I had a suite of AlphaAXP Multias running RH Linux at one time, but I got nervous about them when Compaq dropped NT4 support, and even more nervous when they dropped the entire architecture.

Compaq had a chance to compete with the real big boys, but they doomed themselves just to be a big peecee company, a bloated version of Dell. Oh well.

I think I can get an AlphaServer 1000 on Ebay now for less than it costs to ship it, maybe it's time to get one just for the hell of it. :)

Morpheus said:
and I got a IBM system 36 too... hehe... (probably was more than $200K in its time)...

but they do have an AS/400 client...

Kris

Damn, we have a S/36 that is still running at work since the early 80s. Plus a couple of mid 80's HP3000s which also complete the mini-computer/washing machine lineup.

Then there's the OS/390 "black fridges" one of which even has Linux running on a logical partition but even saying the word Seti near one of those machines would get me fired.

I used both Alpha NT and tru64 on a 533 dec. Both seemed to do about the same, perhaps a few minutes difference at most. They're good crunchers if you have them laying around. My 533 was about as good as an 800MHz P3.

zouo said:

Damn, we have a S/36 that is still running at work since the early 80s. Plus a couple of mid 80's HP3000s which also complete the mini-computer/washing machine lineup.

Then there's the OS/390 "black fridges" one of which even has Linux running on a logical partition but even saying the word Seti near one of those machines would get me fired.

I am inclined to throw away my System36... that is, take it, to the dump... but the dump charges by the pound... :(

Morpheus said:
WTF... why am I a "guest" above? I was a Senior for more than a year then...?

I was wondering that myself. Were you on the same machine then as now???

new system, but same logon info since... well, forever... I wonder if the above happened in the board comversion process?

Morpheus said:
new system, but same logon info since... well, forever... I wonder if the above happened in the board comversion process?
Kris it now shows you as a senior member.....

Back