• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dedicated physx card question(s)..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redbeard30

Registered
So after upgrading my system, I have a gtx560ti that's basically collecting dust..I was curious if running it as a dedicated physx card w/ my gtx 970 would be beneficial. A lot of the games I play: IE batman, borderlands, witcher 3, have some nice physx effects, so I thought i t might help boost performance offloading the physx too a separate card. Has anyone had any experience with this? The physx card would be operating in a x4 slot, which I have read doesn't matter. Specs are in SIG..

I dont think its worth it personally, though it will help in some capacity FPS wise. The 970 can handle the game and PhysX just fine. You would just be using either 170/210 more Watts (depending on if its the 448 core version) for something your current card can likely already handle. If you are not happy with the FPS in those games, it could help.

That's what I was thinking, I may pop it in and try it just too see if gains are worth it. If not, I guess I could build a htpc or something around the 560..

Did the try-out with a 660 Ti, wasn't worth it for gaming and caused havoc with the drivers at the time, but there was something that helped out in the nVidia control panel - switching it to CPU instead of auto or GPU. Smoothed frames rates and made the GPU work a little less (was playing Crysis 2 on ultra with HD textures and Metro: Last Light Redux).

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
I found the same thing w/my GTX 780, putting PhysX to CPU in Metro: Redux improved my minimum FPS and reduced stuttering.
I have seen a review of PhysX in which I guy benched his two Titans (I think) in both SLI w/PhysX and using one as a dedicated PhysX card. For Metro at least, the game benched better when using one of his Titans as a dedicated PhysX card instead of in SLI w/PhysX enabled.

Back