• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desperately need help with Fx-6350 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikitasd13

Registered
Hello there!!!
You guys are my last chance before throwing my fellow computer out of the window!!! I’m trying to overclock but I really can’t stay stable nowhere outside of stock settings!!! Can’t even pass 4ghz stable! Everytime im getting bsod! So I reverted back on stock and I’m waiting for some guidance!

Ps: I know that my mobo isn’t meant for this job but I hope I’m able to get past 4.2 at least!
Ps 2: Can’t really say what I’ve tried! I’m trying stuff since I woke up this morning and it’s almost midnight!

Thank you in advance!!!

IMG_1067.JPG

There's really not a lot of info (read in depth reviews) for that motherboard, but from what I can see it looks to most likely have a 4+1 power phase. As you alluded to this is likely the root cause for your instability. Here is a link to another user that was using the same board with an FX6xxx series CPU as well.

We will also need a bunch more info. Are you using an after market cooler? What are your load temps? How many volts are you pushing through vcore?

EDIT: Here is a great guide for overclocking AMD CPU's. I know it's for the Phenom II gen but the FX overclocks nearly identical.

Thanks for the reply! Great guide indeed! I’ll try again tomorrow step by step! I’ve missed too many steps I think! I’ll post again tomorrow the results! I hope I’ll be @4.2 stable!!! Thank you very much!

One of the potential causes of your BSOD may be a low core voltage value. I'd recommend downloading CPU-z and posting a screenshot so we can get a better look at how your system ticks. Please take screenshots of both the CPU and memory tabs.

You can download CPU z here

You could also take some pictures of your overclock settings in the BIOS, as that may be helpful in finding a good resolution to your issue.

There are two revisions of that board and they both look pretty much the same. It doesn't look that much like an overclocking board... You could probably use a fan over the VRM section.

ASROCK 980DE3-U3S3 R2.0.PNG

I’ll get some screenshots running stock when I’m back from work. Cpu temp was @55c while I was testing 4.4ghz under full load

It’s a Corsair h80i !

The Corsair H80i is a capable cooler, but not stellar. Either way, you will hit a socket temperature wall before you hit a CPU temperature wall so it will be adequate. Most of the members here will prefer screen shots from CPU-Z(free) and HWMonitor(also free) to assist you with your overclock. There certainly other free monitoring software out there that will do the same (and more) but this is what many of us are accustomed to. Here's an image I "borrowed" from another member on what we generally will need to see to assist you.

screen shot OCF.jpg

I’ll get some screenshots running stock when I’m back from work. Cpu temp was @55c while I was testing 4.4ghz under full load

55c is about the thermal limit for that generation of AMD CPU. What software are you using to stress test?

Yep you want to stay under 55c for the CPU temp and 61c for the socket temp.

From your HWMonitor it looks like Core Temp #1 under CPU is your CPU temperature and either for the motherboard/socket Temp 1 or 2 is the socket temp. If it's temp 2 you're already above the recommended limit. You can verify this by applying a load and seeing which rises the fastest.

I don't mean to sound discouraging but even at stock you will likely see these sensors rise above the recommended temperatures. But you wont know until you try.

OK so when you get a chance do a stress test for 20 minutes and monitor temp 1 keeping it under 61c and core temp keeping it under 55. Post a screen shot after the test so we can see you max temps (both) and max vcore.

EDIT: I would also recommend adding a fan(s) directly over the VRM section as there are no heatsinks (add some as Whitehawk mentioned if you have them). This will help keep your temp 1 down a few degrees.

20130623_133904.jpg

Don't have those fans! I'll try to get some from a local store asap. Meanwhile im testing @ stock. Tried to go @ 4ghz only by raising fsb by 10 (210*19.5) but occt lasted a few seconds before bsod…!

For now that's a taste till test is over

Capture7.PNG Capture8.PNG

Yeah. Pretty much what was expected. Your socket temps are already over the stability threshold and you CPU is only 2c off from max recommended.

Not sure if you are aware but by bumping your FSB you are also OCing your ram which could be another reason for instability. I always start out bumping the multi to find the max CPU OC then will work on ram and find a good combination of CPU/RAM OC.

Personally I would stop. This board will not handle a 24/7 OC without damaging its self or throttling the CPU. If you're OCing for fun then I would recommend looking into a better motherboard and cooler. If you're doing it to extend the use of the 6350 than I'm sorry to say it's probably time for an upgrade.

Im out of cash atm so I think ill continue running stock and ill upgrade with the first chance! Thank you all for helping !!! :) :) :)

Back