• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desperately seeking advice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've read the great reviews about the Thermochill products actually. I just pray that I can find a way to mount it in an tidy fashion. For this reason alone, I originally had my sights set on a Swiftech rad (they have a nice mounting kit for the back of the case, hehe). So the only question that remains, at least on the radiator front, is this:

Is the performance difference between Thermochill and Swiftech so severe as to overcome the comprehensive mounting package that Swiftech offers?

i would say get the swiftech rad with some panaflows

I reseached the EK gpu blocks also, and the only problem I found with them was availability. Is it true there are no U.S. vendors for them? =/ That makes me nervous, if so.

performance pcs ships us and has EK blocks, here is a fancy neat looking nickel plated one http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240&products_id=22546

In response to a few of the helpful responses here:

(a) No, money in not a problem here. I'm not rich, by any definition of the word, but I've saved up nearly 2 grand to build this computer and plan to use all high quality components (well...at least as high as I can with the money I have, lol)

(b) I would like to avoid 2 rads for 2 reasons. First, and I can hear you guys laughing already =p, is the additional complications of mounting. I'm scared of one rad :) . The second is the additional tubing/routing required. I would like to keep the inside of the case neat and orderly (it's a pet peeve of mine).

(c) I believe I would like 3/8 ID hose, as the barbs on the Asus Maximus are 3/8, and I do not wish to use reducers and/or adapters.

Ok...now on to a few final questions...lol...

(1) Can anyone recommend a high quality bay mounted reservoir? I have seen a unit by Thermaltake, but am not aware if this brand is a no-no for reservoirs. I would really prefer to not mount an additional item into the case.

(2) If I were not comfortable and/or happy with the EK GPU block, which non-full cover block would y'all suggest?

(3) I am having a hard time finding the darn EK GPU block for sale...any pointers?
here are more EK blocks

(4) Assuming I am willing to pay, is there any premixed coolant I can just buy and use? If so, I'd prefer the best available. :)

just get distilled water at a grocery store and grab a bottle of this

(5) Seeing as I've been steadily (and vehemently!) herded away from Koolance products, this leaves me in a different predicament. I now need a case that (a) can fit all of this new equipment and (b) is of a HIGH build quality. I've stated my preference for Lian Li cases, but with their compartmentalized design, finding space to neatly mount all these units may prove cumbersome. Any suggestions?

i would still get a lain li case, as long as it has a 120mm rear exhaust, you can mount that swiftech rad box.

First off, stay away from Koolance, period! Here is what I'd go with:

D-Tek Fuzion CPU WB
EK-FCR600 Full Cover GPU WB
MCP655 Pump
ThermoChill PA120.3 Radiator (or Swiftech MCP320 if price is an issue)
Swiftech MCRES or a T-line
Tygon 7/16 ID tubing (since you wanted the smaller tubing and 7/16 fits snug on 1/2 barbs)
Worm driven hose clamps

As for the coolant: I'd use 5-10% antifreeze with distilled water and a few drops of iodine.

Agreed, except add a drop of fish aquarium algaecide (walmart) to the water. And use alcohol free povidone iodine so as not to cause problems with any acrylics. The Apogee GT would be another option for the CPU block.

Full cover blocks aren't necessary and are good for only one card. The MCW60 with some ramsinks will perform just as well but can be used on more than just one card.

On the pumps, the 655 is a good pump. For me, I prefer the MCP350/DDC3.1 with a Petrastechshop top. It is a dead silent pump, and the top increases the flow of the pump to be on par with the 655 yet be much smaller also.

There is no such thing as a good bay reservoir. Bay reservoirs do not perform very well and are rather awkward to fill. The Swiftech Microres works very well, mounts about anywhere, and can be mounted so that its easy to fill. Buy it.

For the rad, the MCR320 is the best rad for the price/performance ratio. It is best to get a triple rad if possible so that you future proof yourself and have plenty of cooling. The Thermochill PA120.3 is the best rad on the market, but the performance difference between it and the MCR320 is hard to justify for the price difference. If cost isn't an issue, get the Thermochill, but the MCR320 will work well. Both rads can use lower speed fans such as yate loons, but the Thermochill really shines at very low cfms, which is why I am using one since I run my yate loons at only 4 volts.

Mounting the rad is something that you really need to just look around at system pics to figure out. Triple rads are usually top mounted either in or outside of the case, or bottom mounted such as in the lower compartment in Lian Li cases. You can use a Swiftech radbox, but it makes the rad hard to plumb and it looks lousy having a rad hanging off of the back. Most of the time a top mount is going to be preferred with a triple rad.

As for tubing size, there is little performance difference between 3/8" and 1/2" (reference sticky). Many use 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs as once it is on, it stays on and offers the ideal size as far as transitioning from 1/2" barbs (usually with a 7/16" actual ID as barbs are measured by OD). You do need to heat the ends in very hot water though to keep from having to wrestle it onto the barbs. I don't care about the larger tubing size and use 1/2"ID tubing with 1/2" barbs as it is just easier to work with.

When it comes to watercooling, it can be a lot of fun and very rewarding, not to mention very quiet and yet cool extremely well. Get quality parts like those mentioned above, use some common sense, and you will do fine.

Back