• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Diablo 3 is official :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WoW was based off Warcraft not the Diablo series..

In fact, Blizzard North were the ones who created D1 and D2. They left and created Hellgate.. Its a shame really, as they would have made a kickass D3 IMO...

Or we would've ended up with a D3 resembling Hellgate: London... can't say I would've been too fond of that... :p

WoW was based off Warcraft not the Diablo series..

Seems like it would be rather obvious that WOW is based off Warcraft. Not to be overly smarmy, World of.. Warcraft.

There hasn't been many games at all to make the grade of, based off DiabloII. It is a testament, that a game that has been played for as long as it has actively. What 10 long years. Hasn't had a sequel until now.

I can see how folks do not want it messed with. For some players, the game predates their gaming lifespan. For me it is hard to not have that look I am so darn used to seeing for DiabloII. Myself, right now I sort of agree it looks nothing like it should. I am however. Keeping an open mind to a new game baring the venerable Diablo namesake.

Edit:

This is Warcraft. Had to pull out the disc. :beer: It is nothing like what we have now. lol

wcraft.jpg

Last edited:
I played D2 today and watched the video. I think they look almost identical in all ways except D3 has better graphics. I'm happy and I'll buy it.

WoW did not once enter my mind while watching the video.

Different lighting does not = WoW...

I do agree that it is too bright in its current state, though.

Last edited:
WoW did not once enter my mind while watching the video.

Different lighting does not = WoW...

I do agree that it is too bright in its current state, though.

+1. I never once thought "hey, this looks like WoW." Then again, this is much more brutal and gory than WoW is. Well deserving of the M rating :)

But now that so many people are complaining about it, it does appear that the art style is similar to WoW. It could very well be the same team working on it. I really only have 2 concerns for the final product, WoW-ish or not:
1, that it feels more dark and evil than what it looks like right now. And
2, that it has higher quality graphics than WoW. I don't care if the style is the same, but it damn well needs to look better IMO. It looked good when it came out, but c'mon, how old is WoW now?

I agree, I hope it ends up with a more "sinister" look, the diablo series was pretty graphic for its time. I'd get it regardless, as D2 was one of my favorite games back in the day...but I would prefer they get it ample justice, particularly since its been years in coming.

using terms like 'sinister' 'dark' and 'mature...'

I thought the first Diablo was WAY higher in those scales than Diablo II. I still loved D2.

I really can't see myself getting hung up on a game's "look" though.

It might even be cool if they released a "Diablo 3: Old skool" edition with throwback graphics... I'd probably spend extra money at purchase time to get that in my pack =).

A game cannot stand or fall based on its graphics alone, imho.

very true, and in that regard I think games today pale in comparison to those of the past. But graphics (and perhaps audio to a larger extent) do help to set the mood...
As I said, I'll still play it regardless, but I hope they stick closer to the look/feel of D1/D2. I'll reserve further judgment until they get closer to completion.

I do not care for WoW ;) so I'd hate to see a game that looks like a Diablo mod for WoW.

Last edited:
One possibility is that they will dynamically change weather / lightning as you go deeper into the act / level.

On the game play demo, you see they start off in that somewhat sunny jungle area, then it starts raining and getting darker when they are fighting that boss at the end. Then everything catches on fire, the thunderstorm is rocking, and all the corpses come up.

Looks good to me.

It's that the rainbow in the first screenshots got some people upset. :screwy:

While I agree that it does look a bit more WoWish and not like the older Diablo's, I know Billzard will come out with something great, so I don't mind whatever they come up with.

I hope they fix player 'clogging' in the maps. Act 2 sand tunnels anyone? "MOVE OMG HEPOWTEOWIPGS:LGHSDL:S"

The first dungeon you see in the game play video looks cramped for 8 players.

I guess we should know how much those Blizzard (WoW) loyalists hate anything bright..like the sun....and love everything dark.....like the basements they play from. :p

I play in a fully-lighted bedroom-turned-computer-room thank you very much. Hmph.

I just wish I had a basement to base my computer usage from, lol.

I play in a fully-lighted bedroom-turned-computer-room thank you very much. Hmph. I just wish I had a basement to base my computer usage from, lol.

I've been told the only way I'll get myself a basement is if I dig it myself with a plastic spork.

Back