• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dial-up ---> DSL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leviathan41

W00t! I just upgraded my internet connection from dial-up to DSL, now I can get more folding done because I don't have to always be around to dial-up when I need a new WU. I'll also hopefully be adding a new rig before the summer, so that will make 3 folding rigs. Every little bit helps :)

Fold on!

Awesome!! Congrats! Isn't it sooo much better? I could never go back to dial up, I love my cable way too much. Good luck on the new rig!

Matt

The difference is like night and day. Downloads at 3KB/s are suddenly 150KB/s . . .I LOVE IT!!! I could never go back either. . .and I've only had it for 4 days.

I love my cable. Downloading isn't something I do overnight any more. I can download a 700MB cd in half an hour= awesome. Comcast doubled the maximum allowed.

Also, if you are using wireless, getting good hardware matters. I had netgear wireless stuff in my house, on usb cables, but today I got 2 pci cards from d-link, and the difference is amazing. My pings dropped dramatically and there were less hesitations in games.

Dam you americans have it lucky. over here we can get 500k DSL for about £30 (45$) a month or 1mb DSL for about £40 ($60) a month anything over that is hugely expencive.

150KB/s d/l rate and a 700MB cd in half an hour is pretty much impossible fo the average man :(

Leviathan41 said:
W00t! I just upgraded my internet connection from dial-up to DSL, now I can get more folding done because I don't have to always be around to dial-up when I need a new WU. I'll also hopefully be adding a new rig before the summer, so that will make 3 folding rigs. Every little bit helps :)

Fold on!

Yeah, buddy! Now you're cooking with gas!!!

I am still on 56K and SBC was supposed to wire my city with DSL in January but you know how that goes. So right now I still have to manually dial-up the internet. I don't want it on autodial for security reasons. I'll get alot more folding results turned in this summer after DSL gets here hopefully. Right now I just have to sit through the hardache of knowing 1/5 of the time my computers are sitting doing nothing. Congrats on your DSL. I am very jeolous of you. :p

Leviathan41 said:

Fold on!

Back