• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different Drive performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cojac92

I wanted to run Crystal disk mark on all my drives, just to see a comparison. I'm not showing off any of my drives... Because they are all 3 pretty lame. I just wanted to show some other people the differences I found.

All 3 of these drives are pretty standard and I'm sure a lot of other people have similar ones

First drive... My boot drive. OCZ Agility 2 SATA II SSD.

OCZAgility2.png

Second drive, my Steam storage. Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB 7200RPM SATA II

WDHDD.png

Third drive, my external drive. I use it for Music, videos, all drivers and utilities for all the systems in my house, and I run a backup on all my systems to this drive once a week.

It's a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB 5400RPM SATA II, in a Masscool USB 3.0 enclosure. I am using my USAP USB 3.0 connection on my motherboard in my sig for this test.

USB30USAPExternal.png

The external has a pretty nice sequential read and write speed, but for most of us the 4k read and writes is where you will see all your average use performance.

Thanks for checking it out! :)

I am scared to even run those on my slow drives lol makes me want to go SSD.

I am scared to even run those on my slow drives lol makes me want to go SSD.

In my opinion, it's the single best upgrade anyone could ever buy for their system. I've had my Agility 2 for 2 years now. I'm going to be buying a Vertex 4 256GB within 4-5 weeks.

I'll never have another system without one.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I forgot I planned to reply to 2 different people. Otherwise I would have done a multi-quote.

In my opinion, it's the single best upgrade anyone could ever buy for their system. I've had my Agility 2 for 2 years now. I'm going to be buying a Vertex 4 256GB within 4-5 weeks.

I'll never have another system without one.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I forgot I planned to reply to 2 different people. Otherwise I would have done a multi-quote.

I am running crystal mark now I will post my terrible results to guilt myself into getting a SSD.Part of me has been afraid of having a SSD fail me.

picture.php

picture.php

Western Digital 250 GB (OS)
Fujitsu 160gb (music storage)

These are slower then I thought

If it serves your purpose then there isn't anything wrong with it. :)

Yeah they do take acre of me pretty well, have you had any problems with your SSD and does it really feel that much faster ?

Yeah they do take acre of me pretty well, have you had any problems with your SSD and does it really feel that much faster ?

Nope I haven't had any problems with my SSD. They do have a finite number of writes (say after 1,000 writes it dies, although it's actually way way way higher than that) After using my Agility 2 for 2 years everyday this SSD is still at around 90% life, so it's still got a while to go. But since their is no moving parts you gain more reliability out of it than HDD. The majority of the people in our hobby don't see the benefits of their SSD's full sequential read & write speeds.

What they do notice is the 100x times faster 4K reads & writes. Which is just normal desktop use. Have your OS and applications on your SSD makes everything just feel super crisp. Everything opens instantly, and boot times are pretty short. As long as you don't have any other hardware bottlenecks.

I'm currently getting 9 second cold boot times. That's going from pressing the power button to hitting the Windows login screen. Boot times can vary a lot depending on your motherboard though. I got 5 second boot times with my Intel BOXDP67BGB3 motherboard and this SSD. I even got as slow as a 15 second boot time with an ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3.

I am normally able to stuff 1 game onto my SSD along with my OS and a handful of other programs. BF3 load times are around 5-7 seconds.

There isn't anything wrong with not having one, but once you get one I doubt you will want to go back.

Back