• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Direct dry ice cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are plenty of teams made up of really smart guys around the world using dry ice to OC. They all use some sort of pot for the dry ice. You may want to propose your theory to them and see what they think. However, if it was a good idea you can bet some of them would have nice graphite or carbon fiber tongs, a big glove, and a new world record.

There is an overwhelming number of reasons trying to cool your CPU while holding a hunk of dry ice with tongs is a very bad idea. Several of them have been given here already.

If you decide to try this, film it so you can submit it to You Tube or whatever that site is. I'd love to watch.

There has to be a reason we use a liquid medium though... And therefore need some sort of pot.
I really hope you dont try and do dry ice with a pair of tongs.

The acetone isn't 100% necessary, but something in order to hold the heat is. David's post is the scientific explanation of why a chunk of DI by itself won't have enough heat capacity to deal with any modern CPU.

It's impressive to see someone begin to think this far at age 12...but you've got years and years of learning ahead of you. Easy does it. ;)

I thought the IHS (the heat SPREADER) was to spread the heat over more surface area, so that a heatsink with a larger surface area, which increases the amount of heat transfered, could be used, Instead of having an area the size of the core give off the heat, the IHS spreads the heat around enhancing the cooling capabilities. Go ahead, run your chip without a HS on it and rely on the IHS to keep your chip alive. :rolleyes:

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
I thought the IHS (the heat SPREADER) was to spread the heat over more surface area, so that a heatsink with a larger surface area, which increases the amount of heat transfered, could be used, Instead of having an area the size of the core give off the heat, the IHS spreads the heat around enhancing the cooling capabilities. Go ahead, run your chip without a HS on it and rely on the IHS to keep your chip alive. :rolleyes:
Also to protect the core from being chipped or crushed. Someone should try putting dry ice right on top of the core with no IHS, yay!

Actually if there were a way to feed an exact die/IHS size piece of 10' long DI, it would work. Not as well as a container of some kind but it would work :D

Back