• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dirt cheap supercooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what type if apps support duelies? Ive never bothered cause I mostly only need performance in games, and none of them do.
Guess you need to run 2000 also.
AKDUDE

For those of us living down in Sunny Florida could you box me some of that cold air and send it my way? My poor watercooled system idles at 24C and maxes at 32C under load :(
I should break down and fire up the AC unit but with the fires and the heat I think I am doomed anyway hehehe.

Tomsawyer (Feb 25, 2001 07:11 p.m.):
For those of us living down in Sunny Florida could you box me some of that cold air and send it my way? My poor watercooled system idles at 24C and maxes at 32C under load :(
I should break down and fire up the AC unit but with the fires and the heat I think I am doomed anyway hehehe.

## Wanna swap ? *smiles* There's a bit of snow on the ground but it would be a good trade I got about 9 PC's sitting here. What do you think Summer temps in trade for some artic temps ? =) ##

what about puting the motherboard in a frezzer. The drives could be in a case outside the frezzer. This might work better for use the live below the 32 parallel.
Think of it the case would be ease to open. The light would be great and the cold beer would be close.

Sweet idea, I like Kat live in Michigan. I did something similar just for fun. I put my radiator outside :) But when the January thaw came, I brought the radiator back in-doors. That's the bad thing about Michigan Climate, It can never make it's mind up to be Hot or Cold, it does that crazy "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 miniutes" thing.

the minute before I saw this post I placed my computer in front of a open window... and lo cpu temp went down from 40c to uhm... still going down.. :)
15 now.. and it is still indoors. ( living in sweden, i.e cold...)

I had the same idea about conducting air through a vent in my wall. But someone told me that condensation could be a problem. Perhaps it is worth a try ?

Has someone experienced any kind of damage to the system doing this under a longer period of time?

EAG (Feb 26, 2001 07:15 p.m.):
the minute before I saw this post I placed my computer in front of a open window... and lo cpu temp went down from 40c to uhm... still going down.. :)
15 now.. and it is still indoors. ( living in sweden, i.e cold...)

I had the same idea about conducting air through a vent in my wall. But someone told me that condensation could be a problem. Perhaps it is worth a try ?

Has someone experienced any kind of damage to the system doing this under a longer period of time?

In my case condensation is not an issue. The dew point <the temp at which condensation starts to form> is always well below the outside temp. And as with any air cooled system, getting below ambient temp is very difficult.

There is an easy way to determine the dew point level in your city. Just tap into your local airport weather forcast. Its very accurate and is updated every hour.

Here's a link to my local airport. Today is a balmy -10c to warm for any serious OCing. :) It also shows the dew point at -15c so I know I dont have to worry unless I can get my chip 5 degrees below the ambient temp. which is unlikely.

Just as an update. On Sunday when it hit -28c I got my p700e system to run stable at 1073mhz. When I say stable that includes running the ram at 150mhz turbo settings, cas 2.

Using Sandra my CPU benched out at 2858/1448 my ram benched at 466/528.
Just to reminde you, that ram is cheap bargin basement Apacer ram. So it seems to benifit from the extream cold as well.

I could have gone higher if I had more Cvoltage. My board tops out at 1.85 though some have indicated they can set theirs to 1.90 I really need in the 2 volt range to push this chip to its full potential. Its a shame the weather is starting to warm up :(

If anyone knows of how to mod the voltage on a vp6 let me know.

Thanks.

Someone asked about putting the Motherboard into the freezer and if this would work.

Thats actually what inspired me to put my system outside. I wanted to build a complete colling unit that cooled everything off to get the max performance out of all the components. I did not want to spend a pile of money building such a system if I wasn't going to see any benifits.

So here's what I have learned.

1) Temp is everything. I was able to go from 700 - 933 easily. my cpu underload was 40c. But to go the extra 70 mhz to break the one gig barrier I had to drop more than 40c. To hit my current max stable speed of 1073mhz I had to drop an additional 20c. My cpu was -20c while running at 1073mhz.

2) Ram and chipsets seem to benifit as well from the cold.

3) Other cards may not like the cold as much but don't seem to be adversly affected.

4) My HD seemed to be ok even at extreame temps ie -20c however common sense says that cold and moving mechanical parts dont mix so when it hit -20c I decided to move the HD inside.

5) CD roms and writers do not like the cold! especially writers.

So my final conclusion after this experiment is that building a dedicated cooling unit to cool the whole case would be benifical for temps too aprox -2c. Anything below that and disk drives may start to act up. To go below -2c you should look at isolating the Motherboard from the drives.

MsNath (Feb 27, 2001 09:26 a.m.):
Just to reminde you, that ram is cheap bargin basement Apacer ram. So it seems to benifit from the extream cold as well.
I have el-cheapo Apacer memory in a few on my computers. I noticed it's benefit from cold temps about a month ago. Mine is PC133 CAS3, and I got the system to post with the memory at 140 CAS2. I put the memory in the freezer for a few miniutes, then popped it in my system.

If anyone knows of how to mod the voltage on a vp6 let me know.
Here is a link to vid pin wiring instructions on a website I write for. It will get you as much as 2.05V to work with.

Jeff Evans (Feb 27, 2001 09:34 a.m.):
I have el-cheapo Apacer memory in a few on my computers. I noticed it's benefit from cold temps about a month ago. Mine is PC133 CAS3, and I got the system to post with the memory at 140 CAS2. I put the memory in the freezer for a few miniutes, then popped it in my system.

Yep thats the same ram I'm using! I always run it at cas2 even though its supposed to be cas 3 ram. Its amazing how much better it preforms at -20c :)

Condensation issue

Here's the setting I'm planning to use in about two weeks: Two dryer vent hoses, one from outdoor to the computer case; one from the case to the outdoor. Two fans, one pushing air in the case, one out of it(outdoor). This way you may save on heating bill, since it can become an issue (you wouldn't want to pay more in heating then what you save from OCing...?)You can isolate the ducts and the case a little bit too.

And you should make sure to protect, in some way, the air intake from snow (or rainfall, in case of a random thaw)(optimally, I would attach both ducts on a (wooden?)"window adaptor", wich may include the usual Dryer vent OUTPUT).

CONDENSATION INSIDE the case should really not be a problem, since you actually provoke cold air to be in contact with hotter surfaces (CPU, CARD, RAM, MB etc.)However, it is quite possible to see a lot of condensation OUTSIDE the case, since it WILL be quite under the dew point of your home's -humid- air.

I may choose the "small freezer" solution, using some second hand, 75$ (canadian), freezer easily found in ClassAdds. In this case, condensation would be a MAJOR ISSUE. But all year through solution of relatively cheap super cooling, available even in extremely hot regions is quite seducing.

Hope this may help. Some concrete results in a near future....
AMR, from canada (quebec, more precisely)

Back