• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do our computer systems really cost all that much to run?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just did some heat checking and I have 123F coming from the video card plus 2 more 35CFM fans exhausting 110F out the rear (attic). If this were all exhausting into the room it would equate to a bit over 105CFM and that means all the air in the room will theoretically circulate through the case 3 times every hour.

I will get the power usage later but it goes back to what I was getting to earlier. lower power processors save money two fold. Yes they save pennies a day but they make a difference in you total power bill as well.

No I think Mudd said he had a room for his rigs and an AC for that. That is good. Noe for the person with one rig in one room and central AC they will have to make things a bit cooler in the entire house to lower the temp in one room thereby having an exponential increase in spending. You cant just look at the power in from the wall you must look at the heat out to fully realize the impact of the few watts saved.

Yes the PC is not burning much power but that has little impact on the total cost of running the rig.

Mmm, delicious confirmation bias!

All I am asking for is the numbers so that we can see what kind of a rig measures out to be using significantly more. Before I started the thread I assumed my system used a lot more then it did. Without measurements, all we have is the assumptions and general comments we had before...

I should probably mention that my PC is being water cooled so there's a MCP355 (18W) and 4 San Ace H101 fans (4*6.24W = 24.96W if at full speed) that's not in most PCs.

As for cooling my room, that really doesn't matter when living in the Southeast US. It will always be at least hot as hell in there, and with the AC off it's about 1.5 * hot as hell. Oh, and don't forget the relative humid at 75% or higher at all times. So, no real difference....

I should probably mention that my PC is being water cooled so there's a MCP355 (18W) and 4 San Ace H101 fans (4*6.24W = 24.96W if at full speed) that's not in most PCs.

If your fans aren't being controlled via PWM then either way it is still using 24.96W.

c627627 - The point behind the power savings really isn't meant to save the average home user large sums of money.

For one it is a great marketing tool. It allows laptop users a much longer run time on battery before needing to be recharged. The side benefit of this is a longer lasting battery as batteries only have a certain amount of recharges before degrading. Businesses need to run expensive power sucking servers so they need to cut down on their bill, so anything that saves them money is worthwhile. More efficient power usage means that Intel can continue increasing the speeds on their chips. They are also working towards getting noise generated by the computer down. The world is using up an increasing amount of energy every day, so if we save 10watts per person, then that will make a difference in pollution and consumption of natural resources.

In other words, their power savings isn't meant for you.

Put it this way. Running a 1000w light for 18 hours/day added $25/month to my power bill. My computer is the least of my worries :) A computer, unless folding/crunching 24/7, wont nearly get to 1kw. Most people dont even utilize their computers more than a few hours/day and even then its drawing full wattage. Havent done the math but Id bet leaving my computer on 24/7 for the month and using it, I probably add about $12 - $15/month to my bill.

sounds like a sodium halide light on a fast grow cycle ;)

Regardless......

Ill grab a kill-a-watt as this has peaked my interest.

And the topic of the A/C to cool the computer cant really be figured in all that much honestly. When its 120 outside, AC is going regardless and the computer is the least of my worries :)

OK, here are some hard numbers for you to chew on, c6. These are checked with my kill-a-watt on each individual rig. Since I run Rosetta, I have no idle time; everything is always at 100% cpu load. And for simulating gpu crunching in either F@H or Seti, I do a separate measure with Rosetta running plus Furmark running in 640X 480 windowed mode. That loads the gpu, but not as high as full screen mode and will more simulate a gpu crunching than running Furmark at max. And I will update this as I get time with the rest of my systems; just have 2 done right now.

QX9650 [email protected], has a 9800GTX+ (55nm gpu) vid card, psu-Corsair VX550
Powered down, just plugged into the wall - 2.5 watts, .2 pf
Powered up, running Rosetta - 250 watts, .99 pf
Powered up, running Rosetta & windowed Furmark - 370 watts, .99 pf

i7 [email protected], has a Thermi 570GTX vid card, psu-Seasonic X-650
Powered down, just plugged into wall - 8 watts, .45 pf
Powered up, running Rosetta - 430 watts, .99 pf
Powered up, running Rosetta & windowed Furmark - 500 watts, .99 pf

i7 [email protected], has a 9800GTX (old version .65 nm gpu), psu-BFG ES800
Powered down, just plugged into wall - 1.7 watts, .16 pf
Powered up, running Rosetta - 215 watts, 1.0 pf
Powered up, running Rosetta & windowed Furmark - 315 watts, .99 pf

i7 [email protected], has old 7900GTX vid card that can't do gpu work, psu-Cougar S700
Powered down, just plugged into wall - 1.5 watts, .12 pf
Powered up, running Rosetta - 330 watts, .99 pf

Mac [email protected], bone azz stock
Powered down, just plugged into wall - 1 watt, .23 pf
Powered up, running Rosetta - 43 watts, .99 pf

EDIT: Additional info added]

Window AC I have to run in computer room to keep these machines cooled down.

Fan running only - 165 watts
When compressor is on actively cooling (fan on high) - 1270-1285 watts

Last edited:
Regardless......

Ill grab a kill-a-watt as this has peaked my interest.

And the topic of the A/C to cool the computer cant really be figured in all that much honestly. When its 120 outside, AC is going regardless and the computer is the least of my worries :)

You are dead wrong there my friend. You have to figure the heat dump into the room that you have to cool. Not so bad with just 1 system, but try 4-5 running and see what happens. I had to put a 12000btu window unit in my computer room to handle the extra heatload.

A 1600 sq ft home is roughly 12800 cubic feet. a standard NON-Overclocked PC may put out 35CFM @ 100F. In 6 hours you have heated 12600 cubic feet of air. That is one normal rig.

Just my living room HTPC has 3 35CFM exhaust fans @ 110F + the video card @ 123 F and this is with an ambient room temp of 73. Now this is at 100% and the CPU is always at 100% and the GPU is generally idle to 10-15%. So we will call this a high end system for our purposes.

In a bedroom or any room a system like this can substantially increase the heat level causing you to lower the temp of the entire house to offset this heat.

If we call the GPU 10CFM then we have 115CFM @ 114F (to offset for the GPU temperature difference) which will quickly and drastically heat a closed room of 10 x 12 x 8 feet (960 cubic feet) in much less than an hour. Every 8m and 21s you theoretically heat all of the air in the room and the increase is exponential because the air going in is constantly increasing in temperature.

This is the heat off of one rig and I have had rigs shut sown due to excessive heat in the room.

This is the extent I have gone to at times. 4000BTU AC to cool the rig and the rest of the room.

cooling.png

The lower power parts from Intel, AMD, ATi and HDD makers can save a bit of money. Every watt in is heat out and lowering the input will lower your power bill two fold. Oh yeah HDDs can create a bit of heat.

Last edited:
I got all my systems info updated in post #50. What surprised me the most was how much more efficient the 2600K system is than my 1366 systems.

Thanks for the info, muddocktor, what did you say your rates were, what are these things costing you in dollars?

I'll have to look at the rates; suckers just jacked them up again last month with a fuel surcharge.

Also, I will see if I can remember to check the power draw on the AC unit in the computer room too, which is needed to keep it from becoming hotter than the Sahara in August.

Oh I agree if you have multiple systems (especially as many as you have going) but when you just have 1 going, its really not all that much. My 56" plasma TV puts out more heat than my computer lol.

I just bought one of those power meters and my computer (excluding monitor and sounds) uses around 400W while running 8 threads of Prime95 and running Furmark simultaneously. The computer uses around 135W at idle.

Interestingly enough, my 24" LED monitor only uses around 25W on average.

OK, I got out my last electric bill from these ripoff artists that I have for an electric company. Their bill sure is complicated too.:mad: I guess I can thank our present government for some of this horse dung.:mad:

Rate - first 3500 KWH - $0.064/KWH
Rate - AFTER 3500 KWH - $0.09/KWH
Fuel Surcharge - $0.03622/KWH
Envir. Charge - $0.00349
Storm Restoration Charge - $2 plus $0.00112/KWH
Storm Tax Credit - $0.001/KWH
Temp Tax Credit $0.00111/KWH
Infrastructure & Incr. Costs Recovery - $0.00902/KWH

So, trying to come up with a number from this crap, I have arrived at a number of $0.11174/KWH for my computer electricity used, and taking it from the first 2500 KWH allotment.

1. Electricity/month used by QX9650 system, running Rosetta - 6 KWH/Day X 30 Days=180KWH. X $0.11174/KWH=$20.11 Month

2. Electricity/month used by I7 980x system, running Rosetta - 10.32 KWH/Day X 30 Days=309.6KWH. X $0.11174/KWH=$34.60 Month

3. Electricity/month used by I7 2600K system, running Rosetta - 5.16 KWH/Day X 30 Days=154.8 KWH X $0.11174/KWH=$17.30 Month

4. Electricity/month used by I7 930 system, running Rosetta - 7.92 KWH/Day X 30 Days=237.6 KWH X $0.11174/KWH=$26.55 Month

5. Electricity/month used by Mac Mini system, running Rosetta - 1.032 KWH/DAY X 30 Days=30.96 KWH X $0.11174/KWH=$3.46 Month

Computer usage by themselves total per month - $102.02

For window unit electricity usage, I will figure 70% duty cycle (which is probably on the very low side, especially during summer) for the compressor. So I end up with the compressor running 504 hours/month and just the fan running 216 hours per month. I will average the compressor power usage at 1275 watts because I found it varied between 1270 to 1285 watts. So:

Compressor running: 504 hours X 1275 watts=642,600 watt-hours/1000=642.6 KWH X $0.11174/KWH=$71.80

Compressor off/Fan running: 216 hours X 165 watts=35,640 watt-hours/1000=35.64 KWH X $0.11174/KWH=$3.99

Window unit electricity used (probably very low for summer usage)=$75.79

KWH Used for computers for month, computers and cooling - 1591.2 KWH/Month

Computer usage per month, computers and cooling - $177.81

There are some hard numbers to look at now. c6. :)

Last edited:
Wow! That was really informative! Is this in Louisiana, the way they set up the billing system really rips people off, muddocktor.

I think the interesting thing about your figures is that it allows us to see real world differences between the new 2600K, QX9650, and the i7 930 - so all things being equal, if they all did the same things for the same amount of time, can someone do the math what muddocktor's figures show them to be spending when compared to each other?

Yeah, it really surprised me how much more efficient the 2600K is over the older processors, c6. This is definitely something to look at if you are a DC farmer like I am. I wish I had gotten the time to check power usage on the i7 875K system I had crunching, but I swapped it with 87dtna last Friday, before i had a chance to put the kill-a-watt on that system.

Back