• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Docsis 2.0 vs docsis 3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pvt.Dancer

My modem is about to take a dump and I need to get a new one. Im faced with docsis 2.0 or docsis 3.0 iv done some research and know that docsis 3 does IPv6 and supposedly has the ability to do higher speeds assuming you have them from the said isp is there anythign else im missing?

I'd think it may be slightly more stable when the transition happens. I'd say just get a DOCSIS 3 modem now. That way you won't have to later.

do you know when they will be requiring docsis 3 i mean i know theres probably not a standard date but any guess?

Docsis 3 just depends on the speed you are subscribed to. Docsis 3 supports multiple channels where docsis 1 and 2 only support single channels. That and ipv6. There's a bit more to it, but that is the basic gist.

thanks i guess thats about all in need to know, but out of curiousity what can you tell me about the multiple vs single channels of docsis 3?

A big thing to consider when planning on going Docsis 2.0/3.0 is compatibility with your ISP. Does your ISP support Docsis 3.0? Some don't yet.

Brian

I would go ahead and get a D3 modem.

For more info regarding the differences:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

I got a Motorola SB6120 for my modem for $75, with the rental fee for my ISP it paid itself off in 10 months, not bad, imo.

yea i already read through the wiki article earlier just wasn't really understanding how the multiple channels work on the modem.

Back