• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone use or play with bong coolers anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol, that sounds like another bong project =P. Always fun to see them in action, those bongs. It's without doubt the most lucrative way of cooling a chip.

Have fun with it and keep us updated. =)

Those require 40psi to do much of anything, 70psi is better. Probably too much, though they'd get things wonderfully cool!

Keep in mind that anything with a pad design is going to grab dirt like crazy, acting as a filter. Not a big deal but it introduces more maintenance than you'll already have just keeping the bong from going empty.

Not a big deal, as I think we've all already accepted the fact a bong isn't practical for everyday use.

Also, what your shooting for in the design is maximized surface area of the water. Ping pong balls could be used because they create a very thin sheet of water, allow air to flow freely, and don't capture dirt or debris that will clog things up and be a pain to clean.

Other materials may produce similar results. It'd be interesting to observe results between using pads/filters and not using them.

I haven't seen anybody perform anything resembling reliable testing and reporting of results and temperatures, so it'd be cool to see.

well if i can get the plastic sheets at a good price i will likely build this. i will disconnect my rad/pump housing and hook up my blocks to the tank with a D4 pump. the only problem will be priming the pump every time.

though with christmas coming up i may not have time, so it may have to wait for a month.

A fishtank isn't relevant or interesting, a bong cooler may be impractical in every day usage, but its fun, cool, improves temps, and its the topic of this thread.

BTW, I've never seen shelve designs that I remember until this thread. I wonder how that works compared to something which creates a spray or allows drips. Possibly holes in the sheets to increase the surface area of the water? Droplets create a lot more surface area for evaporation, compared to a sheet of water.

Well thats the whole point of what people were doing with bongs back in the day. I've seen everything from showerheads > copper pot scrubbers > in 3" ID PVC with a 3" Y trap near the bottom(about 4 1/2' tall) > 120MM HO Delta in the 150+ CFM range. Those are frigging sweet. I think it was HOOT that wrote up the thread about that one. There are many different ways to go about it. Unless you could get you hands on Beryllium Copper flashing(Which why would you want to even live in the same house as that stuff). Then I'm not quite so sure that the flashing idea is going to work unless the stack was super tall maybe 4" T x 2" W with the water slants being changed and 1/16" - 1/8" bored holes into the flashing
see diagram:

W=Water input *=drips ^=choreboy(something non metallic) T=Tank |= Side of Bong....Sorry can't seem to make it a straight side
W
-------^|
*****^|
^-------|
^***** |
-------^|
*****^|
TTTTTTT
TTTTTTT

I'm not quite sure if this diagram will make sense to anyone but me but I get it and thats all that matters(I really do hope someone else picks up what I'm puttin down). Maybe I'll either get around to a drawing or just make it.

Keep in mind that anything with a pad design is going to grab dirt like crazy, acting as a filter. Not a big deal but it introduces more maintenance than you'll already have just keeping the bong from going empty.

Better in the floss than in the pump/loop!

i know what you mean AF.

man, ping pong balls are pricey. the cheapest i found was $10 for a bag of 36. and of course it didn't help that i saw you can make smoke bombs by cutting them up...

i think i can get some free fish filter floss from (like that... 5 f's) big al's from collected points.

Hello all. I have been running an evaporative cooler for over a year and when I saw this thread I figured I would register :D If you are curious about bong coolers take a look at the Bong Lovers club thread on OCN. There are a few of us who use these things. Most of us have moved away from tower style bongs and are using a horizontal version of the cooler that Volenti came up with way back.
Here is a pic of my current evaporative cooler (not much to look at but it works like a champ)
horizontalvolenti004.jpg
It stays sub-ambient and is pretty much silent unless I run fans on it.

Last edited:
Hello all. I have been running an evaporative cooler for over a year and when I saw this thread I figured I would register :D If you are curious about bong coolers take a look at the Bong Lovers club thread on OCN. There are a few of us who use these things. Most of us have moved away from tower style bongs and are using a horizontal version of the cooler that Volenti came up with way back.
Here is a pic of my current evaporative cooler (not much to look at but it works like a champ)
horizontalvolenti004.jpg
It stays sub-ambient and is pretty much silent unless I run fans on it.

Sorry man can't even tell what that is got better pics or a link to the article on this project?

to me it looks like he got some pvc and some of that garden hose that is porous so the water drips out from everywhere along those black lines. or it's pvc through out but the runs have been drilled and covered with a type of foam to get surface area.

but i don't see a fan or anything to increase performance.

i know what you mean AF.

man, ping pong balls are pricey. the cheapest i found was $10 for a bag of 36. and of course it didn't help that i saw you can make smoke bombs by cutting them up...

i think i can get some free fish filter floss from (like that... 5 f's) big al's from collected points.

when i used to make smoke bombs with them, i would buy a box of 100 from china for about £30 on ebay.

to me it looks like he got some pvc and some of that garden hose that is porous so the water drips out from everywhere along those black lines. or it's pvc through out but the runs have been drilled and covered with a type of foam to get surface area.

but i don't see a fan or anything to increase performance.

It is made from 1/2" pvc. There are holes drilled along the top of the 'rungs'. That is not foam, it is cheap towels I got at the local Walmart. I do have 2 fans blowing into the reservoir that this 'rack' sits on.
Pics. Sure.
horizontalvolenti003.jpg

This is the rack without the towels. I took one 'rung' out because it would not fit into the tub I got at Walmart with 7. I don't think I lost much performance.
NajaCooler002.jpg

Here is another of it next to the rig it cools.
horizontalvolenti002.jpg

I did not post links before because I was not sure if it was ok to post links to other forums.
links to bong threads: Most are linked on the first post in the 'bong lovers club thread. The horizontal volenti style coolers don't show up until towards the end of the thread however.
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/406256-official-bong-lovers-club-56k-fail.html
This thread was not linked, however it was the first Volenti style cooler built on OCN as far as I know..
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/433658-nub-builds-better-bong.html

I changed tubs from the clear one to the green one because the first would not fit into the reservoir I had been using for my earlier versions. Like I said, it is not much to look at. But it keeps my water nice and chilly.
I have been running evaporative coolers for over a year now and am planning to change over to a ghetto style water chiller using a window air conditioner this summer. I mainly just posted to say hello - it was a nice surprise to find an active and current bong cooler thread on another forum :D

Last edited:
Thanks for posting up overclockednub, forgot the name volenti until you mentioned it. weren't there whirlpool style designs back maybe 5 or 7 years ago? I remember someone milling these things out of solid blocks of acrylic, or maybe I'm confusing a couple different designs... It's been a long time.

Thanks for posting up overclockednub, forgot the name volenti until you mentioned it. weren't there whirlpool style designs back maybe 5 or 7 years ago? I remember someone milling these things out of solid blocks of acrylic, or maybe I'm confusing a couple different designs... It's been a long time.

There were whirlpool coolers... I have found a few old posts showing pictures of them in action. However I have not seen any performance info.
There are about 6 of us using this version of Volenti's design over on OCN. Naja002 is the one who came up with it -sort of (turns out that somebody else had already turned a Volenti on it's side years ago...) - he also posts on XtremeSystems and a few other forums. He built a couple different bong cooler projects for his crunching rigs.

This seems like a friendly enough forums :D OCN water cooling section seems to have become more about bling than about performance now :(
I did post about this forum and thread over there... so you guys may see other bong users poking around here soon :sn:
You guys have better smilies here.....

Thanks, I appreciate that. We pride ourselves on keeping a friendly atmosphere. :welcome:

I think the whirlpool coolers were essentially using the same evaporative technique to get improved cooling, just with a different design.

Here's probably what I was thinking of, tho it sucks because it's missing almost all the pictures - it's from 2002 tho so it's been 7 years. Thats why we try to get our best stuff on the frontpage these days, so it stands the test of time better. And Pepsi ended up ripping some people off by taking their money and never delivering on the goods. Volenti had posted there quite a bit, and lots of his comments there are still relevant. It talks about some of the stuff I was remembering, and it has 600 and some posts:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=58781&highlight=whirlpool

Thanks, I appreciate that. We pride ourselves on keeping a friendly atmosphere. :welcome:

I think the whirlpool coolers were essentially using the same evaporative technique to get improved cooling, just with a different design.

Here's probably what I was thinking of, tho it sucks because it's missing almost all the pictures - it's from 2002 tho so it's been 7 years. Thats why we try to get our best stuff on the frontpage these days, so it stands the test of time better. And Pepsi ended up ripping some people off by taking their money and never delivering on the goods. Volenti had posted there quite a bit, and lots of his comments there are still relevant. It talks about some of the stuff I was remembering, and it has 600 and some posts:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=58781&highlight=whirlpool
Volenti (that name keeps coming up in relation to these things eh?) experimented with this. There is a pic here showing a bucket reservoir he had with a really strong pump making a whirlpool that I think was intended for cooling. However he did not post temps.
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=3884&highlight=whirlpool&page=2
Read that thread... 22 pages.... yeesh. Ironic that a guy who says he got ripped off ends up ripping off somebody else... After reading it, it seems that this design does not perform as well as a tower style bong or drip tube style bong - less evaporation = less cooling.
I am looking forward to seeing your forum project bong get built and tested :D

Last edited:
Teaser!

click the links below for full images.. (very large BTW)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1962/img0375b.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4593/img0376iw.jpg

i got a quote for the plastic sheets and it's more then i want to spend. so i am going to get a sheet of plywood, or half and get heavy duty plastic bags to coat the insides.

then use that leaf gutter guard as trays and surface area along with some filter floss.

i guess i should start my own thread now, but i want to go through with it first.

Last edited:
Back