• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Hz affect LCDs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

I was wondering if Hz affects LCDs as much as it does CRTs. I just got my Samsung 710T in the mail today :cool: :thup: and it's so sweet!!!! And I still haven't tried the DVI port. It says on the box that it's 75Hz. Would running it higher than that help with anything? And would I risk damaging the monitor?

Thanks

In answer to your question, no lcd's are way diffrent and you won't notice flickering at 60hz even. Most lcd's top out at 75hz anyways. Running above this can damage the lcd if you run your resolution above it's native resolution and refresh rate. An example would be my samsung 213T I run 1600x1200 60hz and there is zero flickering, whereas on my old viewsonic crt 1600x1200 60hz was doing some serious flickering.

My LCD supports 75hz, but when I change it to 75hz or 72hz all of the text gets very blurry.... only at 70hz and lower does it look good.

Hooking it up to DVI would make the biggest difference. I hear it's supposed to be nice :).

Yea the dvi connection to my monitor looks alot better than when it's in analog mode. The colors look sharper and the text is noticeably easier to read.

CRT's:
They work by the electron guns constantly 'firing' the image onto the screen. Refresh rate effects these more because the faster they continually fire the image the less flicker you will see.

LCD's:
Once a display pixel on an LCD is a certain color it doesnt change unless it gets instructions to. Refresh rate doesnt effect LCD's because theres no electron gun that has to contatnly display the image. Once its set it stays that way until it changes.

Back