• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Windows rot over time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What causes Windows to die over time?

• Total voters
Do you guys agree that ME was the worst Windows release yet? The one ME system I had went from bad to super sad in a matter of weeks. Crazy BSOD's. There were no problems the moment I switched over to 98SE!

MRD said:
Holy crap. That's unbelievable. I thought it was bad when spybot found 5 tracking cookies.

I've seen worse.

fivea.jpg

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1148/

If you format and reinstall every couple months, seriously, do yourself a favor and get ghost. You can make a standard build, then tie in your basic apps. Then instead of having to answer any configuration questions, slipstream, or anything else, you just create an image of the "standard build", save it on a seperate partition, then when it comes time to reinstall you just insert your ghost disk and pull the image over onto your system partition... Done. MUCH faster than toying with slipstreaming or manual install.

I have had my copy of Win XP Pro for almost 2 years I was working for a dispatch team for a company called ScanSource. They were selling IBM PC's and sometimes when customers bought them they had the chance to purchase Windows 2000 NT. For some reason someone ordered Windows XP Pro too since they didn't need it I bought it for £110 (Robbery).

Since I built this system up last June time it's never stayed on has XP Pro for more than 4 months without having a problem. Then a re-install is all I can do I think now I can't do it anymore cause I've over used the Product Key but since September it's been OK. Even since I've OCed it's been stable sometimes it takes a while to load up everything when I log in but I'm happy (So Far).

AngelfireUk83 said:
Since I built this system up last June time it's never stayed on has XP Pro for more than 4 months without having a problem. Then a re-install is all I can do I think now I can't do it anymore cause I've over used the Product Key but since September it's been OK. Even since I've OCed it's been stable sometimes it takes a while to load up everything when I log in but I'm happy (So Far).

Since your legit, a call to microsoft should be painless for this - there is no limit to how many times you can use the key on one machine. :)

It's all about if they care about your business or not. They figure you have to buy the os, so they can treat you like crap, but you don't have to buy their games... far from it. Sony has a bigger market share than M$ does in the console market, and many other companies make games as good as or better than those of M$.

It reminds me of a favorite Saturday Night Live skit, which the younger people won't really remember or understand. In the old days, when I was a kid, the phone company was one company, encompassing AT&T and all the regional bells. They got split up by the government for being a monopoly, and later on companies like MCI and Sprint showed up on the scene. But basically there was NO choice at all whatsoever back then.

Lily Tomlin used to do mock television commercials for the phone company on SNL. She'd sit there in front of a switchboard and casually knock out phone service for huge regions just cause she felt like it, or overcharge everyone some huge amount just for kicks. The commercial would always end with the phone company's motto, "We don't care, we don't have to, we're the phone company."

Lately my PC seems to take a little bit longer loading up the log on screen the mouse Icon shows on a black screen. Then finally the log in screen arrives I wonder if it's because it's booting from cold. Another post I did asking could the cold weather causing a cold boot effect system performance for a while till it warms up.

I've reinstalled XP twice in 5 years and it didn't need it either times. It ran 100% perfect, I just wanted a "clean" install.
If/when windows goes to hell, it's because of several things.
1. System bloated with spyware/adware. I've seen this too many times to count on friend's computers. All it takes is smart browsing and of course using Firefox.
2. Problems from other programs that are junk programs.
3. Many other problems, granted XP isn't perfect, so i'm sure there are some flaws in it too. Compared to 9X though, it's 1000 times better.

If some Windows maintenance is performed, there should not be a need to reinstall more than once every couple years.

Windows ME must be reinstalled every 12 hours or it becomes unusable.

That was a horrible product.

MRD said:

No kidding. I'm glad I never used it. I did use 98SE, but for what we used it for, it worked fine. I wouldn't be able to use it now though.

MRD said:

I didn't think it was that bad. I installed it and it worked fine for me. However I found that ME had lousy legacy and even recent driver support. The way I overcame that was to install 98SE then ME as an upgrade. Then it worked OK. I still reinstalled 98 as I saw no real advantage to MElite over 98lite. The extra goodies were in XPpro/home anyway and that was better than either DOS based OS.

Back