• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CPU VID = 1.53v
NB VID = 1.25v

Cool thanks. On a side note I think this is the most active forum on the net for messing with AMD/Phenom II OC's.
Definitely more solid info here than anywhere else, thanks Dolk! I have been linking people here from several other tech forums for P2 infos.

Im just a bit concerned about overvolting NB stuff, as my NB/cpu power circuitry heatsink is quite hot to the touch.

If you have an extra fan and a way to power it up, just put it blowing from next to the cpu over the fets to the rear exhaust. That will help keep them cool as that is the part that gets burned out and such. Mosfet cooling has been a hold back for a while now on some boards.

So if you haven't noticed I have been updating the front page. I'm almost done with my final review.

When I get a chance I will grab that sunbeam core contact, which will blow thru the hsf and out the back of the case right over the power circuitry heatsink. Along with my 2 120x38mm (loud) intake/exhaust fans I think it should do.

DDR2 for sure, right now DDR3 is still just a little rich for my blood heh. the board i was considering was the one that i currently own in my sig. i'm not entirely confident of it's overclocking capability with quad and tri core phenoms since there nothing but an old single core sitting in there.

i can definitely wait a few days for a review on that 790FX board tho! :D

Gigabyte 790FX-UD5P DDR II reviewed, enjoy

Chose to post elsewhere since a few of my posts/threads have been deleted/locked and my knowledge has been challenged.......etc not feeling welcome.

http://www.techreaction.net/2009/04/07/gigabytes-ma790fx-ud5p-ddr-ii-board-reviewed-chew-style/

The thing about the wall is you hit it once you are going for more than a 30% oc'. You can high temps with lower clocks, but you need better cooling to get it stable at the higher speeds.

You can hit the heat wall at any time - and a lot depends on your cooling. On the K8's once you were over ~40°C you started cutting into your OC potential. That didn't stop me from OC'ing an Opty 165 to barely 2800 with a temp of 55-60°C. On the other hand, when I changed over to water I got 2900+ (almost 3.0 GHz) and temps in the lower 40's.

The K10 seem to be a little better about this running an average of 50-55°C but, like their K8 ancestors, the range is rather large. Dark bishop, my guess is if your temps were down in the 50's you'd be able to clock into the 3.6-3.7 GHz range. The "heat wall" is more like the top of a curve graphing over-clock vis CPU temps - and you're past the top of the normal curve so your OC is lower than normal ...

As I have seen it, it is both a limit to your OC and a temperature wall. The idea behind the concept is that you realize that you will have to make your CPU colder in order to continue Overclocking. This same idea also works for extreme cooling.

Love the information Dolk, what a fabulous guide! I like the updated 4.0Ghz info that you have. I'll likely be building a PII system this fall and unless anything drastically changes I'll be referring to this guide.

BTW, I love how you explained the dram ratio. I'm mathematically challenged and I understood your example almost instantly. Thank you! Hopefully I will be able to be of more assistance to others now!

Good work! Keep it up!

Gigabyte 790FX-UD5P DDR II reviewed, enjoy

Chose to post elsewhere since a few of my posts/threads have been deleted/locked and my knowledge has been challenged.......etc not feeling welcome.

http://www.techreaction.net/2009/04/07/gigabytes-ma790fx-ud5p-ddr-ii-board-reviewed-chew-style/

Very nice. I'm on the UD4H 790gx version and I am also quite pleased. No complaints actually, everything works well and the bios layout is super easy to work with. As a bonus, and a first for any mobo of mine, the bios shows the rated timings for the correct speed for every timing adjustable in the bios. I usually end up guessing on the timings past 5-5-5-15 or w/e they may be

Dolk you might want to mention the voltage wall that some chips ( mostly chips with very low leakage ) run into.....my 940 will not hear 1.6v even at 5C....Needs to be be much colder to overcome it......

720's have a much higher wall as due to the nature of the chips they are high leakage to begin with......

Back