• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Research

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've seen a couple of cases where raising the chipset voltage helped.

OC'ing is an experiment, each combination of hardware a bit different. There's no telling what little something will help your OC ... ;)

You can only set the CPU VDD in the BIOS. Can you show pics of your BIOS?

So I found out that my NB Voltage is not cooled by the huge passive cooler on my Mobo :bang head
Gay design by Asus, my own fault for not realizing this ahead of time. This could be why the NB hates going anywhere near 3.0ghz. This could also be why my board hates 4.0ghz.

The top one has a smudge on the side of it, as you can see. :bang head Anyone know where I can get a waterblock for my Mobo :(

img7672hf4.jpg

you know... I was in the tool and die buisness for a while doing aftermarket car parts. to take a chunk of billet the size of your MOBO and machine it to be come in contact with everything on the board and give room for a sepreate cpu cooler would be easy as cake...

That is because the IMC is stressed more in 64bit than in a 32bit OS. Bump the volts on the NB and the other setting that affect the IMC in the PII and you will then be able to OC higher on a 64bit OS.

I can vouch for this, IDK why but I have noticed it since I got the PhII (my Kuma PhI was not hampered in any way but there again it is a diffrent animal).

The max stable I could get in 64 was a 600 OC in 32 I could get 1000 900 stable. You can play with it and do some finessing (I have but with a 200 gain it is not worth it) but many others as well as myself have had problems with a high OC in 64 bit.

High OC relative to base performance and voltage settings in my case.

That is what I said in my case and you reach a point where it starts to putter out in 64 bit before 32 bit so at max V/Heat you will run faster in 32.

got to wait for my phone to charge to take pics..
strangely this morning I booted up my machine and it's reading 5c system temp and has stayed like that for an hour so far , up to 28-29c at 3.9ghz 2.6ghz cpu-nb .. although burning in my motherboard might have helped?

Lol is it really that cold where you live?

hahaha yes and no ,It's certainly not hot but I live in England.. by the sea so that isn't helping me to stay warm hehe, 3.9ghz is a bit unstable yet I think , requiring some more tweaking yet.
This is like cold air overclocking ,I'm shivering

That is what I said in my case and you reach a point where it starts to putter out in 64 bit before 32 bit so at max V/Heat you will run faster in 32.
You have one of the best OCs I've seen on Deneb silicon, so you're settings are a big outlier to the norm :p

You are right, MS at LostCircuits measured DC CPU power at the 12v (X4 965BE) using IBT (Linpack) and 32b had 112W power draw but 64b had 122W power draw - same everything else: http://www.lostcircuits.com/mambo//...ask=view&id=62&Itemid=42&limit=1&limitstart=6

It is important to put that in perspective so check out what power other uses he checked were using.

For a 15W K8 X2 2.2GHz at 0.925v, I measured 2W difference between 32b and 64b with 64b having 2-3ºC higher CPU temps. Same load and all (IBT).

But 64b also performed much better under such load too, about 220 seconds faster.

For a 15W K8 X2 2.2GHz at 0.925v, I measured 2W difference between 32b and 64b with 64b having 2-3ºC higher CPU temps. Same load and all (IBT).

Interesting, makes perfect sense though. The upper 32 bits are probabily
not used in 32 bit mode, sitting idle, wherever 64bit registers have been
implemented inside the CPU.

You have one of the best OCs I've seen on Deneb silicon, so you're settings are a big outlier to the norm :p

You are right, MS at LostCircuits measured DC CPU power at the 12v (X4 965BE) using IBT (Linpack) and 32b had 112W power draw but 64b had 122W power draw - same everything else: http://www.lostcircuits.com/mambo//...ask=view&id=62&Itemid=42&limit=1&limitstart=6

It is important to put that in perspective so check out what power other uses he checked were using.

But 64b also performed much better under such load too, about 220 seconds faster.

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel better that I am not loosing me mind.

Back