• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Monitor Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Recently I decided to hook my PC up to my TV as well as my monitor, some games are just more fun on the big screen.
For hook-ups, the monitor is running DVI and the TV is HDMI, both from my GTX 1070.

Problem 1 - No matter what, every time I boot the computer up it defaults the TV to the main display.
Problem 2 - The monitor is 1440p and the tv is 1080p, it keeps defaulting the monitor to 1080p now.

Is there a way to permanently make the monitor 'Display 1'? Can you have two different resolution monitors running at once?

Going to display settings and selecting primary monitor doesn't save the monitor as the primary display?

nVidia Control Panel - Set Up Multiple Displays
Just right click display you want as primary and set.
My TV is display 1 and monitor display 2 but set as display 2 is "primary" :shrug:

Going to display settings and selecting primary monitor doesn't save the monitor as the primary display?
My TV is display 1 and monitor display 2 but set as display 2 is "primary" :shrug:

My tv is display 1 and monitor display 2 as well, and I can change display 2 to primary, but when I shut down the computer and reboot it the next day it's back to the tv as primary.

You're on the same OS as I am...Win 10 Pro.
Using "surround"?...I am not.
Mebbe try uninstalling ncp and reinstall?

You're on the same OS as I am...Win 10 Pro.
Using "surround"?...I am not.
Mebbe try uninstalling ncp and reinstall?

Yep, Win 10 Pro. Not using surround (at least I don't think it's set to that, I'll double check).
If all else fails, I'll try re-installing the whole nvidia package. I did just update nvidia control panel, nvidia gaming app, and the gigabyte software right before hooking up the TV. Maybe something got lost in that translation of updates.

nVidia Control Panel - Set Up Multiple Displays
Just right click display you want as primary and set.

Luta, do you have the monitor as DVI and TV on HDMI as well?

I started having weird issues with default monitors and windows moving around ever since my main monitor became my high refresh rate display port screen instead of DVI since it disconnects when power leaves and reconnects when the monitor wakes up or comes back on. I could see that causing a problem.

That's weird... I'm using a 1080P display via DVI and was using a 1080P TV via HDMI and had zero issues. I swapped the 1080P TV via HDMI for a 1440P 144Hz monitor via displayport. Still zero issues. I am extending my desktop across both screens.

The system always defaults to the DVI display for POST and other nice bios-y stuff but windows sees the 1440P Displayport screen as the main screen.

Are you sure everything is setup right? Just download the latest NVidia driver and select clean install in setup. I doubt that will fix this issue though. Any chance Windows and NVCP have conflicting extended desktop settings? Or conflicting "this screen is number 1, this one is number 2" settings?

Back