• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual system wiring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

67Elco

Contemplating fabricating my own dual system pc in a cabinet form. I would like to use one water cooled loop for both systems (cpu only) and only one would be active at a time. This will have two separate psu's. My question is can I use a sata splitter on the D5 pump safely? Would there be any concern about a backfeed to the dormant psu?

Yeah, Pump #1 and Pump #2 will both power on when you power on either unit. Unless you can fabricate a power switch to power on the pump you want at that particular time.

Yeah, Pump #1 and Pump #2 will both power on when you power on either unit. Unless you can fabricate a power switch to power on the pump you want at that particular time.
To be clear, there will be only one pump and one loop...just so happens it will cool either cpu depending on which one is running currently. That is the reason for a sata splitter at the pump...either psu can power it. I was only concerned if there might be a backfeed issue to the dormant psu thru the splitter.

Ok, yeah you'll get backfeed to the secondary psu which is the scary part. Again, if you want to eliminate that, you'll have to have some sort of power cut-off to the dormant PSU, whichever that one is.

You might have to create 2 cut-off points so either dormant PSU won't get backfeed from the live one.

Get something like Phanteks Revolt X PSU https://www.phanteks.com/Revolt-X.html and save yourself problems with cable mods or other things. No matter if you decide on a single or dual loop (1 or 2 pumps), or any other components, it will work.
Evidently nothing about this wants to be simple. Sounds like a great idea, but I have yet to find one that is actually for a "dual system". The ones I have found for sale on Newegg and Amazon are power supply only, single system and you have to buy cables separately from CableMod. Not reflected on their site, but it's my guess they are no longer offering these psu's.

Last edited:
This PSU I linked was released a half year ago, and it has listed a set of cables for dual systems. It's clearly listed on the product page, and there are even pictures of all the cables.

This PSU I linked was released a half year ago, and it has listed a set of cables for dual systems. It's clearly listed on the product page, and there are even pictures of all the cables.
Agreed, but I have yet to find one for sale anywhere. The psu's I found on Amazon and Newegg are not dual and all but their SFF psu's come without cables...must be purchased separately from CableMod. Btw, that dual system capable psu has been offered since at least 2018...not a half year ago.

A recent redditt post suggests that those units have been discontinued and they have no plans to replace it with anything similar...

Last edited:
Back