• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duallie rendering nodes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tecton3d

Registered
I'm an architecture student looking to build a small renderfarm/cluster for rendering with 3d Studio Max. I currently have a Boxx dual Opteron 248 workstation and absolutely love the performance I get with this rig, but the cost of dual opterons and thier mobo's is what's keeping me from being able to build a similar system and add more ghz to my workflow. Obviously, forced to look elsewhere for my rendering muscle, I have been recommended:

overclocking a dual 603 pin xeon(lv) 1.5-2.0ghz
asus pc-cl (I hear it overclocks better than others)

oc'd dual athlon mp's
mobo?

Basically which config. would overclock and serve my purpose better? I'd like to keep the cost of each node to about $500 (my total budget is $2000) and build around 4 of them yet have a stable system (have my cake and eat it too)! Each node will have 1gb ram for swap, minimal hd (enough to install an os and necessary software), cdrw, and a case large enough to ventilate + filter such a beast. Also, what is a reliable powersupply since these systems will be overclocked?

Thanks for all the help and advice I really need and appreciate it!

If you can find four PC-DLs and eight 1.6LV D1 Xeons that is the way to go. Figure the cost as:

Used/Refurb Asus PC-DL - $150
2 x 1.6LV D1 604 Xeons - $125
2 x Intel Retail HS/Fans - $25
2 x 512MB Corsair Value Select PC3200 - $75
Regular ATX Case - $35
AMS Mercury 460W EPS12V PS - $65
80GB HD - $50
CDRW - $25
Any PCI video card - $15

Comes to about $560 per node. If you can find a few free cases or get a deal on used CDRWs andPCI Video cards you might get it down close to $500. My PC-DL parts cost pretty much what I listed except I got the PC-DL for $135 shipped on eBay. Check the For Sale forum at 2CPU for good deals on Xeon parts.

Why not a dual-core cpus ? I mean desktop dual-core cpu, that will give you better performance for better price plus they will overclock better.

Edited: The Xeon that DaveB recomended are best deal for that price. Go for that.

Yeah dual core X2s are great, just not within his budget.

Unfortunately tecton3d you just missed a guy selling two PC-DL 1.6LV Xeon combos. They could have been had for $240 and $210 each just a couple of days ago.

thanks for the replies:)

that stinks! Bummer!

I thought about an athlon X2-3800 system but have tried and can't put something together for the same price/performance as the xeons.

Hehe.. Hey its you again ;- ]

Yeah.. DaveB pretty much listed the exact same setup as I did on 2cpu.. and he knows what hes talking about ;- ]

It's either between the dually route (which the OC'd LV's and PC-DL are the best) or maybe working cheap dual cores.

That route is still do-able..

Some socket 939 mobo - say $100
Opteron 165 / X2 3800 - $350
PS - $50
Ram $75
HD...

So it'll probably be around $150 per node more. BUT.. with some luck, you can reach 2.6ghz on the dual core processor.. Which will probably perform better than the xeons.. but it costs.. and then you dont get the fun of a true dually farm ;- ]

yeah it's me... i've been littering forums with my noob questions but am stoked about the idea of building and oc'ing my first system. Just trying to get as many opinions as I can before I invest the time and $$ ... thanks for your help!!

is that 2.6ghz per core = somewhere around 5.2ghz!! yum:) You're right though, no duallie :cry:

tecton3d said:
yeah it's me... i've been littering forums with my noob questions but am stoked about the idea of building and oc'ing my first system. Just trying to get as many opinions as I can before I invest the time and $$ ... thanks for your help!!

is that 2.6ghz per core = somewhere around 5.2ghz!! yum:) You're right though, no duallie :cry:

Yeah you should be able to reach around at least 2.4 per core.. Which is definatly nice.. and AMD is definatly nice too :- ] Only thing is, its a bit more pricy...

I'd say its either the LV xeons or the X2 / Opteron Single Chip Dual Core :- ]

-maddog- said:
You could take a bunch of pc's and mac's and hook them together on gigabit.

Thats his plan ;- ]

One other thing to look into - There are programs that let you set up a cluster of computers to work together.. check out things like clusterknoppix, or mosix (openmosix)? something like that.. I believe these programs will let youactually build a cluster of computers all working together either distributing or being distributed work..

Some of them can be diskless working on network boot or something.. IF you are up for a challenge, you could probably save a few bucks by making one computer the head (either your boxx or just give one of the computers in the farm a hd) and have all of the others boot up off of that one. I'd definatly be cool.. definatly harder I bet.. but definatly cool ;- ]

All that cluster stuff sounds good, but the software (3d studio max 8 + Final Render stg1I) I'll be using for rendering already has a way to distribute the rendering jobs. I've thought about dedicating one machine to "tend" the flock so I could have my boxx dedicated to modeling with the ability to add its procs to the fray should the need arise. Is there anything special that head computer needs to be the boot computer (enough hd to install the os?)... I'm totally in the dark here with this network config stuff!

About keeping the procs cool... would the stock intel stuff work or should I start thinking aftermarket? I know this depends primarily on how much I oc them (to within an inch of thier life :bang head ) and how far from stock temps they'll get, but I don't want to fry anything!

Also, would just about any case work for my cooling needs? I'd like to keep the stuff dust free (naturally) but get a case thats got enough flow. Hear of anything suitable? I like Lian Li but thier stuff is just way outta my range for this prjct.

I'm shopping for the 1.6lv xeons... how do I tell if they are the lv type (if not labeled so)?!

Last edited:
they'll be called 1.6LV xeons...you want one with a "D" stepping though...C steppings will "only" goto 2.8-3.2 on average, the D's hit 3.2+ VERY consistantly.

I wouldn't rule out the X2 either, you can get mobos for 50 bucks for S939...probably only 100 more after it's all said + done. And I'm not sure on your specific program, but I would imagine X2's at 2.2 would probably par 3.2 xeons.

thanks ~

Are you talking about oc'ing the x2 to 2.2ghz per core? It still comes up less (total ghz) per processor than an oc'd xeon @ 3.0-3.2ghz. What does the x2 max out at? The added ease of the x2 system build is looking pretty good right now. I can't find the xeons anywhere!

Over at 2cpu.com forum there is a guy selling 1.6lv xeons, at least last I heard. For like £ 83 (UK) so it's like ~146 USD for a pair shipped internationally. He is testing them to boot at 200fsb on stock or relatively low voltage.

Just checked over there and he just bumped the thread yesterday with more still for sale, not sure how many. 200fsb @ 1.35v.

ajrettke said:
they'll be called 1.6LV xeons...you want one with a "D" stepping though...C steppings will "only" goto 2.8-3.2 on average, the D's hit 3.2+ VERY consistantly.

Those numbers seem quite generous, and ones that most people only hoped for. I think your giving them a little more credit then they should get. Especially if you're going to be doing important work you want these suckers solid so I would take the lower to mid estimates and if you get more great.

C1's were lucky to get to 2.8 (2.5-2.7 average)
D1's were good ones to get 3.2+ (3.0-3.2 average)

My D1's only made it to ~2850 prime stable, which is on the low side.

techon3d said:
I'm shopping for the 1.6lv xeons... how do I tell if they are the lv type (if not labeled so)?!
D1 stepping SL6XK
C1 stepping SL6GV

tecton3d said:
About keeping the procs cool... would the stock intel stuff work or should I start thinking aftermarket? I know this depends primarily on how much I oc them (to within an inch of thier life :bang head ) and how far from stock temps they'll get, but I don't want to fry anything!

Many people ran stock Intel windtunnels no prob, just grab a fan adapter (60mm to 80mm) and some 80mm fans and you're set.

thanks! I actually just came across that thread and am trying to get in contact with the seller! How far are these overclocked? Is there a reference for all the nomenclature used to describe how much something is overclocked? Do you just compare the stock #'s with the #'s after the oc and the greater the diff the more it's oc'd right... it looks like I have some reading to do!

tecton3d said:
thanks! I actually just came across that thread and am trying to get in contact with the seller! How far are these overclocked? Is there a reference for all the nomenclature used to describe how much something is overclocked? Do you just compare the stock #'s with the #'s after the oc and the greater the diff the more it's oc'd right... it looks like I have some reading to do!

Not sure exactly what you asking.

The numbers I gave were Ghz and the normal overclocks reached, as in each CPU speeds.

When you get them they won't be overclocked, that's something you have to do through bios setting, board jumper positions, and the occasional socket wire trick.

Socket wire trick to get CPU voltage to desired amount (boards lack VCORE option in bios so you do it manually with this mod) (very simple)

Jumper to set your baseline FSB 100,133,166,200

Bios to adjust you FSB upwards from there 1 FSB increments, to adjust your multi, ram timings, and other things.

Did you look over this sticky (link below) yet? If not, that'll answer a lot of questions pertaining to dual LV Xeon overclocking.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=363017

Yeah that link will definatly explain some of the specific steps to getting just what you want.

2.8 is definatly on the high end for C1's, and the low end for D1's. I used the example of 3ghz cause its very expectable.

Basically, you will want to put 3 wires into each socket (connecting a few pins logically to set the voltage higher), install windows at stock speed (just to be sure ;- ]) Then do the "moosemod" where you swap around the jumpers between reboots and hop on up to 200fsb.. probably just leave the multi at 15, test for stability and be happy.

You should be able to find somewhere to pick up a handfull of the stock intel heatsinks. (Ebay) They should be fine - they were for me. Stop by sidewindercomputers.com and pick up some panaflow 80mm (either ultra quiet or medium.. depending on what you figure your sound / temperature needs will be) fans. Swing by Compusa and get some 60-80mm converters. A little hotglue and bolts and you have some nice quiet heatsinks. A few more quiet panaflow 120's for the cases, and you should be decent.

Case wise, its up to you. I'd get something cheap, myself.. DEFINATLY not Lian-Li. What you will probably want to do is get something that looks very plain and simple.. nothing stupid or gaudy.. cause you will have a bunch of em. You'll probably want to cut a few holes in the side panels for a little more ventilation.. so you can have intake air right into the processors.. But with proper OTHER fan placement, you could probably avoid it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129152

Thats what I used. It works. But I also wanted a slightly nicer case for modding. You could definatly do cheaper than that.

Or, you could look into some rack cases.. It'd be more expensive, and you'd have to buy a rack, but then once they were all assembled you could put em in your rack and have your spiffy little supercomputer cluster all in one piece : - ] A few 4u cases (same size as a normal case) and a rack will add some dollars to the project, but hey.. it'll be nifty.

Hey all ~ is there a pc3200 ram out there that has been successfully and stabily run at 200fsb without the vdimm mod on the pc-dl? All things considered, it makes sense to not go modifying stuff unless absolutely necessary and if I can get away withouth having to cut into a 175$ board I'd rest a little easier. I would definitely pay more for ram that could do this so that's not a factor at this point

Thanks! !

Last edited:
Back