• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a new gaming PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm sorry you're having trouble with your case. My must recent build from a couple years ago now I used the popular Lian li dynamic xl. Gave me enough room and options for my aio coolers and such and 140mm fans in most locations. At least worth adding to the list to research

Yeah, I'm not a lucky person so I don't know if I'll ever win this one. It was so easy back in 2015. I noticed by motherboard has a rev 1.0 and a rev 1.x... My mobo has "rev 1.0" on it. Anyone know what the differences are?

@xZippy I feel your pain with the case. I have this habit of using old cases for servers and such and since I cheapped out when I got some of my cases, they do not age well. I also bought a USB3 device where they didn't QC the plastic injection molding and the pin holes are covered over. Busted a perfectly good MB trying to fit it.

Building a new machine is always fun and exciting for me. Setting a budget and trying to future proof as much as possible. Love it. I hope you're happy with your build when complete.

@xZippy I feel your pain with the case. I have this habit of using old cases for servers and such and since I cheapped out when I got some of my cases, they do not age well. I also bought a USB3 device where they didn't QC the plastic injection molding and the pin holes are covered over. Busted a perfectly good MB trying to fit it.
There's a possible compromise. You know the one screw that holds the mobo in place? I mean, I could just remove that and have the mobo "free" so I can shift and rotate it any way I want so there's no struggle getting the wires in. This includes the obnoxious USB3 header. No matter what I do, it usually blocks where the bottom case fan should be. I could also rush order some of those 90 degree USB3 adapter things, but I'm veeeeeeeerry sick of ordering stuff and waiting the next day for everything one by one. I just want this thing done and built.

Again, anyone know what the rev 1.0/1.x differences are on my mobo?

Your idea of buying a new case is correct.

You're fighting not enough room for cables, not enough room for fans and GPU and you'll be fighting heat.

The universe is trying to tell you something...

My PSU came in. The only thing I'm waiting on is my SDD. I didn't plug everything in, but just enough to test if the mobo worked. Flipping the PSU on made lights turn on in sequence, one of them being my CPU fan light, which looked nice for the 0.2 seconds it was on.

Will the Corsair 4000D be enough space for my massive freaking brick of a 6800XT and the heat it will cause?

Will the Corsair 4000D be enough space for my massive freaking brick of a 6800XT and the heat it will cause?
It's name literally has airflow in it... you'll be fine.

That case fits up to 360mm video cards (see specs page)... I think yours is smaller than that?

It's name literally has airflow in it... you'll be fine.
The airflow is not the sole issue, it's also the USB3 reach thing. I'm assuming I can use my Gen4 M.2 SSD in the Gen5 slot my motherboard has? Also, these gaming cases that have extra fans pre-installed and whatnot, do they share one SYS_FAN wire or are they separated?

The airflow is not the sole issue, it's also the USB3 reach thing.
Different concern, yeah. It has plenty of airflow though for your hardware.

I'm assuming I can use my Gen4 M.2 SSD in the Gen5 slot my motherboard has?
Yep... or in the other G4 slots... your choice.

Also, these gaming cases that have extra fans pre-installed and whatnot, do they share one SYS_FAN wire or are they separated?
Varies. Some will have 3 to 1s, others not. Unsure on this chassis. You can also buy X to 1 cables if you want to use 1 header. Just make sure you don't surpass it's output (find in manual for mobo, fan output listed on its hub)

Varies. Some will have 3 to 1s, others not. Unsure on this chassis. You can also buy X to 1 cables if you want to use 1 header. Just make sure you don't surpass it's output (find in manual for mobo, fan output listed on its hub)
Don't know if this matters or not, but the online manual for the mobo says it supports "DDR5 5200/4800/4400 MT/s memory modules". And I have GDDR5 6000 (https://www.newegg.com/team-32gb-288-pin-ddr5-sdram/p/N82E16820331748?Item=N82E16820331748) is that still fine?

Last edited:
Yes.

To run DDR5-6000, it is considered overclocking on that platform. The manual lists up to the max speed of the platform. But if you notice on the specifications page, it lists up to DDR5-6600. DDR5-6000 is the sweetspot.

Back