• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Ripping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th0r

Ok i have the Metallica Cunning Stungs DVD and the performace of the concert is excellent, the music is top notch:D

My question is, how would it be possible for me to Rip the audio and put them into tracks in MP3 format???? Any software what will help me do that please???

Thankyou, this will be for private use only, its so i can listen to it while walking around with my CD walkman...!

SORRY FOR POSTING IN THE WRONG SESSION BEFORE!!!!

assemblage said:
Sorry you can't do that. It would be against the copyright laws and most likely Mettalica's EULA.
Hes right.
Section 1201 of the DMCA clearly states that "No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected."
DVD's are encrypted, bypassing that is a No-No

Eventhough the DMCA throws fair use out the window it is still a law ;)

Yes.. BUT. the companies will allow you to make a backup copy of your purchased music. Well, they technically wont sue you for making a backup copy of a purchased cd.. so I guess its technically illegal.. but they wont sue ya :)

Chaospoet said:
Yes.. BUT. the companies will allow you to make a backup copy of your purchased music. Well, they technically wont sue you for making a backup copy of a purchased cd.. so I guess its technically illegal.. but they wont sue ya :)
Yes but music CD's dont have serious encryption/scrambling methods for copy protection. So you dont violate the DMCA by making a backup copy of them.

BigRed said:

Yes but music CD's dont have serious encryption/scrambling methods for copy protection. So you dont violate the DMCA by making a backup copy of them.
Wooh, hold on now, are you saying if any DVD, CD, or what not has encryption and or scrambling you can't make a leagle copy?

But this is person use only... nothing more or less.... Even Microsoft in there EULA states that you can make 1 BACK UP CD of that Microsoft product.... Aslong i don't sell it to anyone etc....

But the DMCA says it's a no-no. Trust me, I've done enough looking around to know that DeCSS (which is used to decrypt DVDs) is illegal in the states.

"No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected."
Something I've always wondered... Worded the way it is, wouldn't law enforcement loose all it's powers to decrypt an encrypted hard drive (even one chaulk full of evidence)?

JigPu

While I dont condone illegal acts I do believe that once you purchase the software you own it. If you wish to copy it and make a backup it is your responsibility to do so in a manner that does not violate the EULA. That said.. as long as you do not SELL for a profit the item then there should not be a huge problem.

jimstandard said:
since when did everyone care about being legal???
Since when? Since we clicked the 'Agree' button to use this site.

Overclockers Forums Rules :

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please press the Agree button at the end of the page. Note: By pressing the button you declare that you are over the age of 13. If you are 13 or under, please use this registration form.

Although the administrators and moderators of Overclockers Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Overclockers Forums or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Check it out here.

JigPu

Excelsior said:
But this is person use only... nothing more or less.... Even Microsoft in there EULA states that you can make 1 BACK UP CD of that Microsoft product.... Aslong i don't sell it to anyone etc....
Take a read again. The last microsoft products I installed for the past 2 years Said do not make copies of this disk for any purpose...
Chaospoet said:
While I dont condone illegal acts I do believe that once you purchase the software you own it. If you wish to copy it and make a backup it is your responsibility to do so in a manner that does not violate the EULA. That said.. as long as you do not SELL for a profit the item then there should not be a huge problem.
Have you ever read the fine print? You *DIDNT* purchase the software. You purchased a Licence to use the program. Games/software released after the DMCA took effect (late 99 or 2000 I beleive, cant remember) now say in their fine print that You can not make ANY copies of the disk for ANY PURPOSE. Companies however do offer a disk replacement program thing so your software Licence is preserved.

Making a copy of an encrypted/copy protected digital media for any purpose is a Crime under the DMCA.

Look up section previously noted in the DMCA for clarification/proof.

JigPu said:
Something I've always wondered... Worded the way it is, wouldn't law enforcement loose all it's powers to decrypt an encrypted hard drive (even one chaulk full of evidence)?

Yeah that is a very interesting point. Would be interesting to see a court case on that one. But dont you guys in the USA have other laws that say, "if we want to get ya we will no matter what" the anti terrorsit BS?

LOL! And Microsoft themselves told me to copy the disk to a drive for slipstreaming! :D When will people ever stop contradictiong themselves :rolleyes: :p

Yeah, the DMCA is totaly American. You guys might have an equivlent, but I haven't heard of anybody else actually going through with it quite yet. There's been talk, but I don't think action...

JigPu

Thought so..... Because at the beginning of the DVD... Its says u cannot broadcast , sell, use it in public etc.... only allowed for personal use... And thats what i am trying to do... only use it for personal use no more... no less..

Back