• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eheim or swiftech???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm also debating between the two for my new setup.

Can you guys elaborate on why you favor one over the other?

Thanks..

DP

It depends on your needs. If you're only running one relatively nonrestrictive block and are looking for a compact pump, then the MCP600 would be a better bet. If you actually need the head, though, for couple of blocks and/or a WW for example, you'd be best off with the Eheim. Both are top notch quality from everything I've heard, and you probably can't go wrong with either.

I have an Eheim 1250 and it is great. The only noise it puts out is the result of the vibrations it creates. I've heard people say thet the swiftech make s a noticable amount of noise. Silence is imporant to me, so the Eheim seems to be a better bet in this respect.

the swiftech is a good pump because it runs on 12v, not because it was a great pump to begin with

just think about this:

if the swiftech mcp600 was 110/220v, would anyone then *seriously* consider the thing?

and again, if the eheim was 12v, then it would be THE PUMP TO HAVE right?

minus the price of course

what components are you going to be using the pump with? The 1260 is humongous and has very large fittings. If you are going to use 3/4 inch hose, I'd go 3/4 inch to a Y, reduce to 1/2 inch for the waterblocks (run in parallel) back to the 3/4 inch Y and into a res. the 1260 has a 1 inch inlet, so you're going to need something deep or else the suction will just suck air into the system.

you guys are looking at it all wrong

look at the PQ curves for each pump

http://www.procooling.com/articles/assets/images/ph-pc-flowcurve.gif

The swiftech pump excels in high pressure drop situations, not only because it has a closed impeller design to allow for more flow at high head, but also because of its low heat output, so when under stress, it will not put as much heat into the water as an eheim would

also, it runs off your power supply
I would certainly get it

but it is said to vibrate much more than the eheim, and maybe even make more noise
and reliabilty isn't as well known as eheim's

make sure you get the rev.2 as well, they had difficulties with the first ones

when factoring in those things, it's still a tough call to make

I have a MAG3 I purchased from an aquarium/pet fish supply etailer and I'm very pleased with it. The only complaint I have about it was that the threads on the outlet are made poorly. I had to clean them up with an razor blade in order to get a barb connector screwed on. Had to use teflon tape on the threads too.

snowwie said:
you guys are looking at it all wrong

look at the PQ curves for each pump

Exactly.

With blocks like White Water, RBX, or Cascade, the heat added to the water by the pump will most likely swamp any small gain in WB cooling efficiency that the Eheim 1260 provides.

Snowwie: Your graph thing didn't have the Eheim 1260, which this guy is considering. That makes the whole thing useless, as I know what the MCP600's looks like. I haven't seen the Eheim's...

AngryAlpaca said:
Snowwie: Your graph thing didn't have the Eheim 1260, which this guy is considering. That makes the whole thing useless, as I know what the MCP600's looks like. I haven't seen the Eheim's...

Hmm. Seems to me that graph is only useless to someone too lazy to fill in the 1260 curve.

You're using three waterblocks, a Cascade, a Z-chip, and a Maze-3 GPU, in series, and you want to kick ***.

still, unless you are doing sub-ambient and/or a bong and/or a loop that exits outside a case, there is no need for a 1260. A simple heatercore>cpu>nb>gpu loop that is confined to the inside of a tower case does not need a 1260. Many people run loops like that (and much more restrictive) with 1048's and even 1046's (I'm thinking of european watercooling examples).

Of those two, I would suggest the swifty, but maybe think of looking into a 1250

But maybe my advise is worth ****, and with an effective heat exchanger (wold take more than a d-tek procore and an 80cfm fan) a 1260 would give lower temp levels than with a 1250, but I doubt it, and certainly not enough to offset the cost, noise, and size of the thing.

Back