• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BOOT_DEVICE_LED on Asus P8Z77 VPRO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Strix is their midrange line... I wouldnt write off a brand's entire midrange lineup because you got a bad board tho. Stuff happens... allow some (read: any) grace! :)

Anyway, try an older bios... but not sure if it will work. I just think it's on its way out. :(
Tried the original 906 BIOS that shipped with the board, no joy. The CPU led came on after the flash, but went away with a reboot. Still got the boot device led on though...

Hi guys,

Been a while! I'm having an issue with here old board - I was going to use it for a portable PC project, but now I will not POST. Only gets stuck at the boot_device_led light.

No amount of changing around RAM slots, trying the MemOK! button or anything seems to work. I've tried reseating the CPU, all pins are clean an none are bent.
Tried with and without the GPU (Zotac 1060)

I tried the BIOS flashback without a USB inserted thinking it might rollback the settings but nothing changed.
Also reset the CMOS multiple times. CMOS battery is dead, I replaced it with a thinner 2025 instead of a 2032 (All i had on hand) but that didn't make a difference.

What's the next step here? BIOS Flashback maybe? (Side note, anyone have a LGA1155 board they are willing to part with if I can't get this one running?)
okey , have you put something new in it ? like gpu/ cpu/ anything ? have you hold power button for 10-15 sec AFTER EVERYPOWER CABLE AND PSU IS OFF? when u took out cmos bat? or u could burned the mobo or comps becuse you took out battery with power still in pc , and you need to have like " duracell or some trusthworthy 2032 battery not a cheap amazon/ ebay/ **** , take everything out with battery left all out 10-20 mins, if u have biios flashback usb , use it WITH USB and follow blinking to know when its done and rename bios files , try to use the oldest monitor connection " VGA / DVI / " IF u have a intregated GPU on cpu , try that first then your own GPU card, CHECK CPU PINS IF SOME IS FKED UP OR BROKEN, 1 little fking anoying cpu pin can make a whole system unstable becuse non of u dont know what that pins for it can be for RAM/ GPU/ CPU / south/north bridge and when it happens the pc dont know what error so it just blame " VGA led code " when it can be something else, it dont get connection to the whole system so random error will show up after a while, i had z77-gd65 mobo , MY ONLY WAY WAS to start pc when i had screw driver on jumper pins on mobo after i hit power button , both bios a/b was bricked, and cpu pins worlds most top 1 PC builder cant solve it if it pins who are broken too much, but why u have 8 GB ram ? minimum 16gb - 1600 mhz clocked , i have a INTEL GEN 1/2 cpu and ddr3 i know " BUY NEW IDIOT" yeah , but i only play dota2 and stable 120-140 hz/fps with just 90% optimize windows works , and minimum OC , but i BET I have faster startup from hit powerbutton to get inside windows than many of you all even if u have 10 -15 year newer pc system and PARTS ;D try that guys , but broo u need to test everything u can , i guess your gpu/ memory dont recongnize by system nd 99% sure that u once atleast before this have tried overclock memory and cpu / gpu
and dont think once it can be that who is " BOOT ERROR MESSAGE " , TURN OF ALL C-STATES / POWER SAVINGS SETTINGS, TURN OFF INTEL SPEEDSSTEP SIMLAR THINGS IN AMD, settings on. INSTEAD - OR IN FUTURE - USE " chris titus - WINUTIL " DEBLOAT + SPEEEDUP WINDOWS, "
USE THIS GUIDE FOR OPTIMZE DELUXE YOUR PC " fr33shy Windows Optimize guide for win10&11 " FOLLOW AND LISTEN TO 110 % " or u will fail,
MOST IMPORTANT FOR FPS / GAMING / INPUT LAGS/ slow/ IS OPTIMIZE WINDOWS WITHOUT - BOOSTER FANTASY programs , DISABLE WINDOWS DEFENDER " DELETE " U SHALL HAVE 60-70 MAX SERVICES WITH WINDOWS + YOUR OWN MOBO DRIVERS / gpu / lan / ssd / drivers and serivice ,/ USE ALL CPU CORES ON 100% 24/7 / IN the fr33shy guide u get a power performance scheme from BITSUM , USE IT, and IN MSCONFIG - advanced - STARTUP in a box u find numbers of all your threads/CORES click on highest number - apply - ok, IF U HAVE 8 GB RAM GO to store buy 1 more exactly same ram or 2 new minimum 8x2 gb ram or 4x4 gb ram / VOTE FOR KINGston hyperX minimum 1600 mhz , or gskill / vengance ram , your SSD drive dont even work normal with windows power scheme and power saving settings on intel/ amd cpus , its made for go fast, TRIM SSD, DOWNLOAD ALL DRIVERS FOR MOBO / CHIPSET/ LAN / WIFI/ GPU / EVERYTHING BY U SELF , SATA DRIVERS, if u have intel or "msi / gigabyte / asus SATA OWN PORTS , ALWAYS USE INTEL SATA DRIVERS AND PORTS , ON YOUR "C:\ drive INSTALL ONLY COMPLETE CLEAN WINDOWS WITH USB , AND WITHOUT INTERNET ONLY USE LOCAL ACCOUNTS ONLY INSTALL DRIVERS AND GAMES / SYSTEM , ON THE OTHER ONE U HAVE AS STORAGE DRIVE, ANTIVURS ONLY ESET INTERNET SECURITY / SMART , ALL OTHER IS CRAP AND SLOW AS FK; and worst thing is THEY HAVE VPN HAHHAHAHAHA, FOR WHAT, your info get leaked like facebook with those and just slow down, WIn defender just destroy your pc , windows update ONLY ONLY SECURITY UPDATES REST OF UPDATES POST for a few month/years , disable all services u dont use or system need for that u doing , IF u have " 120-140" HZ / FPS MONITOR , DONT HAVE FPS IN GAMES OVER YOUR MONITORS OWN MAXIMUM HZ on that resolution you have , becuse u will get input lags, and fake fps;D . when someone even with 15 year later pc system then me start pc and logged in to windows and all startup done before 15 seconds just call me ;D then i can tell u that you are deserve to have a pc for 1500$$ , just for saying im on socked 1156 - intel 860 i7 3.1ghz + )- ddr3 kingston HyperX (DUAL-CONFIG)1333mhz OC(1600-1650)mhz / radeon 480rx GPU from Asus , with 580 firmwere / drivers , UNCLOCKED , JUST HIGHEST BITSUM POWER Scheme , and ALL POWER SAVINGS OFF. 100% OF CPU ON ALL CORES/THREADS SAME EVERY SECOND, network adapter (configed) to maximum all network speed for game and system , kingston ssd 480, with all my configs and tweak/ optimize it work like a USB drive in my old system it is a drive but mobo/windows think its usb simlar drive, my ram settings in bios " not UEFI " iS IN xmp profile with " extreme mode " on a ram setting, " combo with power scheme , your problem is that u neeed to try all step with simlar errors , and look into their solotion / guides to fix yours but first reset cmos battery / ram / dont maximum overclock ram or cpu , / reseat cmos battery and pc parts , before connect cables into mobo and psu - find a screwdriver hold it on cmos jumpers both when battery is in place for 10-15 sec, or if u have cmos button hold it , without power or your pc burns, now if u get screen, goto bios RESET IT DEFAULT AND REINSTALL PC AND START FOLLOW GUIDES

okey , have you put something new in it ? like gpu/ cpu/ anything ? have you hold power button for 10-15 sec AFTER EVERYPOWER CABLE AND PSU IS OFF? when u took out cmos bat? or u could burned the mobo or comps becuse you took out battery with power still in pc , and you need to have like " duracell or some trusthworthy 2032 battery not a cheap amazon/ ebay/ **** , take everything out with battery left all out 10-20 mins, if u have biios flashback usb , use it WITH USB and follow blinking to know when its done and rename bios files , try to use the oldest monitor connection " VGA / DVI / " IF u have a intregated GPU on cpu , try that first then your own GPU card, CHECK CPU PINS IF SOME IS FKED UP OR BROKEN, 1 little fking anoying cpu pin can make a whole system unstable becuse non of u dont know what that pins for it can be for RAM/ GPU/ CPU / south/north bridge and when it happens the pc dont know what error so it just blame " VGA led code " when it can be something else, it dont get connection to the whole system so random error will show up after a while, i had z77-gd65 mobo , MY ONLY WAY WAS to start pc when i had screw driver on jumper pins on mobo after i hit power button , both bios a/b was bricked, and cpu pins worlds most top 1 PC builder cant solve it if it pins who are broken too much, but why u have 8 GB ram ? minimum 16gb - 1600 mhz clocked , i have a INTEL GEN 1/2 cpu and ddr3 i know " BUY NEW IDIOT" yeah , but i only play dota2 and stable 120-140 hz/fps with just 90% optimize windows works , and minimum OC , but i BET I have faster startup from hit powerbutton to get inside windows than many of you all even if u have 10 -15 year newer pc system and PARTS ;D try that guys , but broo u need to test everything u can , i guess your gpu/ memory dont recongnize by system nd 99% sure that u once atleast before this have tried overclock memory and cpu / gpu
and dont think once it can be that who is " BOOT ERROR MESSAGE " , TURN OF ALL C-STATES / POWER SAVINGS SETTINGS, TURN OFF INTEL SPEEDSSTEP SIMLAR THINGS IN AMD, settings on. INSTEAD - OR IN FUTURE - USE " chris titus - WINUTIL " DEBLOAT + SPEEEDUP WINDOWS, "
USE THIS GUIDE FOR OPTIMZE DELUXE YOUR PC " fr33shy Windows Optimize guide for win10&11 " FOLLOW AND LISTEN TO 110 % " or u will fail,
MOST IMPORTANT FOR FPS / GAMING / INPUT LAGS/ slow/ IS OPTIMIZE WINDOWS WITHOUT - BOOSTER FANTASY programs , DISABLE WINDOWS DEFENDER " DELETE " U SHALL HAVE 60-70 MAX SERVICES WITH WINDOWS + YOUR OWN MOBO DRIVERS / gpu / lan / ssd / drivers and serivice ,/ USE ALL CPU CORES ON 100% 24/7 / IN the fr33shy guide u get a power performance scheme from BITSUM , USE IT, and IN MSCONFIG - advanced - STARTUP in a box u find numbers of all your threads/CORES click on highest number - apply - ok, IF U HAVE 8 GB RAM GO to store buy 1 more exactly same ram or 2 new minimum 8x2 gb ram or 4x4 gb ram / VOTE FOR KINGston hyperX minimum 1600 mhz , or gskill / vengance ram , your SSD drive dont even work normal with windows power scheme and power saving settings on intel/ amd cpus , its made for go fast, TRIM SSD, DOWNLOAD ALL DRIVERS FOR MOBO / CHIPSET/ LAN / WIFI/ GPU / EVERYTHING BY U SELF , SATA DRIVERS, if u have intel or "msi / gigabyte / asus SATA OWN PORTS , ALWAYS USE INTEL SATA DRIVERS AND PORTS , ON YOUR "C:\ drive INSTALL ONLY COMPLETE CLEAN WINDOWS WITH USB , AND WITHOUT INTERNET ONLY USE LOCAL ACCOUNTS ONLY INSTALL DRIVERS AND GAMES / SYSTEM , ON THE OTHER ONE U HAVE AS STORAGE DRIVE, ANTIVURS ONLY ESET INTERNET SECURITY / SMART , ALL OTHER IS CRAP AND SLOW AS FK; and worst thing is THEY HAVE VPN HAHHAHAHAHA, FOR WHAT, your info get leaked like facebook with those and just slow down, WIn defender just destroy your pc , windows update ONLY ONLY SECURITY UPDATES REST OF UPDATES POST for a few month/years , disable all services u dont use or system need for that u doing , IF u have " 120-140" HZ / FPS MONITOR , DONT HAVE FPS IN GAMES OVER YOUR MONITORS OWN MAXIMUM HZ on that resolution you have , becuse u will get input lags, and fake fps;D . when someone even with 15 year later pc system then me start pc and logged in to windows and all startup done before 15 seconds just call me ;D then i can tell u that you are deserve to have a pc for 1500$$ , just for saying im on socked 1156 - intel 860 i7 3.1ghz + )- ddr3 kingston HyperX (DUAL-CONFIG)1333mhz OC(1600-1650)mhz / radeon 480rx GPU from Asus , with 580 firmwere / drivers , UNCLOCKED , JUST HIGHEST BITSUM POWER Scheme , and ALL POWER SAVINGS OFF. 100% OF CPU ON ALL CORES/THREADS SAME EVERY SECOND, network adapter (configed) to maximum all network speed for game and system , kingston ssd 480, with all my configs and tweak/ optimize it work like a USB drive in my old system it is a drive but mobo/windows think its usb simlar drive, my ram settings in bios " not UEFI " iS IN xmp profile with " extreme mode " on a ram setting, " combo with power scheme , your problem is that u neeed to try all step with simlar errors , and look into their solotion / guides to fix yours but first reset cmos battery / ram / dont maximum overclock ram or cpu , / reseat cmos battery and pc parts , before connect cables into mobo and psu - find a screwdriver hold it on cmos jumpers both when battery is in place for 10-15 sec, or if u have cmos button hold it , without power or your pc burns, now if u get screen, goto bios RESET IT DEFAULT AND REINSTALL PC AND START FOLLOW GUIDES
Hi!

Little hard to read all that text but hergoes:

Tried to hold the power button for 10-15sec? No, haven't tried that.

I did boot without a CMOS battery, made no difference.

Tried using ASUS usb Flashback, but that didn't do much for me.

I have tried to boot with and without a GPU card. (The GTX 970 does work)

I don't have any other DDR3 ram on hand to test with, but regardless of one stick or two stick or any slot, it doesnt make a difference - still will not POST. The mobo DOES complain if there is no RAM though, so it is looking for RAM at least.

CPU pins - I check all the pins and checked the back of the CPU to make sure all the pads were clean and they were so I don't think it's that.

You kinda lost me afterwords, like your thought's got a bit jumbled for me to understand. I do know of a clean Windows installation, but right now the issue is the board will not POST - can't even get into the BIOS.

Must some kind of weird degradation going on maybe with certain batches of the chipsets on these boards? I am certain that we are not the only ones to experience this.. Or maybe it is ROHS rearing its face.. meaning the lack of lead in the solder.. but I am just talking out of my butt now.

Must some kind of weird degradation going on maybe with certain batches of the chipsets on these boards? I am certain that we are not the only ones to experience this.. Or maybe it is ROHS rearing its face.. meaning the lack of lead in the solder.. but I am just talking out of my butt now.
Tin whiskers again? I never liked lead-free solder anyway.

Honestly I'm thinking the Northbridge (southbridge maybe?) that controls the SATA ports is fried.
If I don't plug in the CPU power connector, the CPU LED comes on. If I don't have any RAM installed, the DRAM LED comes on, which makes me think the board is okay and it understands that the CPU is there and the RAM is there, but every time it looks for a drive it gets nothing. If it was a bad BIOS then I would think it wouldn't light up if I remove the RAM or unplug the CPU power cables, I would think it would just sit there and do nothing.

Don't assume. Flashing the bios is free and easy... why not try?

That said, I subscribe to your thinking the southbridge may be going bad as well. It's an ancient board so I wouldn't be surprised.
I tried a few flashes actually, the original version BIOS that came on the board and the lastest one. no joy really.

Last thing to try is a different PSU, but IIRC, last time i used it, I heard a POP then it shut off. I put it back in the box and havent used it since.:censored:

Hi!

Little hard to read all that text but hergoes:

Tried to hold the power button for 10-15sec? No, haven't tried that.

I did boot without a CMOS battery, made no difference.

Tried using ASUS usb Flashback, but that didn't do much for me.

I have tried to boot with and without a GPU card. (The GTX 970 does work)

I don't have any other DDR3 ram on hand to test with, but regardless of one stick or two stick or any slot, it doesnt make a difference - still will not POST. The mobo DOES complain if there is no RAM though, so it is looking for RAM at least.

CPU pins - I check all the pins and checked the back of the CPU to make sure all the pads were clean and they were so I don't think it's that.

You kinda lost me afterwords, like your thought's got a bit jumbled for me to understand. I do know of a clean Windows installation, but right now the issue is the board will not POST - can't even get into the BIOS.
haha was too f***ed:p but bro i had same problem yesterday , + noo boot device after, but take RAM,gpu, cmos ,24pin power, cpu(12pin) after you have drain power out from psu/mobo , have all out for 2-5 hours maby , sometime its just old mobo+bugg:p it worked for me but didnt worked 20-30 min without cmos + memory:p . and why u shall hold power button 10-15 sec after power cables and stuff disconnected becuse its still power in mobo otherwise and one touch on cmos bat can **** your pc up:)

haha was too f***ed:p but bro i had same problem yesterday , + noo boot device after, but take RAM,gpu, cmos ,24pin power, cpu(12pin) after you have drain power out from psu/mobo , have all out for 2-5 hours maby , sometime its just old mobo+bugg:p it worked for me but didnt worked 20-30 min without cmos + memory:p . and why u shall hold power button 10-15 sec after power cables and stuff disconnected becuse its still power in mobo otherwise and one touch on cmos bat can **** your pc up:)
I'll give it a try, I also have another PSU here that may or may not be fried. Guess we will see.

Worst come to worst, I have my old Gigabyte Z77 UD4 mobo I can use. That one should work lol

Happy new year!

Hope everyone had a good Christmas as well!

Little update on this Asus board: IT LIVES!!

I was watching a YouTube shorts video from salemtechsperts about a weird error code on an MSI board, and it got me thinking about my Asus board. In the video is was some error about loading microcode. It turns out to be a bad CPU.

So I swapped in my old I5-2300 and lo and behold it boots to the BIOS!

So I reset it to default values and it still boots! I guess my i5-3570K is either bad or needs to be reseated. I'll test it out later, for now I'm happy because this board is awesome 😎

Back