• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BOOT_DEVICE_LED on Asus P8Z77 VPRO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Hi guys,

Been a while! I'm having an issue with here old board - I was going to use it for a portable PC project, but now I will not POST. Only gets stuck at the boot_device_led light.

No amount of changing around RAM slots, trying the MemOK! button or anything seems to work. I've tried reseating the CPU, all pins are clean an none are bent.
Tried with and without the GPU (Zotac 1060)

I tried the BIOS flashback without a USB inserted thinking it might rollback the settings but nothing changed.
Also reset the CMOS multiple times. CMOS battery is dead, I replaced it with a thinner 2025 instead of a 2032 (All i had on hand) but that didn't make a difference.

What's the next step here? BIOS Flashback maybe? (Side note, anyone have a LGA1155 board they are willing to part with if I can't get this one running?)

Well, the BOOT LED generally has to do with your storage.... the system is getting through POST, but hangs when trying to read the storage and boot from it.

Well, the BOOT LED generally has to do with your storage.... the system is getting through POST, but hangs when trying to read the storage and boot from it.
Hey E_D! Tried different SATA ports, different cables and tried the SSD and a spare metal spinner. Didn't make a difference..

I swear I had this board booting into the BIOS a few years ago, but it's been sitting under my desk since 2021. Maybe it's been bumped around too much and somethings mucked up now...

What kind of keyboard are you using while attempting to get to BIOS? Try using different USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports as well as a PS2 if you have one.

What kind of keyboard are you using while attempting to get to BIOS? Try using different USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports as well as a PS2 if you have one.
USB mechanical keyboard, I tried only the USB 2.0 ports...
try a live boot usb stick
I will try this when I get home, I tried my old macrium boot usb but it's possible it's been formated, I'm not entirely sure.

My P8Z77-V lost contact with all SATA ports.
Any solution to that?
You'll definitely want to try a proper cmos battery. I've seen somerthing weird with a 2032 that was slightly different size cause a no post on an Asus board.
Tried a fresh battery. No joy

Tried a fresh Win10 install USB, no joy no matter what port.

Tried to use the USB flashback button on the board, but no luck. The BIOS zip didn't come with this "BIOS renamed" program like ASUS's website says it should come with.

I know alot of the bios can be renamed without an application. Just confirm the extension
Yeah I just found some old Russian video on flashing this board, and he gave the list of file names.

It should be named Z77VP.cap

Did that and the USB flashback works, and after reboot the BOOT_DEVICE_LED goes off but nothing is displaying on screen.

If I reboot it again, the LED comes back on and no luck.

Wondering if the chipset or someth8jg on the board s just bunk at this point and not allowing comms with the sata ports...

Weird one.

I've seen that symptom of no bootable device.
No post that's common tho.
We're there any solutions you came across eagle?
Wondering if the chipset or someth8jg on the board s just bunk at this point and not allowing comms with the sata ports...

Weird one.

Yeah I'm pretty much at a loss here.
I ordered one of those "pc analyzer" doohickeys from Amazon 🤣🤣 Let see if it does anything anyways.

If the board is a loss that really sucks. It's such a nice high end board.

Worst case scenario my brother found my old GA-Z77-HD4 board in my closet, so I guess I can use this budget board in place of the V-Pro

I bought a Z77 OC Formula from here. I still have the board, no joy.
Rats :p

Tried that "pc analyzer" doohicky - throws code 64, then gets hung up at D7 with that boot device LED on.
Manual only does up to D6. "64" in the manual is "Jump to user patch 1" for Pheniox BIOSs.
"D6" in the manual talks about bad BIOS Checksums for AMI BIOS's only. Oddly enough it says if Ctrl+Home was not pressed or the checksum is bad it will move to checkpoint D7h....

Maybe I can try flashing an older BIOS with the USB Flashback method?

Rats :p

Tried that "pc analyzer" doohicky - throws code 64, then gets hung up at D7 with that boot device LED on.
Manual only does up to D6. "64" in the manual is "Jump to user patch 1" for Pheniox BIOSs.
"D6" in the manual talks about bad BIOS Checksums for AMI BIOS's only. Oddly enough it says if Ctrl+Home was not pressed or the checksum is bad it will move to checkpoint D7h....

Maybe I can try flashing an older BIOS with the USB Flashback method?
Flashing worked for me about 3-4 times, I was having a problem with the multiplier and core voltage control disappearing. That board was wicked until about a year or two after they started rolling out the mitigations. I bought a midrange AM4 board that was DOA, so midrange Asus is **** imo. But that OC Formula is still wicked, so I am not really sure what to say. Now that I am using my current board, I now think Strix is their midrange..

Strix is their midrange line... I wouldnt write off a brand's entire midrange lineup because you got a bad board tho. Stuff happens... allow some (read: any) grace! :)

Anyway, try an older bios... but not sure if it will work. I just think it's on its way out. :(

Back