• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enough Power for SLI 680's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rollergold

I'm Currently running an X58 based machine (See below for details) and I have a couple of questions
1. Does the PSU have enough power for GTX 680's in SLI even with the oced 920 and the PSU's age?
2. Would it still be enough if I were to then upgrade to LGA 2011 with an oced 3930k and 32 gigs of ram

System Specs:
PSU: Corsair HX850 (3 years old)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
CPU: Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.01ghz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
Memory: 12gb (3x4gb) of Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 Memory
GPU: EVGA geForce GTX 680 SC
HDD's: 4x 1TB WD Carviar Black's
Sound Card: SB Recon 3D PCIe
Fan Controller: Corsair Link Commander + Cooling Node
Case Lighting: Bitfenix 15 led light strip.

GTX680s are 200W stock each, both the 920 and 3930K are 130W at stock. That's about 600W stock for the entire thing. Overclocking might add 150W-200W, might cut it a bit close, but it'd probably be under 800. Depends how much of an OC on the GPU.

Ok Thanks for the advice and I do not plan on overlocking the gpu's beyond EVGA's minor factory overclock Kunfire.
Also final question: Is the idea that as a PSU ages its wattage output degrades as it ages, a fact? Or is it more myth then fact?.

Sort of.
The quality of the components and the actual internal temperature the components are exposed to matter.
For a quality power supply like yours it will deliver full power 24/7 at 50 degrees C.
One type of capacitor used inside uses fluid internally, if the brand cheaps out on the fluid quality they can dry out and/or bulge. Which is bad. Japanese capacitors generally do not, Taiwanese should not, Chinese go from acceptable (mostly) to "burn, baby burn"

Unless you are toasting the innards it should exceed the warranty period "in specification." Not that dust, or more often fan failure can't kill it. There may be some degradation of as new performance, say 2% becomes 3% ripple (specification is 5% on 12 volt ). You can check voltage with a decent Digital Multimeter if you like.
Ripple takes a very good ocilloscope. Load testers get expensive, plus you need to know how to use and read them.

jonnyguru http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/ is probably the best power supply learning or question site

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure Corsair has a 5 year warranty on their PSUs too, so it should be good for another few years at the minimum.

I'd be very surprised if it had degraded a meaningful amount at this point.

Ok Thank you for all the advice. Also Kunfire my HX 850 has a 7 year warranty by the way. :)

Back