• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ethernet has internet access, but I cannot connect.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

Hello, I am using an Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard. My Ethernet shows it has internet access, but nothing can connect. I ran diagnostics, but it told me that my configuration seems correct, but the DNS server is not responding. My laptop obviously is working fine. Over ethernet as well. IPV6 has no internet connection. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns and that sort.

So I assume you are using ipv4 and not ipv6? ipv6 still is not a mature technology.

Sounds like you may have a LAN driver issue with your motherboard. I would try picking up a cheap pci-e lan card if you can't find a better driver. Check not only for a driver with Asus but with the LAN chip mfg.

I am not sure about what our setup is here. I am currently living in a fraternity house on Missouri S&T campus. I have an external usb to ethernet adapter that also has the same issues.

Before I went and bought anything, I would at least try to reinstall drivers.. maybe something got corrupted?

Have you tried different browsers to make sure it isn't a browser issue (thinking Chrome here and may not have the date set properly).

When you flushed and such, did you pull an IP again? Have you reset the router?

EDIT:
I have an external usb to ethernet adapter that also has the same issues.

Are other people having this problem as well when they connecT?

I reinstalled drivers, nothing. I have not reset the router because again, im in a fraternity house. I have tried different browsers. And I did ipconfig /reset, flushdns, renew, release, etc

I reinstalled drivers, nothing. I have not reset the router because again, im in a fraternity house. I have tried different browsers. And I did ipconfig /reset, flushdns, renew, release, etc

what about changing the DNS server? probably not but it would be one thing to cross off the list. Also check in the Network and Sharing Center> Change Adapter Settings > make sure to disable all but the connection you are actively using. Ive had issues with connections fighting each other before

I figured it out. My dumb school policy keys were stopping me. Had to reverify them. I'll keep it in mind for next time. Didn't say anything till I went to my school website...

Back