• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Everybody read this ; last informal warning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i dont know. the argument that "anyone can read this website" is kinda flaky to say the least. if a two year old googles "certain" pictures, that means the parent should be monitoring the kid, not that google is doing a terrible thing. as for being innapropriate, i think that sometimes its enforced too strictly in some parts and not enough in others. when it goes into the grey and is more opinion than anything, i often see this forum fall into the "everyone else leans towards idea A, so idea B is innapropriate". whenever i posted a "innapropriate" thread i dont feel it is innapropriate. sometimes i cross the line without even realizing it i guess. heh most of the time it gets edited and i dont even know about it :p. i mean yes, this is for techies to discuss technology but when things get in the grey area (mainly the off topic section) i feel that the "innapropriate" tag gets placed where people just have differing opinions not an objection to the appropriateness. i get pushed in the situation where people dont want to speak up, but they agree with what i have to say. youre right that no one reads the stickies but not many people realize how this affects how we post. i guess i will prolly get flamed for being the punk that goes up against the guys that "work so hard to keep this place working" but i must give my honest opinion. it is a decent place to post but its far from perfect. "giving ultimatims is no way to manage a relationship" *quote from dr. ruth* :D
but i do understand your frustration on the flaming thing. name-calling is stupid and should be done away with.

bumpity bump bump bump

I think maybe changing the title of the thread, and changing it every week to something everyone will want to read. That way they don't know what's in it until they click on it. After opening the thread and seeing it's the same "boring" one time and again, maybe they'll get tired of seeing it and just read it. Then they'll think over what they're doing wrong.

The problem with using titles that are misleading to draw people into the thread is that once they realized that this thread wasn't really about whatever the draw title was they would just leave. Too bad you can't somehow make people read the stickies before they are allowed to post in a section :/
No one has posted in this for over a month, I suppose since it became a sticky :(

Well, a pop-up would be cool, but the idea around here is that the members are responsible for knowing the rules and having read the stickies. Accordingly, if somebody has broken the rules in a sticky, they're accountable whether they have read it or not.

That having been said, this thread was created during a particularly nasty time in this subforum. Flame wars and such were occurring much more than they should have, and it became necessary to provide a very bold warning and request for better practices by all. Lately, things, have been much better. So, there's really no need for such a pop-up window. But keeping this as a sticky provides a good reminder to look through from time to time. :)

Thanks! -- Paul

A pop up would be pointless in fact. My popup blocker prevents me from knowing when I have a new PM. Every time I log on, I have to look under my av to see if I have new messages.

Very good points. (And not to worry: a pop-up is not even in the realm of discussion.) -- Paul

S%#%! Did I curse? Seriously, it is good to have a friendly atmosphere in here as it encourages people to ask questions, even dumb ones like mine. I have posted at other forums and been verbally assaulted by people for no good reason. I'm happy to say people are a heck of a lot nicer in here. (Oops, I just had to edit that heck!)

rseven said:
I have posted at other forums and been verbally assaulted by people for no good reason.

Probably because of the Avatar :D.
Just kidding, every time I see that thing it makes me laught, just the expression.

Man, :eek: i must bee wierd. i study the stickes.. put them under microscopse.. i'd disect them if i had a scalpel. I love the stickies.. i pet the stickies... mwuahahaha..

No, seriously though. I regard most stickies with high attention and often check for updates on applicable topics, as they were made stickies for a reason generally... most of the time because of good info. :D

drunkn.bear said:
i havent really seen much swearing or anything either. so i guess this thread is effective, heh
:) Well, this thread was written in a time of greater need. Things have improved markedly since them. -- Paul

macklin01 said:
:) Well, this thread was written in a time of greater need. Things have improved markedly since them. -- Paul

Agreed. The last time I really have been around this section was around the time when this thread was created. I was just thinking the other day that it is improved drastically in here. It really is a nice feeling to come in here and not see out of line posts, especially ones towards those who are new and really do not and cannot know any better. This is what OCforums is about and let's keep it this way! I have been part of countless forums that were probably ten times worse than the situation in here when this thread needed to be created. Experiences like those make OCforums an even more special place. :) :thup: Ok..I'm done back to overclocking.

Not here often, bump. Stickies are my friend. More info then in a box of toasted wheaties. Cause I would have been an idiot and KIllled my a8n without stickies.

Back