• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experimenting with an AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Damian

Usually I'm an Intel fan, but recently I decided to get one of the legendary 1700+ JIUHB DLT3C processors that everyone has been raving about a while ago to play around with. I went on eBay and was lucky to get an 0310UPMW, believed to be the best of the best.

DSCN2304.JPG

I also snagged an NF7, making sure it was a rev 2. Luckily, as we will later see, he did pull through with the claim.

DSCN2308.JPG

The NF7 arrived with a stock AMD heatsink on the northbridge, probsbly to avoid the terrible whine that tiny fans inevitably produce.

I also stuck in a ti4200 since I heard they're extremely good and was curious how they shaped up.
DSCN2310.JPG

So I stuck everything together, put it in my w/c rig, and tried to overclock the hell out of it. The results, however, were terribly dissapointing to say the least. I only got it to 2730 MHz! Not only that, but the FSB was pathetically slow: only 227.
wcpuid.jpg

This is inexcusable... how is it possible that such a legendary, formidable processor do so terrible? I can o/c my 2.4c to 3800 mhz, with an FSB of 317, without even trying. And yet this does over one gigahertz less. Terrible. I couldn't raise the FSB much higher; it wouldn't even POST after 231. I didn't expect much from a chipset made by nvidia, but this was disappointing nonetheless.

Thus, I resigned to experimenting around with the proc, seeing whether I can make it go a bit faster. I had already resigned to using my Intel as my main rig, so I had wanted something to play with that I wouldn't mind dying were I to make a mistake.

I thus decided to do a burn-in, to see whether perhaps all that this proc needed to awaken was stretch it muscles a bit.

To accomplish this, I put together a makeshift flamethrower:
DSCN2312.JPG

Last edited:
The mechanism is straightforward; a wad of cotton is ignited, and the highly flammable araesol combusts upon hitting it. I would've used WD40 for this but I didn't have it, so I resigned to some generic silicone spray.

Next, I brought the mobo and proc outside.
DSCN2313.JPG

Normally high voltages and great patience are required for a successful burn-in, but lighter fluid will do in a pinch:
DSCN2315.JPG

With everything set up the way I wanted to, I lit the cotton wad:
DSCN2317.JPG

...and here's a demonstration of the kind of flames it produces. Very nice for a thorough burn-in.
DSCN2318.JPG

Without further ado, I initiated the burn-in process:
DSCN2319.JPG

Last edited:
Here are some shots of it in progress:
DSCN2321.JPG

DSCN2322.JPG

DSCN2323.JPG

Here's the aftermath:
DSCN2324.JPG

Looks like the NF7 didn't take it too well. Oh well, I had no use for it anyway.

Surprisingly, the processor was almost pristine. Even the label didn't burn off.
DSCN2325.JPG

Last edited:
Another shot:
DSCN2326.JPG

So while the AMD didn't a good processor or combustible fuel, I decided to give it one last chance and see whether it could make a decent percussion instrument:
DSCN2327.JPG

The results were disappointing. It cracked without much force and thus was useless.
DSCN2328.JPG

DSCN2330.JPG

(in case you're wondering, the northbridge heatsink popped off as I was heating it. Guess AA epoxy wasn't designed for these temperatures)

Conclusion:
I had expected a lot more from such a legendary processor; now I have no clue as to why so many people get these. 2700 mhz? Even stock P4s go above that. 230 on the FSB? Try 320. Not only that, but while using it the AMD felt quite laggy, even in such simple programs like IE or Outlook.

Pros:
-uh...

Cons:
-Terrible processor (low speeds, low FSB)
-Doesn't make for good fuel (this is VERY critical here in Massachusetts)
-Terrible musical instrument (a drum doesn't break when you do as much as touch it, does it?)

Last edited:
2700 AMD MHz is like 4200+, you can't get 2.7 AMD MHz out of a DLT3C on air, you can do it with a mobile Barton with luck and quality components though.

But I'm guessing you already knew that and you burnt already broken components or you're a rich kid with too much money to spend.

Damian said:
Horrible. My 2.4c does over 11k.

I sure hope your P4 did 7% better at that synthetic benchmark, since it has 1100 more mhz, 93 more FSB, and double the L2 cache.

If you're looking for a reaction, I don't think you'll get one.

Last edited:
c627627 said:
2700 AMD MHz is like 4200+, you can't get 2.7 AMD MHz out of a DLT3C on air, you can do it with a mobile Barton with luck and quality components though.

But I'm guessing you already knew that and you burnt already broken components or you're a rich kid with too much money to spend.
This was on water as I've said.

Proc wasn't dead; I just had no use for it.

What a waste.... I am quite happy with my two XP1700+s (modestly overclocked to XP2100+)

Like I said, I don't take him seriously and I suggest you Senior Members shouldn't either. He knows full well what the difference between AMD MHz and Intel MHz is.

...yeah I agree, if he destroyed a real working 2.7 GHz AMD system, he did it because he's a rich spoilt brat looking for an 'OMG' reaction from us -- well you ain't getting it buddy.

In the next life, he'll be shipped to a third world country, to see what it feels like working for 25 cents a day -- but what are we doing posting, he wants us to dignify his thread by posting in it and bumping it.

c627627 said:
In the next life, he'll be shipped to a third world country, to see what it feels like working for 25 cents a day -- but what are we doing posting, he wants us to dignify his thread by posting in it and bumping it.
PWN3D(!)

Edit: Whoops

Back