• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Exploding water blocks?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tokayla

Registered
i am thinking of using a car heater core or maybe even a full size car radiator to cool my water rig .. iam guessing iam gonna need one hell of a pump any recomendations? also is a car radiator to big! as the pump may be too powerful and well the waterblocks could go... POP! (or at least crack/leak i know most waterblocks will take 20-30 psi and iam pretty sure that the radiator will takes roughly the same.. but the psi will drop or grow depending on the amount of tubing + blocks etc.. i was thinking of using a gpu cpu and chipset cooler.

thanxs

Ok~ 1. A car radiator is WAY TO BIG
2. A heatercore is JUST RIGHT
3. Most people at MAX use a ehime 1060 600gph PUMP~
4. Using 1/2inch tubing mean a 3/8inch Innerdiameter size~ so flow is restircted no matter what......

Oh ya theres NO WAY IN HECK your going to blow up at block~ i conected a soldered maze 2 to my faucet which comes from a 2HP well pump with 2inch outlet (90+ psi :D:D:D) and it still works........ (until it got a leak cause i tourqed a barb down to much.... :p:p)
Good luck~
But i would get a COPPER TOP block anyways~

Penguin4x4 said:
See? No Expwoding Wabel Bwokz wit a weguwar sysdum...:D:D [/B]

FUN!

but still is it actualy worth using a car radiator just for the crazyness of it?... is it actualy any good at watercooling!.. maybe i could cool 2 computers using it :D

-edit- HOLY ****..

only one thing.. how did any one survive that explosion of coper fragments! id like to see saddam come up with anything to top that nasty weapon.

Last edited:
The Spyder said:
But i would get a COPPER TOP block anyways~ [/B]

yeah i heard what happend to masked... er Jfettig's poly tops Ouch! better now then never i guess

Penguin4x4 said:
A Car Radiator would be overkill, but so is a Prometia system. That said, I say go for it!!:D:D

Woo Hoo... in your face you Crazy subzero people water cooling's crazy too!

(and Cheap! ;))

-edit- no condensation too!

Perfect!

Color Is FUN!

Last edited:
yeah i think 1 ends blocked .. through it could take almost an infinate amount!!!!

I'd say a car radiator would be way overkill (unless it's a tiny car!! ;))

You can only cool to ambient room temp with a radiator or heatercore, and there's a point where the larger size just doesn't give you any more performance. One of the larger Heatercores should be more than sufficient.

The prometeia isnt over kill well uh because uh hey look over there that guy uses propane!:D
Penguin4x4 said:
A Car Radiator would be overkill, but so is a Prometia system. That said, I say go for it!!:D:D

JFettig said:
not thru, the one hole is plugged i think...

Acutally as I see it, the water went THROUGH the blocks seam :D
LOL!

Well, when testing with high pressure water the risk of explosion is much much smaller, since water decompresses instantly when a few drops has escaped the container. Doing so, the block doesn't rip up totally and throw off parts.

Here's one I prepared earlier

I made up this radiator + shroud as a custom request. The metal ruler is 60cm (2 feet) long.

I've included text from the original post I made a few months back over at OCAU.

----------------------

The shroud for this monster has been a bugbear on my back for a while now. Very fiddly with 6 different pieces all bolted together and each with about a dozen measurement and cuts, and a fair bit of folding.

It has 4 x 150CFM 12cm Delta's on board. The radiator is from a Morris Minor, designed for cooling a 1300CC car engine (from memory). The inlet/outlet's are 25mm ID. It's single pass, copper cored, and the shroud has been fairly carefully made to allow each fan to draw upon its own section of the radiator without interfering with each other through the use of the cross-over baffles which you'll be able to see.

Anyways, behold:

amon1.jpg

amon2.jpg

amon3.jpg

amon4.jpg

Cathar, I assume that radiator is run in a vertical position? If so do you know if the system is filled via the radiator and does it filter out air bubbles well? I mean, the filler neck and top part of the radiator should act like a reservoir, does it? Also, do you know what pump & other system components were used with this rad? Any info is appreciated. Cheers.

meh... car radiators are easyer to get then heater cores and heatercores ware out so i can not find a second hand one from some ones car... but radiators.. millions of em! (40% of them without holes/bird carcases or cow imprints)

-edit- Nicely done carthar looks very.. profecional

DragonEngineer said:
The prometeia isnt over kill well uh because uh hey look over there that guy uses propane!:D

But for how long will he be using propane....

Boom!

Re: Here's one I prepared earlier

Cathar said:
I made up this radiator + shroud as a custom request. The metal ruler is 60cm (2 feet) long.
It has 4 x 150CFM 12cm Delta's on board. The radiator is from a Morris Minor, designed for cooling a 1300CC car engine (from memory).

AWW FREAKY !!
To quote Wayne and Garth -"We are not worthy.... We are n..."

Got to be one of the 10 best rad-setup in the world ! :cool:

Just get one of these and mount to the back of your desk (cut hole in back of desk first for airflow). Then strap a couple of Rotrons to it and voila.

lytron.jpg

You know this thing is so big I wonder if you could run it passive? Any thoughts?

Back