• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FAH SMP Client v6.22 MPICH2 Install Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
FAH SMP Client v6.23 MPICH2 Install Guide

FAH SMP Client v6.23 beta MPICH2 Install Guide

• Step-by-Step Instructions:

Note: The Windows SMP Client must be installed under a user account WITH A PASSWORD. Installing the client under a user with NO PASSWORD or a BLANK PASSWORD will result in the client not functioning.

1. Install Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0 SP1 (Windows XP Only)

- download x86 version from here or the x64 version from here

2. Remove any previous FAH SMP Client Installs

- Go to Add/Remove Programs and Remove any previous SMP Client Installs. If you have a previous version setup as a service then remember to run the client with the -configonly flag and remove the service before uninstalling.

- If you needed to uninstall a previous SMP Client you will likely be asked to reboot. If so, do it now and pick up at the next step. If not asked to reboot, reboot anyway and pick up at the next step.

3. Install the Folding@Home SMP Client v6.23 beta MPICH2

- download the MPICH2 client from here

- run the self-extracting installer, you will be presented with the following dialog:

WinSMPInst1.PNG

- Click Next

WinSMPInst2.PNG

- Click Next

WinSMPInst3.PNG

- Windows XP: The Destination Directory given is OK. I prefer to shorten the path to C:\Program Files\FAHSMP\. All further examples in this guide will be run from that location.

- Windows XP 64-bit: Same as above, except be sure to install under the C:\Program Files (x86)\ Folder. For example: C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHSMP\

- Vista 32-bit or 64-bit: DO NOT INSTALL UNDER PROGRAM FILES or PROGRAM FILES (x86). It's recommended to install in either - C:\Users\[username]\ *OR* on the root of C:\. Create a sub-folder under either of those locations. Again, I like to create a Folder named FAHSMP.

examples:

• C:\Users\harlam357\FAHSMP\

• C:\FAHSMP\

- Once you've got the right Destination Directory for your OS, Click Next.

- The installer will go to work... wait for it to finish, then Click Finish.

4. Setup MPICH2

- Go to Start -> Run -> type cmd -> Click Ok.

- Vista Only: Right-Click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as administrator'.

- Navigate to the Destination Directory you chose earlier.

examples:

• type cd "\Program Files\FAHSMP" -> Press Enter

• type cd "\Users\harlam357\FAHSMP" -> Press Enter

- type install -> Press Enter - you will see the following:

Note: Windows Firewall (or any other firewall) will begin to ask questions. You need to Allow both mpiexec.exe and smpd.exe.

MPICH2 Process Manager, Argonne National Lab installed.
      account (domain\user) [(your domain)\(your username)]:

- Be sure to look at what the installer presents as (your domain)\(your username). If they look correct (i.e. 'the name of your machine'\'your current account name'), just Press Enter - you will see the following:

password:

- type your user password (the password you use to login to Windows) ;) -> Press Enter

confirm password:

- do it again... type your user password -> Press Enter

- You should now see the following messages:

Password encrypted into the Registry.
      If you see this twice, MPI is working
      If you see this twice, MPI is working
      Press a key to continue...

- If so, Congratulations!!! You're almost done. ;) Do not close the Command Prompt Window, you'll need it again for Step 6.

- If not, start-over -> type install -> Press Enter

5. Update your client .exe

- download the latest client .exe file from here

- Save the file in the Folder where you installed the FAH SMP Client and overwrite the file that is already there.

6. Configure the SMP Client

- type Folding@home-Win32-x86 -configonly -> Press Enter

- Here's a rundown of how I configure a client for my 'User name'. Please note that options such as 'Memory, in MB, to indicate' and 'Machine ID (1-16)' can, and most likely will, be different than mine. Every FAH client installed on a machine needs a different Machine ID to run correctly. If you have more than one FAH client installed on your machine, be sure to check the Machine ID of the other clients first to avoid any conflicts.

FAHSMP2.png

7. Run It!

Note: Anti-Virus programs can be problematic for FAH clients. Please be sure to set an exclude on your FAH Client directories.

- type Folding@home-Win32-x86 -smp -verbosity 9 -forceasm -> Press Enter

Last edited:
- 02/14/09: Revised with links to v6.23 client installer and executable.

Last edited:
Sorry Steve... @ 6:00pm I was just getting home from work. ;)

Since then I've...

- talked to an old college buddy on the phone

- did my evening exercise routine (jane fonda's workout video)

- reinstalled my 8800GTs into my 780i board -> drivers installed -> got it Folding 2xGPU + 2xVM

- cooked dinner -> watched some US Open Tennis

- wrote this guide

- got my other quad I was testing back up and running -> 1xGPU + 2xVM

- wrote this post... :D

Only reason I mentioned the time was because I was trying to help kr4yzie get his SMP working (while mine was still munching on a single core WU) in the few minutes before I had to run to a 3.5 hour lecture.

Tried to finish helping him out about when you posted this guide (when I got back), but he was still having issues. He says he's got it worked out now, but I wasn't able to guide him along the install propperly.

Just yankin' yer chain man... :D

I hope this helps some folks out... it's still a bit different than the Deino install and I thought we needed some instructions, especially considering the Deino MPI doesn't run on x64.

This is more of a 'let's just get it running' kind of guide... not a 'let's go over every idiosyncrasy' kind of guide. As simple and laymen as I could make it while still assuming people know some basics.

One thing I'm trying to do is get shortcuts made up so that it runs the app w/ the flags I want to run so that I don't have to use command line prompts any more.

First kind of discovered that trick while reading one of the GPU2 guides, and was like "Wow, that's awesome! I should totally copy that trick."

Thanx for the walkthrough! All of a sudden I was having ton of problems with the 2665 project getting early wu end warnings around 30% finished and I keep receiving the same damn WU everytime I delete my work and queue files?! It even happens at stock, even with a changed-out mainboard I have around. We'll see what happens during the following day...

Have you updated your main client .exe to beta2r3? Step 5 in the guide.

Could be the WU... but you will only receive the same WU three times, so if it happens more than that then there is either - a string of bad WUs - you need to update your client .exe (should do that anyway) - or you indeed have some type of stability problem.

Have you updated your main client .exe to beta2r3? Step 5 in the guide.

Could be the WU... but you will only receive the same WU three times, so if it happens more than that then there is either - a string of bad WUs - you need to update your client .exe (should do that anyway) - or you indeed have some type of stability problem.

Only now I updated the client .exe cuz I didn't know there was an updated version. It should fold 100% stable cuz it's a setup and forget system with an Intel G35 mainboard (no OCing) onboard video and Corsair XMS2 quality RAM @spd settings...

It reads 1K4**, but these are perfect examples of USELESS replies....(!)

Can anyone HELP me out and tell me what files and/or folders to delete to score that 1K5 ppd for our Team32 again?

Sorry.

Have you deleted all the files in the work directory and then deleted queue.dat in the main folding directory?

Follow Torin's advice, to get rid of that out of date WU.

No it doesn't. Not on my crummy monitor at least.

Sleepy_Steve: He's in the Netherlands, and they use the European convention of a comma, where we use a period, in our numbers.

So it's really just 1.4K, to us in the States.

Thanx man! The problem persisted cuz I did delete the work folder but not the queue.dat file...grrrr! I'll let it rip and see if my Corsair RAM is stable at 4-4-4-12 timings (it needs 2.1V for that but my Intel mainboard only gives the stock 1.8V).

bump... until this gets integrated into the main sticky... I'd like to do a couple edits before that gets done... hint, hint... I'll let you mods know when it's ready. ;)

Back