• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Failed Raid1 set after OC disk management will not recover

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

STBEngineer

Intro: Hi - I am new to overclockers but have been a fan for years since my first OC in 1999. AFter i get this data issue resolved I'll be back to help me get my Asus P5Q Pro Turbo w A9400 up to 3.2G or higher.

Issue:
Failure of Two 1GB HDD drives, Mirrored-RAID1, using Win7x32 Disk Management, 1GB on OC’d system were removed from system after Boot drive failed, and reinstalled on the same system, after new SSD and Win10x64 was installed. Win10x64 Disk Management has marked the drives as dynamic, online, and failed after Import Foreign Disks command.

Initial System Configuration when the drives were mirrored in 2011:
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Q9400, OC’d to 3.2G with FSB=400Mhz and some voltages modified. C: drive were two 36GB Raptors in Raid0 using ACH10 Intel Raid controller. Windows 7x32. All drives SATA interface.

Current Configuration with the drives not accessible:
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Q9400, Default BIOS. C: drive changed to SSD Samsung 850 Pro 240MB. New Win10x64. All drives installed on same SATA interface as before.

Possible Actions that contributed to the Issue:
The Initial system failed and would not restart into BIOS. Following checklist, system was restored with a reset of the CMOS, battery was also replaced. I then worked on the OC’ing to bring the CPU speed up when the system failed again. This time the RAID0 ACH10 C: drives were not recoverable. I found several posts on restoring the Raid0 and ACH10 which required use of “TestDisk”. I was not successful. The RAID1 drives were removed from the system without following the disconnect procedure. I decided having an SSD and Winx64 would be better as it would (1) Increase C: from 72G to 240G (2) Faster – Wow – its fast (3) x64 will allow me to grow memory from 4 to 8GB, (4) I have backups on the mirror drive to recover all desktop and C: files

Minimum Goal for Success:
Reattach One of the two drives to have access to the Data files in both partitions that existed on the Mirrors.

The drives were attached via original SATA cables. Win10x64 recognized both the Drives as Foreign. “Import Foreign” was executed. Drives are shown as “Dynamic” “Online” and partitions are marked “Failed”. Rescan and other commands do not seem to work. The drives are shown with red bar indicating Mirrored. Unusually, the drives do not show the same partitions. Drive 0 has two partition, Drive 1 has three partitions. The shown size of Drv0Prt0 = Drv1Prt0 + Drv1Prt1. Drv0Prt2 = Drv1Prtr3 in size.

“TestDisk” was used to view the drives. I have found all the data, but sometimes I have to use the deepscan to find it. I am careful NOT to execute any write functions as I am not clear what the heck I would be doing. TestDisk seems to show the same partition count matching what Windows Disk Management is showing.

I even found two posts on using HEXEDIT to change a single byte on the file data so it would change from dynamic to basic and I could attach a single drive.

I don’t want to risk the data yet but I can execute this with ease. My skill set is degreed computer engineer but not in the PC field – Video and Telecom. Thanks!

I would try the free Recuva software. We use it occasionally here and it may work out well in this application.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

If you data is important, don't delete or format either of your drives. Instead find or buy a drive that can act as a receptacle for your recovered data. That way if one drive gets damaged beyond recovery, you still have the other. Maybe borrow a drive?

Since it was mirrored, I would think that you could easily get your data back.

Hi Don256! Thanks for the advice - I did try this but Recuva cannot find the drive to start with. i think that I have to get the Disk Management in Win10 to somehow either mount the drive from dynamic to "basic", or to recognize them as mirrored together. Thanks for responding. cliff

I have in the past formatted a dirve so that Windows can see it then used Recuva to find the data. That would be destructive in order to be productive.

Thanks, I used recuva and testdisk to copy the files to a spare drive. i appear to have recovered everything. thanks:D

Back