• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan location

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peewee

i have made 5 holes in my case 2 on the bottom of one side 120mm each 2 on the top of the other side 120mm each and 1 in the center on the top panel.... i plan on haveing the 2 bottom ones pullin in and the 3 top ones pullin out... is this the best setup??

peewee (Jul 19, 2001 05:12 p.m.):
i have made 5 holes in my case 2 on the bottom of one side 120mm each 2 on the top of the other side 120mm each and 1 in the center on the top panel.... i plan on haveing the 2 bottom ones pullin in and the 3 top ones pullin out... is this the best setup??

Sounds quite all right, but I guess that amount /size of fans will "sound" a lot as well?

Fjeld (Jul 19, 2001 05:19 p.m.):
peewee (Jul 19, 2001 05:12 p.m.):

Sounds quite all right, but I guess that amount /size of fans will "sound" a lot as well?

yeah prolly be loud i can always disconnect one on each side....

I have 1 90 in the front pullin in, 2 90's on the side pullin in,2 80's in the back, up top blowing out, 2 60's in the back blowing out and a pci slot fan and mine isn't all that loud. But it cools like a mutha%#^&*#!!!! Just finished installing them last night and they work sweet.

CSaddict (Jul 19, 2001 06:03 p.m.):
I have 1 90 in the front pullin in, 2 90's on the side pullin in,2 80's in the back, up top blowing out, 2 60's in the back blowing out and a pci slot fan and mine isn't all that loud. But it cools like a mutha%#^&*#!!!! Just finished installing them last night and they work sweet.

i just bought 5 reostats from radio shack and 5 led light to control the fans...

I have a very similar setup on my tbird ... and my ambient temps are 1 degree above room temps, so i think you are on the right track. You would be wise to invest some time in build that fanbus though. It will really save your eyes and sanity when you don't need all that airflow.

Sometimes more is less ! Take the time to realize that case and motherboard makers have an idea about airflow. They spent a lot of money doing research in a wind tunnel I am sure. They position things where they do based on there air flow data. Cool air is drawn in the bottom front of the case and it rises. It comes up across the cpu and rises up thru the bottom of the power supply and is exhausted out the rear. The AMD web page show a great diagram of this. aka one picture is worth a thousand words !

When you add a few fans to the sides, in most cases it disrupts the intended airflow. Think about it for a minute. A fan on each side, one in and one out , pulling air across the middle of the case takes air away from the power supply. The air that was going to flow up to the power supply and be drawn across the hot spots of the power supply is now being sucked out the side of the case.

When you change one thing, you may wind up changing things you didn't want to.

Well thats my 2 cents/ Billy

CSaddict (Jul 19, 2001 06:03 p.m.):

Why the frick did you spend all that money and time to put all those fans in. With that money, you can just get a god damned 1100 Mhz Athlon and using retail fan/heatsink.

Back