• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Farcry 5 is 16 Shades of Awesome (UPDATE: ...for 5 hours)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
I know a lot of you have been PC gaming for at least as long as I have (and I go all the way back to the beginning.) So a number of you probably have ALL the Far Cry games and never played them (why do I feel like I already wrote this thread??). Or maybe you tried 1 or 3... and left it at that.

Far Cry 5... from what I read at least... was really the beginning of something NEW that continues on to Far Cry 6.

It's still just a much more serious Just Cause with better gameplay, story, and visuals (though not nearly as "arcade fun" of course) so if you're not into the whole "liberate this part of town" concept... then maybe you won't like it. But it's EXTREMELY good at immersing you in this "Stranger in a hostile land" story.

And I find the shooting and being shot to be pretty realistic as well.

So if you ever get any downtime... and you already own Farcry 5 anyway... then it's defintiely worth a shot.

I'm using FC5/6 only because of a built-in benchmark and I got them for free with some AMD stuff. It's not convincing me enough to play it, but I believe it can be fun.

Same. Just use the integrated benchmark in the last couple for reviews. I've only played 1 as the spiritual predecessor to Crysis.

If I ever jump genres, I'll give a look though.

Yeah Jeff (Stereo55) and I played FC4 & FC5 pretty often. Quite a bit of fun. We also play the DLC's included. We've been playing Sniper Elite 5 since release and Sniper Elite 4. I think I played 500 hours of it :thup:

Have you tried PUBG, Neb?? It's free to play now. Of you like the gunplay of SE4/5, you like PUBG's gunplay (maybe not the Battle royale genre, I dont know).

Have you tried PUBG, Neb?? It's free to play now. Of you like the gunplay of SE4/5, you like PUBG's gunplay (maybe not the Battle royale genre, I dont know).
Yeah I tried it. Not my cup of tea. It's a free-for-all rapid-fire type of game. I also disliked the fact an open world starts to shrink. I prefer the gunplay of SE4 & 5. There's a DLC/Addon pack called "Hours of darkness" in FC5 that's pretty cool. A vietnam war type game and the gunplay in that is really cool.

Fairly sure I only played the 1st one, remember it being heavy on the hardware for the time like Crysis? Story still roughly the same or?

Fairly sure I only played the 1st one, remember it being heavy on the hardware for the time like Crysis? Story still roughly the same or?
NAH dude... Story's gotten a COMPLETE overhaul. I think that all began with 5.

Not so heavy on the hardware anymore either since, I believe, everything is using Unreal Engine these days...

I loved FC5 I just hate the BS capture maze thing you have to do.FC6 doesn't have that and Its a lot better........OOOOthe cat just farted OOOOwow
Post magically merged:

She sits on my should.........

Don't know about the capture maze... YET. I'm playing FC5 *because* I just bought 6 and I wanted to finish 5 first because I remember starting it and being intrigued by the story.

The maze is.....when one of the seed guys captures you because you've blown up a lot of the stuff. You run this shoot house "maze" and try to make it to the end without dying. You have to use a few different guns, then you wake up in a strange place, and "no you didn't get rapped". :unsure:o_OYou have to repeat it until you get it right. It's more of a PITA than anything else

Always get these as soon as they come out...Only #2 wasn't finished. Loved them except for the parts as mentioned above, the obligatory psychedelic parts I hate in all of them...

If I was in charge I would task the writers with getting us a happy ending...#6 was better and #1 was good but the rest had crap endings IMHO.

The maze is.....when one of the seed guys captures you because you've blown up a lot of the stuff. You run this shoot house "maze" and try to make it to the end without dying. You have to use a few different guns, then you wake up in a strange place, and "no you didn't get rapped". :unsure:o_OYou have to repeat it until you get it right. It's more of a PITA than anything else
Yeah I blew through that within minutes. Every section of the maze you pick up a new weapon and let all hell loose. When I woke up I noticed I was nekkid, but I live alone.......:sly:

The hard part is when you have to kill the leader. Now THAT is a pita!

I've gotten MUCH better in deciding where my time and energy is best used.

I'd stand by everything that I said about the first few hours of Farcry 5: They come out the gate ready to make a strong impression.

After that... however... it becomes less like the first two Kingsmen movies... and more like The Kingsman prequel. (If you saw all three of those... then I don't have to explain any further...)

I played enough with the game to "get it." From that point out it was pretty much going to be an extreme repetition of what I'd done the first couple hours. Always with some amazing cutscenes thrown in... but never elevating any higher than that.

I learned a lot by wasting 3-4 years playing Marvel Future Fight.

For those not in the know... it's a mobile game that slowly drains your wallet and the main object is to fight the same six bosses (there are three more... but they REALLY don't count...) over and over again.

It's really a magic trick how they suck you into this. It consumed most of my free time and a sad amount of my NOT-so-free time.

Then finally, one day, I deleted it. And I never played it again. (So far.)

So I didn't hesitate to put two in the back of the head of Far Cry 5. At this point people are used to Ubisoft trying to pull a fast one on them.
Watch Dogs 2 was amazingly inspired. Watch Dogs Legion was an absolute travesty (that's why they gave away so many copies of Watch Dogs 2 before Legion came out... to get you thinking Legion was going to be more like that...)

I'm just BETTER at not getting suckered into these half-*** cons now.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled The Last of Us: Remastered... (so that I can eventually play The Last of Us Part 2... which I bought a year ago and never installed...)

Just figured, since I was raving about Far Cry 5 so much... I needed to amend my opinion for those who haven't bought/tried it yet.

Yeah I hear ya! I'm all "Far Cry"ed out. I played every Far Cry game out. I get my game fix with the DLC's in FC5. One I like the most is the Vietnam DLC. Tho a very short game, it's pretty fun.

I've been spending my loot on Sniper Elite. Jeff (Stereo55) and I played through all the maps and finished the game within a week of Sniper Elite 5. We'll bounce back and forth between 5 and 4.

I also have a crapload of freebie games on EPIC & GOG which I haven't touched. Every time a good freebie game is out, Jeff will email me and I'll snag it. I think between the two platforms I have about 100 freebie games :ROFLMAO:

Back