• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FCPGA-Multiplier unlocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Every few months you see this type of thread on one forum or another. The longest one I saw was I think 4 pages and spanned at least a month and a half. It's pretty amazing how you can take otherwise inteligent people and just whip them to a froth. I will be keeping tabs on this thread, but strictly for entertainment purposes. :)

hmmm.... about frying the resistor... try this.... take a fan and cut the wires.... now you have 12v to put anywhere you want.... how about if someone puts those wires acros the resistors??? wouldnt that beat desoldering it???

I can just imagine a bunch of poor fools trying to desolder (rip off?) resistors from their one and only CPU, then not being able to post their negative results because they've trashed the heart of their only computer.

Good luck to those who try it, I'm sure you'll need lots. ;-)

jon

Dumbass BP6'er (Apr 23, 2001 09:05 p.m.):
I can just imagine a bunch of poor fools trying to desolder (rip off?) resistors from their one and only CPU, then not being able to post their negative results because they've trashed the heart of their only computer.

jon

THIS IS WHAT THEY TOLD THE WRIGHT BROTHERS BEFORE THEY FLEW :)
this story very well could be a hoax from the get go BUT with some study and research and allot of the intelligence ive found here at OC.com someone may crack this. what ever happened to the proper translation of the original article? i think before anyone else fries a chip more research should be done by some of our qualified senior members and i know there working on this and I thank them.
john

Dumbass BP6'er (Apr 23, 2001 09:05 p.m.):

jon

THIS IS WHAT THEY TOLD THE WRIGHT BROTHERS BEFORE THEY FLEW :)
this story very well could be a hoax from the get go BUT with some study and research and allot of the intelligence ive found here at OC.com someone may crack this. what ever happened to the proper translation of the original article? i think before anyone else fries a chip more research should be done by some of our qualified senior members and i know there working on this and I thank them.
john

The wright brothers didn't become the first to fly by ripping canvas off the wings of their plane.

I'm not saying that multiplier unlocking isn't possible (who knows, maybe someone'll figure out how to override the chip's PROM some day), I'm just saying that removing resistors is not a likely solution to the problem.

jon

i'll buy a damned P3 and try it for myself!!
you intel guys must be women, because you lack BALLS (no offense to women, just going for a hype here)

i'll buy a damn P3 and a crappy mobo, and give it a friggin try, casue none of you will.

Also, i <b><u><i>do</u><i><b> SMD soldering... if ne1 near manitoba canada has a pair, lemme know, i'll whip out my trusty 10 dollar soldering iron... i could resolder things onto a slotket with no room for the tip, i can do it on the front of a chip. (no screwdriver needed)

I think that this would have happpened a while ago.

For the remarker, there is a LOT OF money in it. You really think one of those lot wouldn't have sat down and tried it? Clutching at straws sort thing?

I saw a post a while back showing the bottom of a chip over an tomshardware which was unlocked. He said "take these pins off and your chip in unlocked". Of course, if you did, yo uwould kill your chip. There is something special about the engineering samples.

My old CBO celeron had not all the resistors on the bottom, but my CCO does. I don't think it has anything to do with multiplier.s But at the end of the day, does it make THAT much difference???

Overclocking by FSB is quite fine. Sure, it;'s nice to put the multipler low and up the FSB, but the performance increase is not THAT major.

I'd be happy to do it......
The thing is I'd like to see everything before dropping $100.
Checking around, I'm debating getting an 866 like he said, or just getting an el cheapo 500 or something like that.....

I'm REEEEEEALLY skeptical. But hey, if the bunch here can't make it happen, it probably won't.

My 2cents:

Hypothesis: The location of the resistors is the real deciding factor on the "native" multiplier.

Then before anyone whips out the soldering iron or any other tool, let's prove it first. Among all the P3 owners, what can be seen and compared across the spectrum of multipliers. If we can identify each, we have something. Other wise, it's like Wil and Orville jumping off a cliff with a contraption because someone told them it would work.

Let's gather data before we take leaps of faith. I am not familiar with P3's. How hard is it to get a view of the resistors in question?

SteveI

i told ya that I'd rip apart my Girlfriend's 800 EB cC0... but i am not a rich man. Need $$ in case it doesn't work. (Besides...She's gonna kick me outta the big-bed if i mess her 'puter up!)

ok, I'm a bit of a newbie here, but I've an idea.

Couldn't we all compare the layout of the resistors of our varying P3's and see if there are differences ?
If so we may be able to work out a pattern for the layout.

ok, he's a pic of my FC-PGA P3 gig;

here's a blank one for others to edit with their different speed cpu's

of course; if the resistor layout is the same for all P3 then forget I said anything...

:)

My P3 cA2 500E FCPGA has all the resistors in place. I'll pop my cB0 700E out tommarrow and have a look see.

But I still think that this is hog wash.

First off I just want to comment on the post(s) about intel groupies not having balls. If AMD fans didn't have a walk through saying step by step how to do it and that it would work in the end I doubt that their would be too many willing to fry any speed processor if it was their only one. Anyhoo, I'm getting a new PIII 850 soon and will compare it to the 500E I've got now and might give it a try if you guys give me enough peer pressure lol.

I looked very closely at my pair of slot one Katmai's and saw no difference in the two, but if anybody knows of a link to an article that tells how to unlock slot ones, I will give it a try, as my PIII 450 is sitting idle without a home. The 500 I have is now sold, so thet one is out of the question. I also have a celeron 300a I would be willing to mod... if anybody has seen anything on it, please post a link, as I'm still a pretty good hand at soldering. I would like to become famous for "unlocking" a PIII, after all it would look really good on a resume'
"So you are the famous Mad Clocker" sounds good to me

I dont know if anyone knows of this but people thought that the H-card and now the Hu-card of direct tv couldnt be hacked etc...and now look. Its been done. Millions of dollars of security hacked like nothing. So who knows what can be done.

I find it interesting..

But, perhaps this german guys chip was modified in some other form, when it was damaged. Perhaps the resistors were part of it, but something else gave that he didnt know about.

As for DirectTV:

I cant help but laugh at those who buy hacked systems, since DireccTV is working on a new system, that will put an end to such things in the next 6 - 9 months.

Tell you what! If you have a slot1 p3 then the multi lock can be overcome. But if you have no electronics background then it is a waste of time to explain. It is dif for every p3 slot I have tried. I have yet to figure out how the freq across a certain area of the board will change the multiplier. The p3 600e got toasted cause the freq that I set my liitle oscilator at set the multi at 10x. Post to the ram check and locked. But this could have been due to a lack of proper equipment on my part. I just used a soldering iron and some solder...I used nothing to dissapate the heat being transfered to the chip!! But the problem is this I can get a p3 500e to a multi of 8x and bamm....post at 800 and runs fine. Tried to push for 133fsb and no luck. The time to study is what is needed and another p3 slot1. If my hunch is right then you can use the freq that Intel has the chip set for to get what ever multi you want....but only one at a time. I need to get another and try again. But study it a little more this time.

Back