• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fdisk Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

I am trying to get an old Seagate 1.6gig hard drive to work with a Pentium 1 system. There is no primary, extended, logical, or non dos partition or partition set on the hard drive. I just want C: with no partitions. What size should the primary, extended, or logical dos drive be ??? Any sites where I can learn about fdisk and how to properly use it would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks guy's !!!

if you are only dealing with the one drive, fdisk is easy to work.

Boot to pure DOS, and run fdisk-

say YES, you do want to enable larg-disk support( this enables FAT32)

option 4 should tell you info about teh current partitions- take a look, see if it has any already. Probably not- next step!

After that, option 1- create new DOS partition- choose it, then choose 1 again- and enter the size of the partition you wanna make. In your case, just hit enter to use the whole drive. Wait a bot and let FDISK do it's thing. It will automatically set that drive as primary boot partition so you can boot off it once you put windows or whatever on it.

Exit FDISK thru the menu, and format the drive, cuz you're done!:)

Last edited:
Just a quick note: You have to reboot between making partitions and formatting them.

Don't worry if the partitions dont add up to 1.6GB - they will likely not.

Just a quick note: You have to reboot between making partitions and formatting them.

Yes, good reminder dude! I personally almost always forget that step and wonder why it won't seem to work- remember to reboot after FDISK, before you FORMAT!

Back