• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Film Editing Computer, $1500, Tips, Tricks, Info, And Ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have 2 monitors you should buy an X800GTO2 with two DVI connectors and you should use the lcd as your editing screen and your crt as your previewing screen.

has anyone used this water cooling set ? http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-50.html if so, what do you think of it. Does it work good, bad, are there better ones i should be looking for. i found the same one on tigerdirect for 10$ or so cheaper http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1532937&Sku=T925-2108 and what about this cpu water block? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1710664&CatId=499 the Thermaltake Volcano 405, would it fit on the first system or no? Thanks

larva said:
You just supplied the proof yourself, thanks for not making me chase it down. Notice the 930 is outperforming the Opty 165 by nearly 20% in the link you showed... Heaven forbid we should try a 940.

And this test is obviously not utilizing multiple threads efficiently, or the 3800+ would get smoked. Toss a 670 in there and it would wipe the floor in this (fairly non-representative) test. As pointed out earlier that software is outdated, and you will find that the current stuff will increase the lead of the Intel processors.

And bear in mind that raw CPU power alone is not the factor that drives serious video editing to Intel. It's the chipsets, folks. I know you've grown so used to the nature of Via, Sis and Nvidia chipsets that you don't see this as a factor, but try to produce sizeable quantities of truly high-quality video cost-effectively day-in and day-out and you will.

Just thank your lucky stars you at least have Nividia, I am fully aware that they are better than Via and Sis. They are still not equal to Intel chipsets, especially in serious video editing applications.

Looks like I got more the 2 right....

yeah i figured that but since i already had one going, and people knew what i was trying to do, it might be easier to ask here. ill go make a thread over there though :)

What are the main differences between the Opty 165 and 170 ? Besides the opty has a 10x multiplier and the 170 has a 11x ? Does that mean i could get more out of the 170?

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
yeah i figured that but since i already had one going, and people knew what i was trying to do, it might be easier to ask here. ill go make a thread over there though :)

What are the main differences between the Opty 165 and 170 ? Besides the opty has a 10x multiplier and the 170 has a 11x ? Does that mean i could get more out of the 170?

The Vapo should whip water cooling but the price diffence really can be rediuclus.. Not to mention the other hazards of running such equipment. Or the fact that if you really dug deep and read alot about it the Vapo units could be built for half the price they sell for or less. It's your call really but I really dont see the need unless your planing on benching this thing.

When it comes to the 165 or 170 if your going to be investing in 1Gig sticks (they are tougher to get higher FSB or HTT whatever you want to call it these days.. LOL) of ram it will be alot easier to get a CPU with a higher multiplyer (the 170) if you plan on overclocking it now or later. (psst.. this is a little secret.. dividers really don't effect AMD procs. perfomance, HTT and FSB of your memory really doesnt matter if you dont plan on running it 1:1, wich you really dont have to.)

This is of couse assuming that your not desideing to go intel for video editing :shrug: presslers are going to get uber cheap hear pretty soon anyway. :)
the mobo's might not drop in price though :shrug:

greenmaji said:
The Vapo should whip water cooling but the price diffence really can be rediuclus.. Not to mention the other hazards of running such equipment. Or the fact that if you really dug deep and read alot about it the Vapo units could be built for half the price they sell for or less. It's your call really but I really dont see the need unless your planing on benching this thing.

Im gonna want to get it as high as i can and get as much out of it as possible. Would making my own water cooling system be much better? Ill read some more stickies on water cooling.. If not water, ill probably get the scythe ninja

greenmaji said:
When it comes to the 165 or 170 if your going to be investing in 1Gig sticks (they are tougher to get higher FSB or HTT whatever you want to call it these days.. LOL) of ram it will be alot easier to get a CPU with a higher multiplyer (the 170) if you plan on overclocking it now or later. (psst.. this is a little secret.. dividers really don't effect AMD procs. perfomance, HTT and FSB of your memory really doesnt matter if you dont plan on running it 1:1, wich you really dont have to.)

Would it be better to invest in 2 1 gig sticks or 4 512 gig sticks? And what abouit 4x1gig and running 4 gigs of ram? What would that do? I havnt heard of anyone running 4 gigs of ram... I always thought the more ram the better

I thought you were talking about phase man.. :D
But water would give you some more OCing headroom.. (and if you got really ambitious a chiller could be in your future)

Memory.. everyone seems to have issues with 4 512Mb sticks.. I would go with 2 1Gig sticks if I wanted 2 gigs of system memory, BF2 and your Video software could benifit from 2gigs.. and I dont know what application would need 4 gigs of ram other then AutoCad or some server applications, 4gigs of ram might be enough future proofing to make the rest of your system old news before you even need it. In other words, for your application I dont know if 4gigs is a sound investment, you could always go with gig sticks and upgrade the amount of system ram later if need be.

<--- Former video engineer

You'll find final cut systems dominate the low end market, very little windows boxes are video editors out there.

I've setup Premier Pro systems before, this is the machine I recomend.

With video editing, cpu horsepower, hard disk speed and space are king. Make sure you get a video card that has at least a composite video output, (better to have Y/C or component) so you can preview your video in NTSC color space. Budget out a good calibratable CRT video montior like this one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=286529&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

You can easily spend $1500 on video monitor. If you're doing HD you can spends tens of thousands!

For CPU I'd probably do an overclocked Opteron 165. If you don't have any expirence overclocking I'd just not think about it! You want a 100 percent stable system! Video editing is absolutely brutal on your computer! It will shake out the flaws. The Discreet smole editor we bought last year had a dual core Operton. Ours is similar to the HD system, although all of those are 10-bit systems, I don't know why it system 8-bit.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5562809

The raid we selected: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=407912&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Other then AMD, you can't go wrong with the new 65nm Pentium Ds. They are relatively cheap and quick out of the box.

2GB of ram is sufficient. Leave the rest of the money for harddisk space.

You can do a 300GB raid 0 for your video raid and then just a cheapo 120GB for your system/programs.

Back up is important. Get one of those external 300GB hard disks.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Michael Warren said:
If you have 2 monitors you should buy an X800GTO2 with two DVI connectors and you should use the lcd as your editing screen and your crt as your previewing screen.

For preview you want a video montior, not a computer monitor! Computer monitors weren't designed for viewing video.

They will work, but you won't have any idea what your video is going to look like untill you view on your output source. Often on short turn arounds that's what you'll be giving your client.

First of all the xbit bench shows the 930 beating the 165 at less than 20%. And if it was a stable 2.6gig opty 165 it would be neck and neck between the 2. Its funny how a chip with only 2.2ghz and 512 L2 cache beat the 930 with 2mb L2. And im not understanding how the newer software that takes advantage of the dual cores is going to somehow put the intels in the lead. all of those cpu's in the 1.5 test were DC's to begin with. I would think the amd's would stay in the lead. Go with amd man. Alot of video editors are moveing over to amd for a reason. Just hit up a few video editing forums and you will see. Alot of people are intel diehards and will never say a good thing about a amd in this arena. But alot more people everyday are changeing there minds. That doesn't mean amd is not a good choice.

Secondly the guy does not need any hdd space cept for maybe a small hdd for os and prog's and a mid size for small storage. He has tons of exernals to use. He said he has a few 120's and 300's laying around. Im sure he is not worried.

Dont get anything special on the ram good 3200 ram will do. 2 gigs and nothing less. If you have the cash for 4 then go ahead it wont hurt you later on as you will have needed to upgrade to that in a year or so anyway.

Video card is not as big a deal for the type of editing your going to be doing. First of all if you get into the high end editing that would demand a better card then you will need to learn alot about how to use the software to utilize it anyway. And that is not something you will do over night. Now if your really really into getting to know everything about this software then you might look into reading alot of material or even takeing a small class on it but your in highschool so this is not something that is going to be easy to do. If its your dad that will be doing most of the editing, as I take from your first post he is, then maybe he will have to look into it.

If your going amd and a opteron then look into a 165 as you will most likely be able to oc it to 2.6g fairly easy and most likely very stable But nothing is as good as stock.

Dont forget that football season is 4-5 months away and am2 is comeing out. I know it will only be the first wave of the new stuff but its a option anyway. Faster ddr2 ram and maybe better prices for the stuff you are looking at now so you can get better stuff for less $$$.

Last edited:
hmmm thanks for everyones replys :) sorry i havnt been on lately, been extremely busy working on this website. trying to set up a linux box with MySQL and its giving me problems importing my database lol. Anyways...

Whats going to be the difference between am2 besides using ddr2? And what about the intel conroe? Is it going to be THAT much better than todays cpus? I.E. the FX60 and the Intel Extreme edition. Anyways, good news. I might be able to get everything up to 50% off, that that pushes my budget to 3000$ but still staying at 1500 :D That way, i might just be able to go with the fx-60. But what about this am2 stuff? is it going to be dual core? im gonna read up a bit on it in a few minutes...

The news so far has conroe ahead by somewere around 15% but no real world benching yet, just some reviews.
look around, the conroe 2.66Ghz beat out a 2.8Ghz FX-60 by 20%. and the expected increase in performance for AM2 is 5-7%. but who knows wich one scales better. wich wouldn't matter if your not going to overclock.
And when do you need this computer built? At the EARLIEST you might be able to build a AM2 or Conroe system is July and thats very optimistic, if you need this before Fall plan accordingly.

Back