• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final decision on coolant additive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voigts

I have spent hours researching and looking at alternatives to standard ethylene glycol based additives due to the discussion on the "ethylene glycol can kill" sticky. The recommended thing seems to be propylene glycol based antifreeze as it is non-toxic. However, there is not much to choose from in this area, the primary suggestion that I considered being Engine Ice. However, this stuff is premixed 50/50 and costs $20 for a half gallon.

I decided that what I am after is something that only provides corrosion protection without any glycol of any type at all since freeze/boiling protection is not needed in a standard watercooled PC. I have read about problems with water-wetter and purple ice, so I crossed them out. And introducing fluids designed for cars makes me wonder what else I am introducing that may not be necessary or even harmful in the PC watercooling environment.

I looked into different SCAs (supplemental coolant additives) used in diesel engines as a possibility, but it seemed awfully complicated to make sure the correct amount is added.

So finally, I think I have found what I am looking for. Sharka computers carries Aqua Computer AC fluid non-corrosive water additive. This stuff purports to only be a non-corrosive additive. I looked around and found a few people on other forums that seem to be very pleased with it, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this stuff. It seems that using a non-corrosive only avoids the problems associated with glycol additives in both viscosity and lethality, but does what is most important in that it prevents corrosion.

voigts said:
The problem is that fluid XP is very expensive.

It sure is. And plus the non-conductivity only lasts until you pour it into your loop, then it becomes conductive. But I guess if you have althritist or something and have trouble pouring then you might consider it.

Back